Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:29 pm

Author Topic: Tank protection  (Read 1404 times)

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
Tank protection
« on: 16 February 2012, 01:06:44 pm »
Hi all,
What are your views on baglux/bagster tank covers. Are they best removed when you wash your bike? are they bad for holding moisture in ?
Looks ?
My bike is a black FZ1N.
Is there anything else you would recommend for tank protection ?

Thanks in advance to any advice given,
Russ
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
Re: Tank protection
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2012, 03:21:07 pm »
Baglux recomends tank covers are treated with a waterproofer, which helps avoid the moisture problem.  I give the cover a decent treatment a couple of times a year (and a clean too), otherwise a quick spray down the seams when I wash the bike. 

I put a layer of polish on the tank and don't buff it off a couple of times a year too.  The base of the harness is fairly soft so, if that is kept clean, it wont scratch your tank.

When you say "Is there anything else you would recomend for tank protection", do you mean just tank protection or protection from a Baglux harness?
If you just want protection and not a way to carry a bag, the only areas of the tank that will get scuffed are where bit rub against it (like knees or your bits!), why not try http://www.invisiblepatterns.co.uk/paint-protection-film-yamaha.html or similar.  Tank kit covers zip and knee area.  You wont need the full kit, but this will stop stone chips in the fairing and lights too.  The kit is almost invisable.

If you want to funk up the looks, MotoGrafix do a similar stick on kit with funky colour scheme (or they do for the Fazer, so I guess they do the FZ1 too).

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2012, 12:50:27 pm »
Russ, I've got the Baglux cover on 'Bee, the tank is the only clean part on her!
:rollin

Well worth fitting imho, you've seen how badly I treat her but that wee cover is superb.
Also dead handy for sticking a cargo net on for carrying wee things from the shop, saves faffing about with luggage.

fazer6868

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2012, 06:19:10 pm »
have used baglux for donkeys years and on my gen 1 for 132k.

tank like new..all i do is brush any grit and crap off the inside when i need to take it off( say twice a year) and give the tank a quick polish