Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:19 pm

Author Topic: 5 man Tent Advice  (Read 3875 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
5 man Tent Advice
« on: 17 June 2015, 09:57:19 am »
Hiya fellas,

We already have a caravan which gets well used but recently the kids and surprisingly the Mrs want to go camping.
I'm all up for this but don't want to spend more than say £250 ish on a tent. Most of the other gear we already have.
It's not going to be used past say the end of September and only for long 3 day weekends so I think waterproofness and space along with ease of  setting up are priorities unless someone advises otherwise.

Really looking for advice on size, style and features needed on a tent.

Have added a link to one I've seen on Millets for a starting point http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/003837-vango-woburn-500-5-man-tent.html

All advice much appreciated  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: 5 man Tent Advice
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2015, 10:34:19 am »
I was going to say one of these http://www.camping-intl.com/details/Isabella_Livingstone_Tent/ we go camping with the kids and friends with their kids.  2 families have got this tent it's a cracking tent, then I saw you need to sleep 5!  DOH

Our family tent is from the Blacks constellation range (about 5 years old now) but looking on their site they no longer sell that range.

The vango one you listed looks good.  Vango are a good brand and I would happily buy their kit although I've not used their tents.  That lip on the groundsheet that goes all the way round is good, our friend's tent has them, it keeps the insides bone dry.

Have a look on Ebay, might be some 2nd hand ones around your way, might get more bang for your buck.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2015, 10:40:01 am »
I would be tempted with this one.  the extra person would give you a bit more room for kit.  They also do a 5 person one too.

http://www.camping-intl.com/details/Vango_Iris_V_600_Tent_-_2015/

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2015, 10:55:37 am »
Thanks for that Harry - much appreciated. We only have 2 kids so was going for a 5 man, as you say, to give that little bit extra space.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2015, 10:59:13 am »
How are you going to get the missus and two kids, plus a 5 man tent and all the other paraphernalia on the back of a bike whilst towing a caravan?  :eek

This sounds like a job for Christo  :b   :lol

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2015, 11:04:29 am »
How are you going to get the missus and two kids, plus a 5 man tent and all the other paraphernalia on the back of a bike whilst towing a caravan?  :eek

This sounds like a job for Christo  :b   :lol
:lol :lol  funny you say that, I was going to pick up a nice Gen1 which would tow a Christo job nicely. That was the idea until someone twatted the bike I was after :pokefun

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2015, 11:16:13 am »
:lol :lol  funny you say that, I was going to pick up a nice Gen1 which would tow a Christo job nicely. That was the idea until someone twatted the bike I was after :pokefun

You really have to get over this Frosties, let it go  :lol  It was a slow yellow bike anyway, no loss  ;)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2015, 11:38:44 am »
I big fan of Vango tents i'm on my 2nd in 40 years and my current one is 15 years old and as good as new, my mate just bought a Vango airbeam and was very impressed with how easy that was to inflate but looking on line out of your budget (unless you can find cheap one on Fleabay) so the Woburn looks good value. & as you say it only for long weekends etc
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2015, 11:50:04 am »
Vango are good. We got something similar to this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-enigma-5-tent-p275792 from Go outdoors and I find it very good. The inner is attached to the outer so all you do is put in the poles and it pops up nice and easy. I recommend goin to Go Outdoors and having a look at the tents on display so you can get a good idea of what suits you. You will need to sign up for their discount card otherwise it'll be 50% more expensive.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2015, 12:04:08 pm »
Well it's good to hear all positives about Vango tents and a good shout from Crickleymal about popping somewhere to have a looksee.

Thinking about a 6 man jobby now for that little bit even more space  :lol

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2015, 12:27:19 pm »
if you only have 2 kids, my personal choice is to go for a 6 man with 3 separate bedrooms.

2 for sleeping and one for storing the kit in, keeps the kit out the central area of the tent and gives you more space inside.  That's what we've done.

Plus, if you're not the tidiest (like us) you can just zip up the 3rd bedroom door and hey presto mess be gone!  :D

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2015, 01:56:09 pm »
if you only have 2 kids, my personal choice is to go for a 6 man with 3 separate bedrooms.

2 for sleeping and one for storing the kit in, keeps the kit out the central area of the tent and gives you more space inside.  That's what we've done.

Plus, if you're not the tidiest (like us) you can just zip up the 3rd bedroom door and hey presto mess be gone!  :D
Thanks Harry, all points noted and totally agreed with....especially the messy as fook bit  :lol

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 June 2015, 02:56:42 pm »
Any of these any good to you?

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/tentshows

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 June 2015, 03:21:10 pm »

That is a good point but we did have one of those 3 bedroom tents (Vango Colorado 600) and it was mahoosive. It took nearly an hour to put up (not fun in the wet), and some sites have a size limit which it definitely exceeded.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/userimages/5418.jpg (random photo off the interwibble).

It was plenty big enough but oddly cold at night probably due to the large surface area unless you were in one of the bedrooms.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2015, 03:23:09 pm by crickleymal »
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2015, 03:24:47 pm »

Nice one Harry - Bicester here I come  :thumbup

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2015, 03:31:10 pm »

depends how far you live from show it may be worth noting that they are often prepared to sell you the tent on display on the proviso that you go on the last day and dismantle & take it away!! they reduce the price further as it isn't in "new" condition and saves them the time & effort to pack away!!

our scouts used to get great bargains this way!! (I've also done it for mates too)... if Bicester is close enough to return to on the sunday maybe worth asking (but if not don't waste petrol money doing double trip!!) lol
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 June 2015, 03:31:21 pm »

That is a good point but we did have one of those 3 bedroom tents (Vango Colorado 600) and it was mahoosive. It took nearly an hour to put up (not fun in the wet), and some sites have a size limit which it definitely exceeded.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/userimages/5418.jpg (random photo off the interwibble).

It was plenty big enough but oddly cold at night probably due to the large surface area unless you were in one of the bedrooms.

Christ that's feckin huge - buuuuut would fit the bill for storage and entertainment if it's raining. £280 brand new or £70 on Gumtree. Hmmmm

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 June 2015, 03:32:43 pm »

depends how far you live from show it may be worth noting that they are often prepared to sell you the tent on display on the proviso that you go on the last day and dismantle & take it away!! they reduce the price further as it isn't in "new" condition and saves them the time & effort to pack away!!

our scouts used to get great bargains this way!! (I've also done it for mates too)... if Bicester is close enough to return to on the sunday maybe worth asking (but if not don't waste petrol money doing double trip!!) lol

Cheers for that Robbie - well worth knowing. Makes sense when someone tells you  :lol