Date: 01-06-24  Time: 15:12 pm

Author Topic: Fork dismantling tool - yeah or nay - Sorted  (Read 1492 times)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fork dismantling tool - yeah or nay - Sorted
« on: 11 June 2015, 08:36:22 pm »
I have spent about an hour reading fork oil change threads 'cos I am considering changing the fork oil as it's probably never been done and should be quite easy.

With all that reading I have decided on K Tech's recommendation of 10W oil with 145mm air gap. My question is: do I or do I not need one of those damper rod holding tool thingies just to change the oil?

The manual says yes but some peeps are saying 'no special tools needed'.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2015, 06:01:43 pm by Jez »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Fork dismantling tool - yeah or nay
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2015, 09:19:47 pm »
No - You don't "need" one full stop. You could use one if you wanted to fully disassemble the forks which you probably don't if it's just an oil change, most folks manage without though.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2015, 09:20:59 pm by PieEater »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2015, 11:30:59 pm »
I have never tried it on a fazer, but hammering a broom handle into the damper rod usually allows you to stop it from turning enough to loosen it :)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2015, 09:49:58 am »
No - You don't "need" one full stop. You could use one if you wanted to fully disassemble the forks which you probably don't if it's just an oil change, most folks manage without though.

That's encouraging. I may still be missing something. How is it possible to measure the oil level without removing the spring? Or maybe the spring can be removed without disconnecting the damping adjuster?

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2015, 10:59:59 am »
I have never tried it on a fazer, but hammering a broom handle into the damper rod usually allows you to stop it from turning enough to loosen it :)

Thanks Mick but I meant the tool that looks like a thin spanner that allows the adjuster cap to be removed from the top. Sorry if I was not clear.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2015, 06:00:19 pm »
I decided to have a go without any special tools and Yaaaay it is actually easy  :rollin . I used two nuts locked together to hold the damper rod once the cap was off. Fork oil changed. Snorted  :D .