Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:37 pm

Author Topic: Broken radiator?  (Read 2443 times)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Broken radiator?
« on: 09 June 2015, 05:16:32 pm »
When I bought the my Gen1 it had a stainless rad guard fitted - lovely. However I recently found that the bottom screw lugs on the rad have broken and one of the pips on the top is broken too. It was about to fall off - the day before a track day too  :eek .

I am thinking of tying the top of the guard to the rad mounts using stainless wire (maybe lockwire - is it suitable?) and the bottom lugs to the frame tubes. For this I am tempted to use cable ties as wire will damage the paint but will they stand the heat?

Any thoughts out there in Foccer Land?

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Broken radiator?
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2015, 06:07:31 pm »
When I bought the my Gen1 it had a stainless rad guard fitted - lovely. However I recently found that the bottom screw lugs on the rad have broken and one of the pips on the top is broken too. It was about to fall off - the day before a track day too  :eek .

I am thinking of tying the top of the guard to the rad mounts using stainless wire (maybe lockwire - is it suitable?) and the bottom lugs to the frame tubes. For this I am tempted to use cable ties as wire will damage the paint but will they stand the heat?

Any thoughts out there in Foccer Land?

You can stainless cable ties which are strong, heatproof and wont rust.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Cable-Tie-Ties-Heat-Wrap-Metal-Various-Sizes-/121214471684?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=420198750610&hash=item1c38f20e04

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2015, 07:49:21 pm »

You can stainless cable ties which are strong, heatproof and wont rust.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Cable-Tie-Ties-Heat-Wrap-Metal-Various-Sizes-/121214471684?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=420198750610&hash=item1c38f20e04

Thanks for this pilninggas. A brilliant idea. 10 off 4.6mm x 300mm ordered today for £1.85 delivered. Brilliant.  :D

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2015, 06:07:44 pm »
I fitted the guard today with the stainless cable ties and it seems to have worked. No ideal but gets me out of trouble. I looked for replacement radiators and pattern ones are about £100 on Ebay and thieves breakers are asking £150 for minging examples with equally minging fans.

Methinks I will stick with what I have untill I need a pattern one. Thanks again, pilninggas, for a great and cheap tip.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2015, 06:53:38 pm »
I have one in good order
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2015, 07:10:37 pm »
Interesting  8) . PM sent.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2015, 09:11:19 pm »
After considering getting a recore for my heavily corroded radiator, I took a chance and bought one from Hong Kong. As expected it isn't particularly good quality but it was less than 80 quid and arrived in 5 days flat. The mounting lugs are thin and easily bendable compared to the Yamaha radiator but what's worse is the weld seems nowhere near as good. Also, the number of fins is about half that of the Yamaha radiator.

I expect it'll last about 2 years max, so I'll repair the old radiator too. At least this gets me back on the road. Here are some pics if anyone else out there is considering aftermarket.

IMG 1545
IMG 1545

IMG 1549
IMG 1549

The old radiator doesn't actually look that bad until you get close. The lower edge looks like delaminated plywood up close

IMG 1550
IMG 1550
« Last Edit: 18 June 2015, 09:28:34 pm by AyJay »

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2015, 09:48:00 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, AyJay. As I have now repaired mine I will keep it for now but keep my eyes open too. Used ones do come up from time to time.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2015, 10:14:31 pm »
I'm keeping my eyes on eBay too. The race is on Jez!

The only one I've seen on eBay recently looked in worse condition than mine. Rotten. And the breaker wanted 150 quid for it. Stroll on. I suppose the trouble is that they are delicate and easily damaged in the accident that gets them into the breaker's yard in the first place.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2015, 10:20:45 pm »
I saw that one. Yuck :eek. Luke has one on eBay at the mo under the name Devilsthou. There is a decent one in Florida £108 or so delivered. Also one in Italy, slight dink £90 or so.

I am not competing right now. My attention has turned to adjustable foot rests. Good luck mate.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2015, 10:28:30 pm »
Cheers Jez. I'm in no hurray as yet, what with the new rad.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2015, 05:00:38 pm »
I bought one of those cheap Chinese radiators last year. It was such poor quality that I sent it back. I just didn't trust that lowest of low level poor quality to do what it was supposed to do. Getting a refund was a nightmare. The seller claimed he hadn't received it even though it was signed for. Both Ebay and Paypal refused to refund me as they  sided with the seller (as usual).
I reported the transaction to Barclaycard (who I paid with through Paypal) and they refunded me immediately saying that they would take the matter up with Paypal.
I learnt my lesson there and will never buy any cheap/fake Chinese copies ever again.
Just for the record, I eventually bought a brand new genuine Yamaha radiator from the USA on Partzilla for about £140 including Import Duty and VAT. It arrived within about 10 days but I was in no rush for it anyway. I will definitely use Partzilla again. Top service.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2015, 03:39:31 pm by Grayo »
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2015, 09:49:11 pm »
Thanks for that Grayo. Did you post anything about it on the forum? I must confess I didn't look.

Chinese stuff is hit or miss. I got a screen for my ZZR last year - 15 quid delivered and it's better quality and fit than any MRA, Zero Gravity, Skidmarx screen I've had. Seriously, 15 quid and it came all the way from China and arrived in less than a week.

It just depends - the vast majority of tech stuff is chinese - every iPhone and iPad is made in Shenzhen and that's pretty good stuff!

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2015, 05:39:30 pm »
Agree about the varied quality of Chinese stuff. The rad in your pics looks quite thin in places. It is tempting to buy second hand parts from America but a friend of mine recently got stung £46 duty for a pair of fork springs. Unlucky I guess.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2015, 03:28:47 pm »
When ordering from the US, change your delivery address to 'The Smith family' instead of Paul Smith to avoid duties.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2015, 08:00:43 pm »
Yeah, you can do that cos your name's Smith. Mine isn't  :b
« Last Edit: 24 June 2015, 08:05:35 pm by Jez »