Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:49 pm

Author Topic: siezed bolt  (Read 998 times)

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
siezed bolt
« on: 04 June 2015, 08:50:46 am »
Hi,
Finally getting all the wheel back together and started to clean up the brake hanger.
Only to find both bolts fitting the tension bar have siezed. I can remove the nut ok.
But the bolts will not move independant of the alu hanger they are possibly welded together with road salt and crap.
And the tension bar is stuck at a fixed angle, I have not released the tension on the bolt yet is it suposed to swing when bolted up.

Any idead as to the best way without bending anything to get the bolts out, I have sprayed Plus Gas all over both nut/bolts and the hanger and the bolt now rotate but together by hand. Befrore you needed a socket wrench on the bolt to rotate them so the penetrating fluid is working worked.

If the top nut and bolt comes of ok I can remove the tension bar with the hanger attached then I should be able to hammer the bolt out.

But if not, am I going to have to revert to heat or is there some method of pushing the bolt out from the threaded side without damaging/bending anything.

Just when I could see the finish line I have to go around the track again.......

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: siezed bolt
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2015, 09:12:18 am »
With the caliper and the wheel off lube the bolt and work the bracket up and down until it moves freely. Remember for it to work all you want is that the caliper can move. It doesn't really matter if you can take that bolt out or not.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2015, 10:21:20 am »

And the tension bar is stuck at a fixed angle, I have not released the tension on the bolt yet is it suposed to swing when bolted up.

Any idead as to the best way without bending anything to get the bolts out, I have sprayed Plus Gas all over both nut/bolts and the hanger and the bolt now rotate but together by hand. Befrore you needed a socket wrench on the bolt to rotate them so the penetrating fluid is working worked.

If the top nut and bolt comes of ok I can remove the tension bar with the hanger attached then I should be able to hammer the bolt out.

When bolted up the tension bar is clamped tight to the fixing points. The only slight angular movement is when adjusting the chain tension, which is when I would slacken off those bolts. As the bolts are rotating it should not be too difficult to tap them out. Before you start hammering I would use some firm support at the bolt head side, possibly a piece of tube or a socket that the bolt can slide into. 

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2015, 11:34:26 am »
i had mine off and they were a little corodded but came off ok after a little heat....i left them loose until i have got the chain tension and axel adjusted and torqued down....