Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:12 pm

Author Topic: I'm Being Tested  (Read 2543 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
I'm Being Tested
« on: 20 May 2015, 01:43:38 pm »
So, two fractured vertebrae just over 3 weeks ago, in a back brace, review in 3 weeks. Rest and care needed.

BUT...

Have an offer on the house, and have found what looks like the ideal place in my target area, need to drive 250 miles to view it, overnight B&B, 250 miles home next day. I've driven a 100 mile round trip (against all advice) but was ok.

House has no chain, offer for ours says bruv and I must only be looking for one property between us, otherwise, too awkward and could take ages. Bruv is viewing two places this weekend, and I will join him for a short while as a lodger, until I've got my next place sorted, which makes things easier for all concerned- if he goes for one of the properties. Not sure about the chain on the side of the potential buyer for ours, but it has taken since Feb just to get this first offer. It is one that we are inclined to accept.

Discovered yesterday that much of my pain was due to having the back brace too tight, which was compressing old injuries. Doh!
 So the pain is not as bad as I thought, but still uncomfortable.

So, the medical advice will be don't do the drive - what would you do? I'm currently thinking to book a viewing, book the B&B and give it a go. Property I'm considering really does look excellent, but obviously I have to view it before buying.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: I'm Being Tested
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2015, 02:03:49 pm »
Get someone to give you a lift!

Nightfury

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2015, 02:05:58 pm »
Hi Nick,
Glad to hear that you are getting out and about, and I hope that the rest of your recovery goes well.
I suffered 1 fractured vertebrae the year before last, a week before Christmas! So I know of your pain, sort of anyway.  2 weeks after my accident I drove a 360 mile round trip in my mums Corsa. My car had been turned into a convertible by the fire brigade! Anyway, the journey hurt. All I could do was stop at nearly every service station and a few lay-by's.
If it was me, I would turn it into a 3 day trip. Take as much time as you need to get up there, it doesn't matter if it takes you all day! Spend a day up there, have a look around at the surrounding area, visit the shops or pub or whatever then plod back the following day.

But at the end of the day, you are the only one that knows how much it will hurt you.
What ever you end up doing, do it gently and slowly!   
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2015, 02:11:46 pm »
Get someone to give you a lift!

There is a slim chance bruv might be able to, but not certain, and I reckon time is of the essence with this property - I think it won't be available for long:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/36945892#cyPZYK26wT3MC7PX.97

Otherwise, there is no one else to approach for help.

Nightfury, yes, thinking about booking 2 night's B&B, to have a rest day before the return trip. I have ridden with a very painful shoulder after dropping my bike in Wales (paddling it around to turn around on a steeply sloping field entrance) and picked it up hurting my bad shoulder - was very painful. Then rode back to London on copious amounts of painkillers; I would definitely NOT recommend this!  But I think driving the car will be easier - the seat supports my back quite well - just fatigue that really concerns me.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2015, 02:25:59 pm »
any foccers willing to take you up pillion??  :b
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2015, 06:32:28 pm »
Nice looking house and a garage for the new bike  :thumbup......probs not good driving but if it was me I would do the journey in two days...book a b+b half way and view the house the following day......115000, that would be more than double that down here.
One, is never going to be enough.....

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2015, 06:52:14 pm »
Nice looking house and a garage for the new bike  :thumbup......probs not good driving but if it was me I would do the journey in two days...book a b+b half way and view the house the following day......115000, that would be more than double that down here.
Hi Paul

My instinct is to go and look at it. I think I'll be ok. Just can't afford to do too many trips like this, about £200 each time all in, and that's driving up one day, B&B, view next day, B&B, drive home on third day, never mind stopping half way. Would just have to start out fairly early and take plenty of rest stops. And no others to line up viewings on at the moment to make it more worthwhile.

These prices are why I'm moving up north. Can't afford a place down here. Bloody awkward though!

I would hope that if the seller accepts an offer from me, they can wait for our side of things to work through (they're clearly already out of this property and with no chain) which all depends on the chain of the people who have put an offer in for ours. Lots here will have gone through all this crap, I know, but jeez! What a complete arse ache all this house buying and selling is!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2015, 07:56:17 pm »
Looks like a very well finished house internally and well kept outside.
Appears to be in an old council estate with quite a few tenant purchased. The usual giveaway is the change of the front porch, council ones are plain flat, but for some reason when tenants purchase the property the first then they change is the plain flat porch.
I now work in social housing and have seen an amazing commonality between Ireland and the UK social housing tenants. We sometimes visit UK councils and they often visit us to share information.

When my eldest son was living in the UK I always advised him to check the crime stats for the area before he decided to rent in the area. What sometimes looked like a great area was a disaster with regards the crime stats.

Click this link  Harraby 

For other parts of Cumbria

https://www.police.uk/cumbria/#neighbourhoods

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2015, 08:30:12 pm »
Hi nick im off work cos of hernia op so if you need a driver im probably your man mate.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2015, 08:36:00 pm »
Be careful Nick, my wife burnt her foot with boiling water recently and was told by the nurse that she may not be insured to drive due to the fact she could not operate the pedals according to an insurance company, when in fact in the real world she could.
So you run the risk of not asking your insurance but maybe needing it and then finding out you aren't insured due to your injuries, or you ask them and then they say you're not insured. Does that make sense?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2015, 08:38:30 pm »

crime stats for the area

They're likely to double when I get there  :lol

Bri, cheers for the offer, but I think this is something I'll do for myself. Having someone drive me is no easier than driving myself tbh. Thanks all the same  :thumbup

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2015, 08:54:15 pm »
No problem nick let me know if I can help.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2015, 08:58:58 pm »
How about the train ?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2015, 09:03:56 pm »
How about the train ?

I think with all the bits connecting in between and carrying what I need, that'll actually be a tougher call. Actually, I'm now thinking I shouldn't have posed this question here. I know the common sense answer. Anything outside of that I ought to decide for myself. Ta anyway.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2015, 09:11:56 pm »
If only someone on here had a helicopter   ;)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2015, 10:45:39 pm »
If only someone on here had a helicopter   ;)
but will he take the bait  :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2015, 07:04:13 am »
How about the train ?

took the words out of my mouth :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2015, 09:33:39 am »

took the words out of my mouth :lol

...for once   :b

unfazed

• GP Hero