Date: 15-06-24  Time: 14:29 pm

Author Topic: Battery power  (Read 4871 times)

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Battery power
« on: 16 May 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
Since I first started up my Fazer, it has been a bit of a bugger to spark up. Once it's warm it's not an issue.

Today, after just two (!) short attempts, the battery died. I couldn't push start it (though I did try, several times) so I got a lift down town.

When I got back, it sprang to life first time.

When the missus got home, we went out and.... died first time!  It started after just a few seconds 'jumped' to my GPZ.

Just wondering if the batteries are prone to buggeration. Should I get a beefier one, or is it just that it's 11 years old, and the seller was a lying toerag when he said it was well looked after?

I had a long-ish ride yesterday, so it should have been fine.

Chars

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Battery power
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2015, 07:58:07 pm »
Mine had something similar last year and it wasn't the battery, but I cannot remember what it was unless I look through my posts.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2015, 09:13:56 pm »
or is it just that it's 11 years old, and the seller was a lying toerag when he said it was well looked after?
I don't see why you need to describe the seller as a "lying toerag". You got the bike for £1700 and as far as the other posts you've made it does seem to have been relatively well maintained. Do you honestly expect to pay that little for a bike and not have to shell out a bit on getting it up to scratch? MotoBatt are flavour of the month BTW, just bought one and am happy with it so far.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2015, 09:53:04 pm »
Fit a new battery and you'll have peace of mind on that for years to come.

Then read this: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/eskortsdefectiveconnectorreplacement.shtml

After that, run copious amounts of WD40 through the ignition switch and the other switchgear components. :)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2015, 11:22:56 pm »
+1 for motobatt. Best battery i have fitted to my fazer. More cranking power and has lasted over 2 winters and still like new.  I had a yuasa before it and it only lasted 2 years because of my alarm :'(
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2015, 12:41:48 am »
+1 more for Motobatt. I fitted one about two or three months ago and I haven't put it on the Optimate yet.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2015, 08:46:11 am »
or is it just that it's 11 years old, and the seller was a lying toerag when he said it was well looked after?
I don't see why you need to describe the seller as a "lying toerag". You got the bike for £1700 and as far as the other posts you've made it does seem to have been relatively well maintained. Do you honestly expect to pay that little for a bike and not have to shell out a bit on getting it up to scratch? MotoBatt are flavour of the month BTW, just bought one and am happy with it so far.

Listen, mate, with the experiences I've had with biking and dealers/clubs/riders who've turned out to be total wasters in the last couple of years, I have very little patience with the bullshutters these days - and if he's says it's a well looked after bike and it's only cheap because he needs a quick sale, I don't expect to find I have to spend over a hundred quid on parts for it before I've had it a week, and in this particular case find rusted battery terminals connected to a loose battery.

I don't know what "well looked after" means to you, but to me it means it's been well looked after. Calling this geezer a 'toerag' was being polite. You think that just because I got it cheaper than many (but not all) of it's age, I should expect the seller to be full of crap in his description of it? Righto.

I know this is the age of mediocrity, where the minimum possible is considered acceptable, but I have standards which are second nature to me and, perhaps foolishly, I expect others to have them, too.

Anyway, I'll be getting a new battery, considering it's age I think it's probably not a bad thing to do in any case.

Thanks for the other replies, guys.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2015, 08:47:04 am by Brixmis »

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2015, 11:44:51 am »
Does this sound familiar to you at all, mate ...
"the chap had only had it a month and he didn't seem to know anything about it at all"
So the guy clearly wasn't in any position to make promises about the condition of the bike but you happily accepted his word that it was well looked after, to the point that you evidently didn't bother going through the rudimentary pre-purchase checks like lifting the seat to check condition of the battery, fuses, CDU, wiring, frame etc.
".......I only had to shell out £1750 for the bike (£1795 asking price). I know he wanted a quick sale, but I must admit, it does make me worry a little that there's something not right."
You parted with your cash even though you felt something wasn't right, and not having bothered to check the bike over properly. You've absolutely got no cause for complaint or for calling the guy names.

I'm sorry that the rest of the world doesn't live up to your high moral standards but perhaps if you took responsibility for your own mistakes instead of blaming others you might find it a slightly more agreeable place.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2015, 11:46:13 am by PieEater »

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2015, 12:10:52 pm »
 :agree
A simple " fuckoff "  would have been okay as well  :)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2015, 08:30:44 pm »
:agree
A simple " fuckoff "  would have been okay as well

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2015, 08:59:13 pm »
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Mcgroital

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2015, 06:08:59 pm »
I've just put a Yuasa YT14b-bs on my Fazer. The bike hadn't been started for the best part of a year. But it did the job.
It has a cold start rating of 220cca and cost £70 including delivery from EBay.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2015, 07:50:03 pm »
Yuasa and Varta are both good makes and should serve well but as has already been said MotoBatt are highly regarded. I just paid £56 all in for a MotoBatt from these guys - http://www.stuff4bikes.co.uk/

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2015, 07:53:15 pm »
I tried Motobatt, it died after one year! I went for a Yuasa as it has the highest cold crank rating.

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2015, 10:21:02 pm »
"the chap had only had it a month and he didn't seem to know anything about it at all"
So the guy clearly wasn't in any position to make promises about the condition of the bike but you happily accepted his word that it was well looked after, to the point that you evidently didn't bother going through the rudimentary pre-purchase checks like lifting the seat to check condition of the battery, fuses, CDU, wiring, frame etc.
".......I only had to shell out £1750 for the bike (£1795 asking price). I know he wanted a quick sale, but I must admit, it does make me worry a little that there's something not right."
You parted with your cash even though you felt something wasn't right, and not having bothered to check the bike over properly. You've absolutely got no cause for complaint or for calling the guy names.

I'm sorry that the rest of the world doesn't live up to your high moral standards but perhaps if you took responsibility for your own mistakes instead of blaming others you might find it a slightly more agreeable place.

So you're knocking me about a person you've never met, and what was said at a meeting at which you weren't present, over a bike you haven't seen (in the flesh and in any case not enough to make a sane judgement on its condition).

Right.

He wasn't saying anything because the bike had been crashed. Whether he was selling it for a mate or had bought it as a crashed to repair job, who knows - but I am not concerned with that, as long as it is okay. He said it had been well looked after - he lied, whilst harping on about what an honest chap he is and therefore I consider him a toerag. Simple.

And since my last post in this thread, some other, very expensive items have shown a distinct lack of TLC, too.

I'm so pleased you think he's a stand-up guy, though - I'll pass him your details so he can sell you his next jallopy ;)

To get back on topic - I bought a Motobatt from Wemoto - been great. Old battery was deffo shagged - trickle charged it and it was down to 11v in a couple of days with no load. Thanks for your helpful replies.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2015, 10:25:28 pm by Brixmis »

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2015, 10:22:46 am »
I'm so pleased you think he's a stand-up guy, though - I'll pass him your details so he can sell you his next jallopy ;)
Nobody here has said he was a stand up guy, and no one here is defending him. You have been called out for blaming someone else for your avoidable problems, specifically, not checking what you were buying before you bought it. A fool and his money and all that?
If you want help and/or sympathy, you just have to ask, and it will be freely and gladly given, but if you want to be told it is not your fault you might not be on the right forum as the standard for honesty here is actually quite high.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2015, 04:47:47 pm »

So you're knocking me about a person you've never met, and what was said at a meeting at which you weren't present, over a bike you haven't seen (in the flesh and in any case not enough to make a sane judgement on its condition).

Right.

He wasn't saying anything because the bike had been crashed. Whether he was selling it for a mate or had bought it as a crashed to repair job, who knows - but I am not concerned with that, as long as it is okay. He said it had been well looked after - he lied, whilst harping on about what an honest chap he is and therefore I consider him a toerag. Simple.

And since my last post in this thread, some other, very expensive items have shown a distinct lack of TLC, too.

To get back on topic - I bought a Motobatt from Wemoto - been great. Old battery was deffo shagged - trickle charged it and it was down to 11v in a couple of days with no load. Thanks for your helpful replies.

:groan - Seriously after 4 whole months you want to start on this again  :rolleyes

Do you know how much more respect and credibility you'd have if you'd joined these forums with a post along the lines of "Guys, I've been a bit of an idiot and bought a right snotter against my better judgement, I could really use some help and advice to get her up to scratch"

Instead you insist on repeatedly calling a guy who has no means to defend himself and whose story would no doubt be different to yours a Liar and a Toerag and apparently are unwilling to accept any responsibility for your mistakes.

If you're wanting people to continue giving you help and assistance I'd suggest letting this rest now, as you're not coming out of it that well.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2015, 05:06:20 pm by PieEater »

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2015, 11:42:52 pm »
I don't usually reply to utterly stupid posts, but am i getting this right that brixmis is having a go at a previous owner who owned the bike for a very short period of time about a duff battery, which can die at anytime and costs £60............. Fook me :z
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 September 2015, 11:57:54 pm »
Maybe the previous owner was Ronnie Pickering!

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 October 2015, 10:47:46 pm »
Who is Ronnie fookin pickering