Date: 15-06-24  Time: 19:34 pm

Author Topic: First post, first big bike, 01 FZS600  (Read 24331 times)

Kepha

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
First post, first big bike, 01 FZS600
« on: 12 April 2015, 04:40:50 pm »
Hey everyone, first time poster here. Been browsing the site and found it very inspiring so I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself and my new bike.

Just purchased myself a black 2001 fazer for £1300, went to view it last weekend and it only has 6400 miles on the clock and besides a little weathering on the front forks was basically showroom condition.

My new fzs600
My new fzs600

It's booked in for an MOT on Friday and I actually haven't passed my DAS yet which I am taking Saturday through to Monday.  Hoping I will be able to ride it away soon after.

Its obviously been sorn for a while and used very little in the last 14 years so I am wondering what advice everyone here has for checks I need to make besides anything that might show up on the MOT. To my knowledge it's more or less standard bar a belly pan. Though I am unsure.

I'm pretty new to mechanics and coming from a 125 which required very little attention besides cleaning I will be using this site a lot for guides and advice on how to care for and upgrade her. I will keep you all posted :)

Thanks.

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
Re: First post, first big bike, 01 FZS600
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2015, 04:41:49 pm »
looking good!!

hope youre not intending to take passengers over 4 foot tall!

Kepha

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2015, 04:47:30 pm »

Is it considered pretty uncomfortable for passengers? I have a potential passenger standing about 5'3.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2015, 04:49:00 pm »

Is it considered pretty uncomfortable for passengers? I have a potential passenger standing about 5'3.

I guess it depends on the passenger, my missus is 5'5" and didnt have nay problems on the back of my 600 when I had it :)

rhinoeli

• DAS Born Again
  • Hungarian Foccer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2015, 05:39:21 pm »
One thing came to my mind looking at the attached picture. Someone has painted the sides (at least the left side) of your cylinders black. AFAIK the side of those horizontal heat sinking grooves shouldn't be painted.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2015, 05:41:09 pm by rhinoeli »

Flak

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Speed Triple 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2015, 05:46:00 pm »

I guess it depends on the passenger, my missus is 5'5" and didnt have nay problems on the back of my 600 when I had it :)

I didn't quite get that comment either, my Mrs is 5' 8" and prefers pillion on the FZS600 to our FZS1000.
FZS600, Speed Triple 1050, FZS1000, DT175MX etc.

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2015, 05:52:39 pm »
im 6ft my partner is 5ft 9 and its insane uncomfortable!

had to change the pillion pegs to the 03 i think it was which are longer and have a different angle as well as a bit more seat padding for more height.

she isn't the slimest but nor is she overweight.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2015, 05:57:53 pm »

she isn't the slimest but nor is she overweight.

I really hope your talking about your bike there Paul, don't think your missus would like you saying that :rollin
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Kepha

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2015, 07:28:07 pm »
One thing came to my mind looking at the attached picture. Someone has painted the sides (at least the left side) of your cylinders black. AFAIK the side of those horizontal heat sinking grooves shouldn't be painted.

Hey I just messaged the guy and he assured me that the engine is standard and hasn't been painted. But I'm no expert on the model. Its the model with the gold clocks. Is it possible that there's a version that comes with black fins on the cylinder or am I being taken for a mug? Hah

If it's an issue I can put it right but I just like to feel like I am being sold what I am told I am being sold and not misled.

Thanks

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2015, 08:20:06 pm »

Hey I just messaged the guy and he assured me that the engine is standard and hasn't been painted. But I'm no expert on the model. Its the model with the gold clocks. Is it possible that there's a version that comes with black fins on the cylinder or am I being taken for a mug? Hah

If it's an issue I can put it right but I just like to feel like I am being sold what I am told I am being sold and not misled.

Thanks

Hiya fella, lovely looking bike and welcome to the forum......loads of help on hear about everything.

Wouldn't worry in the slightest about the engine fins not being silver....it's personal choice and have probably been painted. The rear grab rail is off a later bike, double bubble screen fitted, belly pan fitted, rear hugger etc......all to make the bike look the way the previous owner wanted it to (my 2p is they all suit the bike) . We've all made little mods here n there to our tastes (including painting engine fins) so don't even waste time thinking about the engine fins.....I love the way it looks and if you do then that's all that counts. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 12 April 2015, 08:23:38 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2015, 08:32:22 pm »
looking good!!

That only refers to the 98, 99 models because from 00 on there was extra padding on the seat and lower pillion footrests.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2015, 08:34:19 pm »

..I love the way it looks and if you do then that's all that counts. :thumbup

+1 here too
Colin
----------------------

Kepha

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2015, 08:57:14 pm »
Hey thanks everyone for your comments.  I was sent that photo prior to viewing the bike and I thought it looked a lot nicer in person than in the photos so I am definitely pleased.  It ran first time after sitting all winter too. I just hope the 6400 miles is a genuine figure now I know about the other mods. I'm probably just being paranoid :(

Anyway once I've passed my test and got her on the road I will be sure to take more photos and probably start a few mods of my own to make her feel mine

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2015, 09:26:01 pm »
The mileage could be right if it's not been used etc, you can check it with the mot readout.  There is good and bad with a bike not being used,  good it's not picked up wear and tear with use but bad it's not been ran so somethings could need a good bit of lubrication to get them moving sweetly again :-)
Colin
----------------------

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2015, 10:08:31 pm »
Nice clean bike, the engine has been painted, but not to uncommon.
Best of luck with it  :thumbup and when you get used to it you can buy  a red one which will be faster :lol :lol

Disc wear, foot rest and gear change rubbers will often give away the mileage.

You rarely see unworn oem discs on a a high mileage bike plus no wear on the rubbers means they may have been replaced whereas a little wear could mean a lowish mileage.

Downpipes will be a problem most likely when the engine was painted and the fork legs are pitted a bit, as it usually means it was not stored completely dry or not cleaned properly before being stored. :(

Spray the area around the exhaust header bolts liberally with WD40 as often as possible when cold and after washing it and it will help the removal of the downpipes when you will eventually have to replace them. It won't do any harm but will smoke like mad when you start it burning off the spray on the downpipes. :)

I did this regularly on mine and when the downpipes finally gave up the ghost at 86000 miles the nuts opened easily.

PS, as regards comfort, my wife is 5'4"ish I am 5'9"ish and we have toured Spain, France, UK and Ireland including 800 miles in 30 hours when we missed the Boat to France from Rosslare (my fault got the times wrong) and booked the boats RossLare to Pembroke and Dover to Calais, rode through the night to Dover and down to Angers in France to put our holiday back on track). A 5'3" passenger will have no problem.
Comfort is not a big issue, mind you we were both sore arsed after 800 miles.
My wife also thinks the 600 seat is slightly more comfortable than the 1000 seat.

Kepha

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2015, 10:31:18 pm »
Yea il just take is as it comes, it's my first big bike so I have a lot to learn but I'm very excited. I'm 26 now so it's been a long time coming, been on the 125 for far too long!

I think I will try and get the silver back on the cylinders fins by stripping the paint off or painting them, leaving the rest of the engine black as I think it looks nice that way looking at pictures.

I'd also like to get chrome downpipes and a new exhaust but I'l try riding the bike for a while as it is for a while before I get too carried away.

I've been reading around and if it hasn't been done ready I will check out a k&n filter and braided hoses. Would also like to look into a custom seat just for aesthetics but any increase in confirm will surely be welcomed.

What's the availability like for carbon fibre parts for the bike? And is it stupidly costly to have them made bespoke if they aren't available? I've seen people use a carbon fibre wrap to cover their parts but I think I prefer the idea of dropping a few extra quid and getting proper carbon fibre pieces.

Got 2 weeks to wait until I can pick her up from where she's being stored and il be passing the time reading these forums and dreaming about all the things I can do to her when she's mine  ;) hah

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2015, 10:49:47 pm »
I wouldn't go changing the brake lines to soon. The brakes on the 600 are extremely powerful and the standard lines have more feel than the braided ones.
Use the brakes with caution at first and give yourself time to get used to them, I have seen to many new owners get caught out by locking the front wheel under hard breaking.

Kepha

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2015, 10:59:48 pm »
I wouldn't go changing the brake lines to soon. The brakes on the 600 are extremely powerful and the standard lines have more feel than the braided ones.
Use the brakes with caution at first and give yourself time to get used to them, I have seen to many new owners get caught out by locking the front wheel under hard breaking.

Thanks for the advice unfazed, I will certainly be riding carefully to start with. Actually I'm a little nervous about jumping on a 600, so il be taking it steady! Good to know the bikes got good brakes though! I thought the braided ones were meant to be an improvement but I guess I was mistaken.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2015, 11:38:13 pm »
It's going to be the longest 2 weeks of your life  :lol :lol

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2015, 11:46:59 pm »

Thanks for the advice unfazed, I will certainly be riding carefully to start with. Actually I'm a little nervous about jumping on a 600, so il be taking it steady! Good to know the bikes got good brakes though! I thought the braided ones were meant to be an improvement but I guess I was mistaken.

No you are right that the braided hoses are an improvement. What Unfazed was saying was that the brakes, as standard, are very good (early R1 front calipers) so it would be good for you to get used to the standard brakes before upgrading.

Carbon effect front mudguard extender about £20, £100 ish for a rear hugger (best buy some carbon wrap for yours) and a decent seat about £140 exchange

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fibre-Yamaha-FZS600-FZS-600-Fazer-03-Fender-Extender-Front-Mudguard-/271833532384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4a8a87e0

Seat http://www.diggerseats.co.uk/Home.html
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2015, 06:42:52 am »
I've taken passengers on the back in all shapes and sizes, never had any problems though.
The front mudguard extender is a great add on for little money, it dramatically cuts down the shite aimed at your downpipes, especially if you ride during the cold season when there's plenty of salt about.
Depending on where the bike's been stored the brakes may well need a service, the calipers can seize up if not used often or maintained, and they work much much better when functioning correctly and freely.
Over time you can learn how to clean up the brakes yourself, it can be time consuming but once done the results are very satisfying and the more times you service them the easier it will become.
These brakes are VERY good when working right, so don't go grabbing a handful in a panic.
Same again, depending where it's been stored i'd check the chain for any tight spots, and maybe give it a good scrub up and lube.
Put the bike on the centre stand and look at the lower part of the chain and see if there's any links that aren't totally horizontal.
Even if you can't quite spot them a seized chain link will give a knocking feeling on the left foot peg.
It's probably okay, but worth noting.
Other than than, good luck with the test, and take things easy to begin with.
If you can't find what you need to know using the search box, just ask.  :thumbup
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2015, 09:16:53 am »
You could sand and polish the edge of the fins with some wet and dry paper if you want them to be silver again. No need to repaint anything

Kepha

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 April 2015, 12:27:51 pm »
It's going to be the longest 2 weeks of your life  :lol :lol

Indeed it will be! I hope the 3 days I spend doing my DAS will tide my over learning to ride the bigger bike, I think the few days after I pass before I can collect the bike are going to be the worst.

No you are right that the braided hoses are an improvement.

Thanks for clarifying! I will keep it in mind then. I wont be making any mods for a few weeks or more until I am used to the bike as it is anyway (plus I need to allow my funds to recover, this month has been an expensive one!)

Thanks to everyone else for your comments and replies to my questions. I look forward to learning more about my bike and contributing to the community in my own way.

Kepha

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 April 2015, 08:13:35 pm »
Hey guys, just out of curiosity. I saw there was a differences by year thread showing that the 2001 model had a "Carbon-effect clock surround"
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]http://foc-u.co.uk/?topic=34.0[/size]

The supposed 2001 model I am buying has gold clocks. Do you think this means the clocks have been replaced or was there a 2001 model with gold clocks?

I am just trying to work out the history of the bike and how many miles its possibly done.

Thanks

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 April 2015, 08:19:05 pm »
Actual gold clocks or is it a surround to make it look gold? Unless you physically have the bike in front of you, it is very hard to determine what other owners have done to it, so your just guessing and putting 2 + 2 will equal 5 in that case :rollin
Colin
----------------------