Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:10 pm

Author Topic: People power  (Read 2970 times)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
People power
« on: 17 January 2015, 01:49:33 pm »
loved this so thought I'd share it incase anyone ever has to go down this unfortunate road, watch the video

https://wirralinittogether.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/police-evict-the-bailiffs-how-to-make-the-law-work-in-your-favour/
fire never sleeps

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: People power
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2015, 04:29:06 pm »
Good video......but shouldn't he have just paid his rent/mortgage ???
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2015, 04:36:52 pm »
They've had that series on recently about bailiffs and i had to stop watching it.
A few cases are fair and square, but some people, through no fault of their own, can quickly fall on hard times and find themselves in a bit of a mess, ie: losing their job, illness, etc.
I just found it uncomfortable viewing, even more so when you get a smug bailiff who tends to get a kick out of the job.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2015, 04:39:05 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2015, 05:54:12 pm »
The two bailiffs were way out of order, obviously both in the wrong job..........I watch the bailiff series and most are defaulting on loans or mortages on their homes, your home has to come first not the flash new car on the drive which most of the defaulters seam to own..........more and more people are living on credit in this country, I prefer to save up and pay cash, you get more for your money that way.......iam old with old fashoned values.........in this case I think its the best way......
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2015, 12:28:27 am »
Obviously that's the intelligent way to do things but people are very different through no fault of their own.
Shit happens, nobody's perfect, and things can creep up on people until it becomes a major problem.
I do tend to feel sorry for people in a lot of these situations.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2015, 09:22:37 am »
mmmmmmmmm......a lot of these house repro`s involve young familys,as a parent a secure home for your offspring has to come first.....forget the flash car,motorbikes,mobile phones on contracts,smoking,drinking,expensive holidays abroard just so you can show off to your friends/keep up with the jones`s........house comes first along with all the bills,elec/gas/water/poll tax etc....this world owes you nothing,if you want /need something go out and earn it,BUDGET for it.........benefit street is another one....most of the residents were out of work claiming allsorts of reasons why ,moaning that the benefits were not enough to support a family......while they smoked ,drank and chatted on their mobiles which must be held at all times !!!.........there are some exceptions,health being no 1 .....apart from that , ive got no time for them or those two bully boy bailiffs............deffinitely not fazer owners  ;) ...sunday morning rant over,have a nice day .....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2015, 10:16:49 am »
You sound like you're off to repossess a car 'red'.  :deal :lol

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2015, 10:33:08 am »
Interest rates are exceptionally low at the moment which has helped a lot of people , but sooner or later they will go up , probably after the election  , I don't think they will go as high as they were in the early 90's over 15% , but a lot of people will be struggling through no fault of their own .

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2015, 10:48:57 am »
Hi paul .....yep , I think the rise in interest rates is coming soon, I remember when I took out my first mortage I was offered a lot more than I needed, was buying a one bedroom flat for £40,000, had a £6000 deposit so only needed £34,000.....bit different back then. :rolleyes.......building society offered me something like £60,000, based on my earnings, I knew that was way over the top and would struggle with the repayments whilst having a good standard of living....banks are out to make as much money as possible with no thought to the well being of the customer, they are still going to rake in the interest whatever happens, and who pays thd bailiffs   ........ yep.another one for the customer.......end of the day, whatever you borrow you've got to pay back, dont live deyond your needs......

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2015, 10:59:51 am »

morning darrsi........does make me laugh how much people spend on cars, I live on an ex local authority housing estate ,1950's....so nice houses with good sized gardens, about 75 % are now privatly owned , you can tell the council owned ones as they have a brand new car on the drive, to make them look good to their friends and when there out on the road, the money they spent on the car would make a good deposit for a secure home, which would be for life and something to pass onto their offspring to help them out..........why buy new, its parked up most of the time eithef at work or sat on the drive, I see a car to get me to work, the kids to school and pick up the groceries, its a tool that has to pay for itself....why oh why do people get into debt with something like that........buy second hand, save up and pay good old fashoned cash.........yes, iam a grumpy old man and proud of it....
« Last Edit: 18 January 2015, 02:13:04 pm by red98 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2015, 06:28:18 am »

morning darrsi........does make me laugh how much people spend on cars, I live on an ex local authority housing estate ,1950's....so nice houses with good sized gardens, about 75 % are now privatly owned , you can tell the council owned ones as they have a brand new car on the drive, to make them look good to their friends and when there out on the road, the money they spent on the car would make a good deposit for a secure home, which would be for life and something to pass onto their offspring to help them out..........why buy new, its parked up most of the time eithef at work or sat on the drive, I see a car to get me to work, the kids to school and pick up the groceries, its a tool that has to pay for itself....why oh why do people get into debt with something like that........buy second hand, save up and pay good old fashoned cash.........yes, iam a grumpy old man and proud of it....

Although it wouldn't break the bank that's what swayed me from buying a bigger bike a couple of years back.
It was a case of do i actually 'need' a bigger engine to still go slowly in traffic every day, to leave out in the elements, to pay more for parts, to pay higher insurance, more fuel, etc, just to look the part and scratch that itch?
The decision was quite an easy one eventually, although i believe i did ask you lot what the differences were for reassurance.
Plus i'd spent so much time and money on my bike i didn't fancy doing it all again when i already have a mechanically sound bike, even if being an all year commuter has made it look a bit mucky, especially during winter.
Peoples ideas of having a well looked after bike can vary a lot, so one persons "good condition" is a proper shitter to someone else so at the moment i'm content with what i've got.

It still makes me laugh how the media try and slag someone off by the size of their tv, it's their way of attempting to belittle someone and go for the jugular, whereas in reality they can be picked up really cheaply new, let alone 2nd hand, and with a few quid put aside for 6 months or more they can buy outright.
Unfortunately technology today is a huge strain on parents too, and a big reason why people get into debt for themselves or their kids, especially with the constant marketing shoved in your face, and the speed they churn out the upgrades of things.
Mobile phones, laptops, tablets, etc are all part of life for kids now, even at school, so people feel obliged to kit them out accordingly, but it all costs a small and often unnecessary fortune.
Gone are the days where you 'walked' down the library to grab a book to learn something......for free.  :\

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2015, 06:53:44 am »
good on yer darrsi  ;) ........ive got a few bikes,its my hobby,working upto 50hr weeks so i think ive earned it,all paid for with hard cash,some of the older bikes are appreacating in value so if i sold i could make money on them,thats not why i bought them though,there staying put for now  :thumbup 

your right about all this marketing sh*t,thats the main reason i dont watch much tv,when i walk up my drive i can clearly see next doors tv,its massive very nearly taking up one wall,our houses aint that big ,must be hard to watch...my tv is old,32" i think.........from front to back   :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2015, 07:31:43 am »
Too many people burning the candle at both ends from my generation (30's) but even worse imo among the folk currently in their 40's and these seem to be the group mostly in massive debt, perhaps because they wre early 30's when getting sky high credit was almost fashionable and very easy to do. Folk in their 50's are a bit less inclined to be like this & more likely to own their houses which were bought at decent low prices so they also tend to be able to have a little bit more cash to save towards stuff.......the younger ones now in their 20's i feel sorry for because theres fat chance of getting on the propert ladder,  minimal chance of loans or a decent job & a bit of a "foc it why should i bother just live for the moment" culture as a result.

But im a firm believer in short term calculated credit and ive always had good relations with my grandad & my dad who have lent me money on a strictly respectful basis so ive never borrowed what i hadnt thoroughly calculated that i could pay them back easily....& never pissed them about..plus the interest rates have been favourable (0) ;)  & they wouldnt reposess my house.

Also i have a 3 year loan on my car.....3 years for me is a reasonable time to be able to look forward with some sense of security of employment & the car, like my house loan is an essential item. It is areasonably priced car though, i couldnt quite justify getting a loan for something more than economical transport, no Honda Integra Type-R this time.

I may also consider a small loan on a new bike, im divided on it. Bikes for me are purely toys so it seems extravagant......but it is my only serious vice.....& i could afford to lose said bike in a crisis situation & keep my car.....again the 3 years would be max time span & it needs to be good value hence i look to the likes of MT07 & Versys & not MT09 or KTM 1290 Adventures.........we have to have some fun........my mate wont think twice on spending £100 on a pair of jeans & theres blokes out there spending £40 on namby pampy hair styling.....others buying extortionate football season tickets or just spending vast ammounts a month in the pub....i cant believe folk get loans on a couch for foc sake.......ill sit on the floor & have a bike thank you very much :lol

Have 1 vice & be kind to yourself...that is acceptable........but have too many vices & it could get messy.....thats what i reckon anyway.

Quite a short post from me that one :b

« Last Edit: 19 January 2015, 07:36:14 am by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2015, 10:45:07 am »
Hi Paul , no flash cars or motorbikes for me , an 8year old  Astra estate and a 13year old fazer . I learnt the hard way a long time ago , nowadays if I want something and can't afford it I save up for it . I only use the credit card for emergencies not luxuries  . Although  if everybody thought like that the banks would be in trouble as they make  money from  borrowers not savers. 
Hi paul .....yep , I think the rise in interest rates is coming soon, I remember when I took out my first mortage I was offered a lot more than I needed, was buying a one bedroom flat for £40,000, had a £6000 deposit so only needed £34,000.....bit different back then. :rolleyes .......building society offered me something like £60,000, based on my earnings, I knew that was way over the top and would struggle with the repayments whilst having a good standard of living....banks are out to make as much money as possible with no thought to the well being of the customer, they are still going to rake in the interest whatever happens, and who pays thd bailiffs   ........ yep.another one for the customer.......end of the day, whatever you borrow you've got to pay back, dont live deyond your needs......

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2015, 05:39:22 pm »
Hi Paul , no flash cars or motorbikes for me , an 8year old  Astra estate and a 13year old fazer . I learnt the hard way a long time ago , nowadays if I want something and can't afford it I save up for it . I only use the credit card for emergencies not luxuries  . Although  if everybody thought like that the banks would be in trouble as they make  money from  borrowers not savers. 
Hi paul .....yep , I think the rise in interest rates is coming soon, I remember when I took out my first mortage I was offered a lot more than I needed, was buying a one bedroom flat for £40,000, had a £6000 deposit so only needed £34,000.....bit different back then. :rolleyes .......building society offered me something like £60,000, based on my earnings, I knew that was way over the top and would struggle with the repayments whilst having a good standard of living....banks are out to make as much money as possible with no thought to the well being of the customer, they are still going to rake in the interest whatever happens, and who pays thd bailiffs   ........ yep.another one for the customer.......end of the day, whatever you borrow you've got to pay back, dont live deyond your needs......

same here
S reg vw Golf Gti, 215,000 miles
and my beloved X reg fazer with only 17,000 miles

id love a brand new Gti but i dont need one, and even my chance to get the TRACER  debt free that ive been thinking about is bothering me,because i dont need the Tracer.
after many years of treading water  dealing with a world of debt left by the ex and her scum family ,im now free of it and im loving the freedom and peace of mind  that being debt free gives me so im in no rush to get back into that world !!

back on topic,i didnt actualy watch the video,but having been so close to having the ballifs knocking on the door,and the stress that came with that,i do feel sorry for genuine hard luck storys,but also seeing people take the piss with credit/repayments i know some people deserve what comes their way.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2015, 06:53:03 pm »
You could be onto to something there mr nog, parhaps it is an age thing and the way you've been bought up.....my parents were always savers, my dad did'nt always have a car walking to work and saturdays grocery shopping was a family outing all 6 of us with a couple of bags each, those were the days  ;)......I lost my dad when I was 24, cancer, heart breaking times but I cant help thinking that he taught me more about "value for money" in those short years than todays  parents do in a lifetime......he always rented and when anyone asked why he hadn't bought he would say....why, if I sold it I would have to buy another......shortly after we lost him my mum bought the house we were in.....payed cash in full....

iam in a comfortable position , my house is payed for, saved up and payed the mortage off, its surprising how the money builds up without a mortage, could easily afford any car or bike I wanted, but I dont because I would never get my moneys worth from buying new......I have a collection of 5 bikes and still have my dads car ,all old but they do the job....

when I first bought my flat I went without a lot of things, mainly holidays not even having a honeymoon when I got married, putting everything into the house I have now,if I want to treat myself I dip into my savings but always make sure I pay myself back.....with interest   :lol........

foc me noggy......my posts are getting longer than yours   :eek.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2015, 08:47:43 am »
It's interesting because some loans are socially acceptable yet others aren't.

A mortgage is considered sensible but is just a bank loan & over 30 years the ammount you pay back for that house is pretty incredible......but nobody says to just save up the money & buy that house outright because to save up £160k or whatever the average house costs would take too long.

A car loan is often seen as extravagant......ive had folk ask me why i needed a new car.....well i didnt need brand new, but i couldnt afford a car a couple years old so i went with a sensibly priced new car, part finance. I dont see the point in someone in their 70's buying a new car but me at 32 years young....i still plan on driving in 15 years time by which time my car will be at the end of its life, but ill know its history & it'll be well looked after & saves me the hassle of buying say 5 cheap cars in that same period & all of the inevitable surprises of a car you dont fully know the history of, much the same, i plan on living in a house in 15 years time, both are essential purchases.

All that being said....red..you having your dads old car....ive said this before but in about 2000 when my grandad realised he couldnt safely drive any more he gave a young nog his 1.4 vauxhall astra N reg that he had owned from new....what did i do.....swapped it a couple years later with my dad for his Mk2 Golf GTI.....& umpteen cars later & another 15 years later my dad is still driving that car & it has practically cost him nothing......theres some spirit of my old grandad still in that car i reckon...ok it is well tired & would have put far more miles on it so no doubt still wouldnt have it but when i look at the interior it is still better condition than my now 1 year old car....my dad just cant bring himself to get rid although he knows it is close. Talk about cheap motoring.....but we all looked after it from new.

Apart from that though im much the same although probably not quite so frugal as you......but i also havent had a honeymoon, my last proper holiday was probably skiing in Bavaria in 2002...it was subsidised...as apart from that my holidays are basically visiting the family in scotland.....ive even got a stainless steel wedding ring so my missus could get a decent one. My tv is 32 inch & 7 years old & i dont have sky TV...but ive got the solid things...a nice house, quality furniture & fittings & im never in my overdraft......but i could easily have all of the trapping if i went into enough debt......my sister has a good job & is 2 years younger, always in massive debt, never been out of her overdraft, has everything, been to Vegas & been proposed to under the sea in sham al sheik & all that pish....you know the types.....they kiss dolphins in florida etc etc etc :lol

One more thing.....an old fashioned word used by Red......."savings".........totally a thing of the past now....even im guilty of that....older guys at work always tap into their "savings"....defo a generational thing is that one.....us young uns class savings as having £200 left in the account at the end of the month & my savings are always results driven ie i want a new bike so i go into uber frugal mode  & start saving for one rather than saving first & then deciding.......but then the banks arent rewarding savers & thats what us young uns are used to knowing.

Pilgo........nowt like an Acid female to screw you over is there...i think we've all been there........snakes wi tits some of them but ive gotta say theres just as many nice ones & i found one eventually. Not long finished paying back 20k myself over what id describe as the most expensive shags i ever had :b
« Last Edit: 20 January 2015, 08:56:56 am by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 January 2015, 06:46:20 pm »
  :o...silly, silly me....all that ranting and raving ive done in this thread and I can now see that iam wrong....silly me

got a call today from some sort of "debt helpline", cold calling  :rolleyes....recorded message saying they could help me with my debts.....new legislation just introduced helps them to write off upto 70%of your debts......I ended the call before they had finished and had a little think......3mins later iam in my local yam dealer buying the most expensive bike they have, all on credit, I then went to my local vw dealer and bought myself a GTI and one of those cute little beetles for mrs red, again all on credit...fantastic, I now look super  rich with two brand new cars on the drive.....and the best bit.....going to get back 70% of the money ive spent that wasn't mine in the first place...........cant believe ive been so stupid for so long....................

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 January 2015, 07:51:36 pm »
I can
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 January 2015, 08:02:59 pm »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 January 2015, 08:04:38 pm »
Your not silly mr red.iam the silly one on this forum......

Cheers exup, teas on me next time we meet   ;)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2015, 08:10:36 pm »
 Red , if you can order me a new bike as well I'll give you half what you paid and then when you get your 70% back you'll be up on the deal :) go on you know it makes sense.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 January 2015, 08:22:11 pm »
Andy, keep this to yourself mate.....I think ive found a loophole in the system, iam going to buy you a bike and also everyone on this forum.....then as you say, just claim the money back........keep it to yourself untill I get the money as knowing this government they will cotton on immediately  after a few years and close the loophole down........iam going to be rich beyond my wildest dreams.......................