Date: 01-06-24  Time: 15:55 pm

Author Topic: Leather Jacket - Anyone Got One of These  (Read 2280 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Leather Jacket - Anyone Got One of These
« on: 16 January 2015, 01:16:43 pm »
Hiya fellas,

After many years of textile jackets, I fancy going back to a leather jobby.

Looking at something similar to the one in the link and curious if anyone has one as they seem popular if a little old school. Going to buy used as new are 'kin expensive.

Think one of the main issues is when do they become too hot to wear in the summer. Have my textile teabag jacket for the really hot days. Not fussed about waterproof side either to be honest.

Any thoughts appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Jacket-Leather-48-Excellent-condition-heavy-duty-Armoured-/231454748590?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Clothing&hash=item35e3c72fae

Cheers  :thumbup
« Last Edit: 16 January 2015, 01:17:39 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Leather Jacket - Anyone Got One of These
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2015, 01:24:49 pm »
I love my Furygan  leather jacket, the houston ammo best buy one.

Shame i've errr...grown out of it.......i shall fit it again.

To be honest i got no more hot in it than i do in my textile RST jacket.

I did feel safer while wearing it and it seemed to make me relax more and ride a smidge better, it was always tight but felt very protective and when i did crash while wearing it, it held up really well and now has a lovely aged look to it from scuffs and dirt.

I wasnt too impressed with the matching trousers though, the waist band is too low for me andi have big hips so they always felt like they were sliding down.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2015, 01:49:51 pm »
Ive got an alpniestars leather jacket that i got fairly cheap from hein gerrik. Its great in the summer but i prefer textiles this time of year.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2015, 02:07:06 pm »
I have a Wolf leather jacket. I bought it off my boss after he and his Ducati went through a hedge. It looks good with leather breeks or jeans. It weighs a ton and I feel like I could take down a truck when I'm wearing it (although I'd prefer not to test that out  :lol ).

I have a textile too though. You need both up here.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2015, 02:32:57 pm »
I have a Belstaff jacket that is almost exactly the same as the one in the link.

Too hot in the summer in central London - so I ride without a jacket.  it is cooler than a textile jacket though.
Not warm enough in the winter.  I am riding with a huge waterproof over the top to get an extra layer.  OK in central London, wouldn't be warm enough on the motorway.
When cool I find it hard to effectively seal the neck from a blast of cold air onto my chest.
When raining you need to cover it with a waterproof layer.  The dye / boot polish has marked my shirt when water got past my waterproof layer.
Cuff links do not sit well underneath the fitted arms.

On the plus side I've had mine since I first started biking, so it is 18 years old!  Black is good as it doesn't show the road muck and can be polished with show polish.  There are patches on seams where the leather is now worn (probably from wearing a plastic coat over the top), doesn't show up badly /some people think it adds to the charm.  The style is pretty classic so doesn't age too bad.

If you only have a single jacket then I'd say get a textile one with a removable thermal liner.  I used to have one and my leather jacket only came out on dry summer days.  As you are looking at buying second hand then I'd say go for it and give it a try.  2nd hand biker leathers are cheap as there is so much out there.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2015, 02:50:07 pm »
I love my Furygan  leather jacket, the houston ammo best buy one. All my gear is Furygan, love the stuff but can't afford a new one

Shame i've errr...grown out of it.......i shall fit it again.

To be honest i got no more hot in it than i do in my textile RST jacket.

I did feel safer while wearing it and it seemed to make me relax more and ride a smidge better, it was always tight but felt very protective and when i did crash while wearing it, it held up really well and now has a lovely aged look to it from scuffs and dirt.

I wasnt too impressed with the matching trousers though, the waist band is too low for me andi have big muffin hips so they always felt like they were sliding down.

Fixed that for you Noggy  :lol

All sounds good but whadyall reckon on the cheapy one in the link - I'm not exactly flushed with £250 odd for a new 'un.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2015, 06:19:37 pm »
I wouldn't buy a leather jacket like that unseen off ebay TBH. I have seen jackets advertised as "motorcycle" before where in actual fact, "motorcycle style" would have been more accurate. There are jackets out there that look the part, but are only really a style thing, and would give very little protection in the event of a spill. Without at least knowing the manufacturer, I would steer clear.

But funny you should say about going back to a leather jacket after years with textiles; I've just done the exact same thing. Just got myself an Alpine Stars Jaws leather jacket from work for summer use (plus 2 HJC helmets and A* summer riding shoes). As I'll be leaving the job soon, thought I'd stock up while I can get it all cheap, as I've kicked myself in the past for not doing so!

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2015, 06:20:28 pm »
I got mine from south wales superbikes 175 new,  nice bit of kit as well.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2015, 08:51:30 pm »
I've been back to leather past couple of years, but a modern one with textile flexible panels in places. With a fleece underneath and a waterproof dickies hiviz storm jacket on top when raining.   I have goretex trousers with leather panels.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2015, 10:25:04 pm »
Ive always worn them, currently got 3 on the go. They do tend to vary a lot in size though, Ive got a medium, a large and an extra large and they all fit the same.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2015, 10:53:32 pm »
If you can get that for a couple of Quid and the postage is not set stupidly high it has to be worth a punt. If it is crap just cut your losses and put it back on E Bay.

Always check the sellers feedback and rating your seller is showing 100% feedback so has to be worth ago.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2015, 10:54:40 pm »
I got made to measure Scott Leathers.   Got them in spring 2009.  Cost 550 quid for top of the range jacket and trousers made to my spec.

Heavy duty leather (lots of road racers wear Scott leathers), it can get way to hot in summer - hence last summer I bought some armoured jeans for when the weather is too warm for the troosers. 

The jacket on e-bay?  Reasonable value at 99p, but I wouldn't pay a penny more - would be fine for toodling around on my 1974 C90.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2015, 11:33:52 pm »
I have a Belstaff jacket that is almost exactly the same as the one in the link.

Too hot in the summer in central London - so I ride without a jacket.  it is cooler than a textile jacket though.
Not warm enough in the winter.  I am riding with a huge waterproof over the top to get an extra layer.  OK in central London, wouldn't be warm enough on the motorway.
When cool I find it hard to effectively seal the neck from a blast of cold air onto my chest.
When raining you need to cover it with a waterproof layer.  The dye / boot polish has marked my shirt when water got past my waterproof layer.
Cuff links do not sit well underneath the fitted arms.

On the plus side I've had mine since I first started biking, so it is 18 years old!  Black is good as it doesn't show the road muck and can be polished with show polish.  There are patches on seams where the leather is now worn (probably from wearing a plastic coat over the top), doesn't show up badly /some people think it adds to the charm.  The style is pretty classic so doesn't age too bad.

If you only have a single jacket then I'd say get a textile one with a removable thermal liner.  I used to have one and my leather jacket only came out on dry summer days.  As you are looking at buying second hand then I'd say go for it and give it a try.  2nd hand biker leathers are cheap as there is so much out there.

Fit for feck all by the sounds of it  :lol

But funny you should say about going back to a leather jacket after years with textiles; I've just done the exact same thing. Just got myself an Alpine Stars Jaws leather jacket from work for summer use (plus 2 HJC helmets and A* summer riding shoes). As I'll be leaving the job soon, thought I'd stock up while I can get it all cheap, as I've kicked myself in the past for not doing so!

No club discount then Nick??

If you can get that for a couple of Quid and the postage is not set stupidly high it has to be worth a punt. If it is crap just cut your losses and put it back on E Bay.

Always check the sellers feedback and rating your seller is showing 100% feedback so has to be worth ago.

My thoughts entirely Lew. Can upgrade armour if I wish and if I don't like it then just out it.

Cheers for all the advice fellas, much appreciated  :thumbup

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2015, 12:28:11 am »
Id say go for it, you already have another jacket so you can decide what to wear on which day. It might not be the best quality jacket in the world but common sense tells you, you pays your money you takes your choice. Im sure it will stand up to sliding down the road at speeds far exceeding that of any C90!!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2015, 08:34:19 am »
I love my Furygan  leather jacket, the houston ammo best buy one. All my gear is Furygan, love the stuff but can't afford a new oneShame i've errr...grown out of it.......i shall fit it again.To be honest i got no more hot in it than i do in my textile RST jacket.I did feel safer while wearing it and it seemed to make me relax more and ride a smidge better, it was always tight but felt very protective and when i did crash while wearing it, it held up really well and now has a lovely aged look to it from scuffs and dirt.I wasnt too impressed with the matching trousers though, the waist band is too low for me andi have big muffin hips so they always felt like they were sliding down.
Fixed that for you Noggy  :lol All sounds good but whadyall reckon on the cheapy one in the link - I'm not exactly flushed with £250 odd for a new 'un.

Im not fat im festively plump :lol

I agree with others, an old leather jacket wouldnt be an issue but for me it'd have to have a name on a tag somewhere to prove it is motorcycle grade, theres no mention of the armour being CE approved either.

Most likely this is one of those jackets that illegal immigrants wear to make themselves blend in when sneaking across the border & by all accounts they seem to work so i say buy it anyway and just use it for shoplifting and then sell the merchandise & use it to buy a Furygan jacket. :b

Also maybe blokes who got new bike kit for xmas will soon start selling it on ebay or their old stuff so keep a beady eye on ebay.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike