Date: 01-06-24  Time: 16:51 pm

Author Topic: Window Shopping ?  (Read 2821 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Window Shopping ?
« on: 16 January 2015, 07:23:06 am »
Had some spare time on Wednesday & popped in to my local Yamaha dealer. They are in the process of moving premises and had moved the bikes around. There was an MT07ABS that caught my eye. Spoke to one of the sales guys who I have known a long time and  apparently these retail at £5845 compared with the non-ABS which had a list price of £5295 (Both prices OTR). He said that all the new stock will be ABS models-something to do with impending new legislation e=requiring all new bikes over 125cc being fitted with ABS brakes from 2016.
Having never owned a bike with ABS I dont particularly want to pay an extra £550 for the privelege.
Now I like the looks/spec of the 7 (& had already mentally budgeted for a better rear shock for £500).
The problem being I dont want to sell my Fazer,having spent time & money making it the way I like it & it is such a good all-rounder that I never want to part with it until I am too decrepit to ride any more.
So.... If  I buy an MT07-it would be as a second bike for weekend fun etc.
I guess I would have to be very lucky to find an unsold brand new non-ABS example so I would have to justify a possible outlay of £6345 (inc rear shock).
Am going to have test ride on their demonstrator once they move into new premises next week.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Window Shopping ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2015, 11:06:59 am »
i had a sit on one at the nec and it felt like a comfortable natural riding position. The reviews are are all good so for the money it seems like a good bike. like you im not sure i want abs although some on here would tell you it would be a good idea for me to stop better.I can only afford one bike and i havnt finnished getting the fz1 just right yet but if and when the time comes to look for something lighter the mt07 is deffinately in the mix.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2015, 11:58:43 am »
My ZZR has ABS but if it had been a cost option I would not payed extra for it
Its just a ride

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2015, 12:26:26 pm »
I have ABS and traction control on my 1200RT.  I might not have considered them as separate options but they were included on the spec of bike and I have been grateful for them on a couple of occasions.  When you need them you'll be very happy that they are there. 

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2015, 05:53:12 pm »
Belated Update!!
Well they say if you hang around a barbershop long enough you will end up with a haircut.
Obviously I have been looking at too many bikes in too many showrooms & today the inevitable happened!
Was "persuaded" to take out the MT07 demonstrator for an hour & it got that silly grin going all over my face.
Maybe it was the free mugs of coffee ?.......However I went for it and will be collecting her on St Davids Day-March 1st!
Now I have to rebudget to enable me to keep Rhondda Red as well so looks like Aldi beans on toast for a while for this happy old *** ! :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2015, 06:04:30 pm »
Oh no, :groan don't let Noggy see this.  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2015, 07:08:58 pm »
Oh no, :groan don't let Noggy see this.  :lol

:tape
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2015, 08:19:20 pm »
Is it just me although i like the look of the MT07, isn't it just the same as the 600 fazer, similar engine ok 2 more pots but essentially same power. Why would you not consider the MT09,  apart from more money.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2015, 09:05:40 pm »
Come on Dave, tell us oh wise one.

Everything i read about the MT07 says that it defies what's on paper......but those who havent ridden it suggest that it will be slow.

You hopped from the fazer to the MT07 so how did it compare?
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2015, 10:12:43 pm »
Mate of mine went from an FZ 6 S2 to the MT-07, he loves it bags of low down torque very flickable and comfy on a long run.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2015, 05:40:21 pm »
Is it just me although i like the look of the MT07, isn't it just the same as the 600 fazer, similar engine ok 2 more pots but essentially same power. Why would you not consider the MT09,  apart from more money.
That was the main consideration-the price difference! Ive got a brand new bike for £5645 rather than £8345 for the new MT09 Tracer.
I must be honest I didnt expect great things from a 700cc parallel twin making around 70bhp but the test ride was a revelation. Its light,neutral,agile,flickable& for me the absence of a screen/fairing wasnt a problem in yesterdays murky cool conditions-in fact I experienced less turbulence/wind noise than on my FZS.
Similar to the fazer..no, not really, as it carries a lot less weight and that "crossplane" derived engine makes for a relaxed torquey ride. I was reminded of how the old British bikes (eg 650 Bonneville) managed with "only" c 50bhp. It also feels a bit like a V twin in that it pulls relatively cleanly from low revs in a higher gear but has a definite edge to it when using the spread of gears through the rev range.
I was also aware that the test bike only had a hundred odd miles on the clock so the motor was still tight.
Now I "persuaded" myself i wanted this bike and price was the determining factor.
If money was no object i would also have  a few more bikes of different characters, including the absolutely stunning looking MT09 Tracer which to me has all the looks of a modern Fazer with a fabulous 3-pot motor.
I switched allegiance from the big H to Yamaha a few years ago and the decision has proved to be the right one...
I did notice a nice late Pan European for <£6k. But how would a weak old "foccer" like me move it around?! :lol [size=78%] [/size]

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2015, 05:45:00 pm »
Come on Dave, tell us oh wise one.

Everything i read about the MT07 says that it defies what's on paper......but those who havent ridden it suggest that it will be slow.

You hopped from the fazer to the MT07 so how did it compare?
Hard to put into words Noggy-i can only suggest you try one!!!
I certainly dont want to part with "Rhondda Red"
I feel I have two entirely different bikes but will post more after riding a bit.
Spent a long time this morning waiting to speak to my insurers to arrange cover from St Davids Day!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2015, 06:30:56 pm »

engine makes for a relaxed torquey ride

Hmmm you see you are putting me off now, I dont want relaxed
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2015, 06:01:34 am »

engine makes for a relaxed torquey ride

Hmmm you see you are putting me off now, I dont want relaxed

I could have worded it better.
The MT07 seems to have 2 characters: The "relaxed torquey ride" is available by keeping the revs in the lower part of whats available,short-shifting through the gears. The bike will roll on from lower speed in a higher gear than I am used to  with the FZS 600 ( a bit like the v-twin motor in my old Honda NTV 650).
OR alternatively, use the revs & exploit the gears to get that surprisingly good "shove".
I dont take everything MCN says as gospel truth but can quite see why they voted it machine of the year 2014.
In a nutshell: it seems to be whatever you want it to be but I understand its not for everyone.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2015, 09:14:33 am »
get that surprisingly good "shove".

Now thats better
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.