Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:17 pm

Author Topic: clutch cable  (Read 3538 times)

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
clutch cable
« on: 31 January 2012, 08:32:55 am »

any wisdom on whether this is any good please?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150745688734?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

the next price up seems to be around 20 posted, i guess that a genuine yamaha version is around the bag mark.
is it clean enough?

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
Re: clutch cable
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2012, 09:11:22 am »
I've tried a couple of cheapies from ebay and neither fitted, one too long and the other too short.  One looked OK quality wise (but obcviousy did not get to use it), but the other one was very shabby.

I got one of the £20ish ones from WeMoto and fits a treat (http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/01-03/picture/clutch_cable/). 

I have since found out that if you take the old cable to some places they can refit the inners (all sheathed up like the Yamaha genuine ones) for about £10-£15, but as I have a new cable I did not bother looking too much more into this although I have a name some where for some one in Sussex if you want it.

Genuine Yamaha are £85ish (I seem to remember being said just as I passed out).

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2012, 06:03:50 pm »

thanks ghoti, appreciated. having read up some more i think that the clutch cover will be coming off to look for this missing plug in the shaft business, as that seems to cure the symptons i'm experiencing for other posters.
is it clean enough?

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2012, 06:37:48 pm »
I also bought a cheaper  replacement on ebay,it looked good but  was totally useless,the first one came away where it is crimped at the bend so they sent a replacement which did exactly the same. I then had to argue for a refund,I cant remember the makers name but I ended up biting the bullet and buying a Yam one  theyre not cheap but youve got the peace of mind of not worrying about it.

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2012, 09:29:54 am »
i had one replaced on the warranty after the bike was a yr old in 04 sorry bike 04 was about a yr later anyway they weren,t going to do it on warranty originaly till they quoted 37 quid for a new one and i went berserk .battery died a week later and they changed it sweet as .wonder why lol.6ft 3 17 stone lol
cheers
bash

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2012, 06:00:20 pm »
it is no suprise that a lot of people buy a cable from ebay,i have just had a look at the price from a yamaha dealer,£82.38 http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/partImage.asp?GPN=Z%3AQ%5B7%3B88%3A5555&uid=0
if you want a cheaper genuine cable then here is a cheaper way to get it http://www.cmsnl.com/products/cable-clutch_5lv2633500/ ,that is a better price of 61 euros plus post

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2012, 11:01:36 pm »
I also bought a cheaper  replacement on ebay,it looked good but  was totally useless,the first one came away where it is crimped at the bend so they sent a replacement which did exactly the same. I then had to argue for a refund,I cant remember the makers name but I ended up biting the bullet and buying a Yam one  theyre not cheap but youve got the peace of mind of not worrying about it.

Yep, me too on that one!

The cables were all supplied by Hi Level (parts wholesaler) to the various shops that then sold them on to the public via ebay.

I seem to recall Hi Level punt them out to the trade for something like £4.95 + VAT.  :eek

The part number is prefixed by "HL..." is a give away.

Avoid like the plague, these cables are as much use as tits on a bull.  :'(

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

fletch

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2012, 09:12:56 pm »
i bought one from m&p and the inner cable is about 75mm too long

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2012, 10:48:03 pm »
With the price of the cable has anyone converted a fazer to a hydraulic clutch?

fletch

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2012, 10:23:09 pm »
I've tried a couple of cheapies from ebay and neither fitted, one too long and the other too short.  One looked OK quality wise (but obcviousy did not get to use it), but the other one was very shabby.

I got one of the £20ish ones from WeMoto and fits a treat (http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/01-03/picture/clutch_cable/). 

I have since found out that if you take the old cable to some places they can refit the inners (all sheathed up like the Yamaha genuine ones) for about £10-£15, but as I have a new cable I did not bother looking too much more into this although I have a name some where for some one in Sussex if you want it.

ordered on wednesday night delivered on friday morning thanks for the tip

Genuine Yamaha are £85ish (I seem to remember being said just as I passed out).

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2012, 06:37:41 pm »
Mr Whale is correct, Hi Level it was. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY they are rubbish.