Date: 01-06-24  Time: 16:24 pm

Author Topic: Verging On Buying A Second Bike - What would you have?  (Read 19526 times)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Verging On Buying A Second Bike
« Reply #25 on: 01 December 2014, 02:18:39 pm »
A single cyl supermoto is something everyone should try once ..... mad as a box of frogs and defo a 2nd bike  :lol

This is exactly my thought too. I can't see the point of having two bikes that do such similar things.
If I ever go for a second bike it will be a bonkers supermoto with an extra set of off road wheels and tyres so I can practice falling off. :D
« Last Edit: 01 December 2014, 02:35:11 pm by dazza »

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 December 2014, 02:20:47 pm »
If you go down the striple route, test ride the one you're going to buy and ride it across the rev range (not in short bursts).

Many have a high frequency buzz at 4-6k that becomes annoying. I had a Tiger 800 (same engine with longer stroke, ooer), and got rid of it even though it was great to ride as the vibes eventually killed my love of the bike. Seems many of the modern trumpets do it.

I'd personally go the other way and get a lower powered bike if you want fun.

Fun is being on the limits of a bikes abilities, which on modern bikes realistically takes a very good rider and usually ends up being plain dangerous on the road to get those sorts of speeds.

The single is a great idea. Lots of fun without the need to be going light speed.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 December 2014, 04:08:38 pm »
I love these threads fair play.......forever a pontificator i sure am.

Anyways......i have some questions because folk are now so saying how fun that a single supermoto can be......but it seems to me that there is still a bit of snobbery involved too.

Firstly i really like the MT07 but folk say no it will be too underpowered.....but here we are talking about si gles with simillar HP or less that can still be fun......so why shouldnt the MT07?

Secondly....Stevie mentions the MZ Baghera which his mate was rapid on in the twisties......this is the type of bike I'm after........actually i've always liked the MZ Mastiff as they just look so evil...............they use the yamaha XT660 motor.......read reviews on them and its all fun fun fun............but read about the actual yamaha XT660SM and things are apparently not so fun.....exactly the same motor and a simillar style bike so is this just bike snobbery coming through and giving the yamaha a bad image?.............we then look at the MT03......again the same 660 single....apparently handles amazingly yet again it doesnt have that cool image and folk are all oh no not enough power......yet they dont say that about other bikes using the same engine...........& that brings me back to the MT07 because i think all of those single cylinder SM's are probably spot on for the twisties but then folk are getting frustrated about their top speed......well the little MT is just that much quicker top end whilst still being lightweight but not having too much power that you cant use......it just isnt quite ain a supermoto format so i think that is its dwnfall on the cool wall..........but stick its engine in a new supermoto platform and i think it would be a firm winner.

Some iccies included since we love piccies. 8)

:useless
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 December 2014, 04:21:42 pm »
Noggy, we love these threads cos we get to talk about what we love - bikes. Better than all the poxy political threads that have been appearing lately  :smash

I dunno mate. It's like the SV650. A cracking little bike really. Put some better suspension on, and a nice can (they sound lovely with a good can) and you'd have a half decent bike. But they run out of puff very quickly up the top end. Now that may not be a problem if you've got more than one bike, and you say you only want something for shorter fun blasts. But think what mileage you're actually covering on your rides. Aberystwyth, North Wales - not really short blats are they? And yes, Wales has a lot of nice B roads, mountain roads etc. But it's also got a wealth of brilliant, fast A roads, and I just think that middleweight twins and singles will be a bit lacking when you hit those kinds of road. But it's all personal opinion and preference at the end of the day. I've said it loads of times; bikes are affairs of the heart, and you gotta go with that. Just remember that you're considering something as an only bike. My search is for a second bike, so the Fazer will always be there.

Had a sit on a Striple today. Well, even though my knee is still a bit stiff, I could get my feet on the pegs easy enough. It's a bit more cramped than the Fazer, but didn't seem that bad. Next thing is to get a test ride.

I may well try a single SM at some point, but not ready for that yet. There are several bikes that come before any singles. These include KTM 990 SD, Aprilia Tuono, and possibly Ducati Hypermotard. All twins. The only twin I've ridden (Wet Dreams don't count) was an SV650, which quickly became boring as definitely lacking in the grunt department.

What I have realised, since pondering what more modern bikes than the Fazer I want to try, is that actually, the choice isn't that huge. Some of the ones I would like to try haven't been around long enough for there to be some nicely priced 2nd hand examples about. I don't know if it's just that the bikes aren't popping into my mind right now, maybe I'm missing some?

Foc me, that Akra can on the XT looks foccin huge!
« Last Edit: 01 December 2014, 04:22:39 pm by nick crisp »

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 December 2014, 04:24:26 pm »
Firestorm?  If the headfairing was prettier it'd be a cracking bike.  Not sure about size.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 December 2014, 04:57:23 pm »

Couple of my old 2nd bikes ... a twin and a single (only have one at the moment though)

the fun of a single is it turns your riding upside down :-)

Normally only 5 gears and limited revs so you have dance up and down the box ,no lazy holding gears .
Use the rear brake more than the front .
Cornering is much much deeper and just a dab of brake to maintain momentum then put it on its ear
Kerb's , speed bumps .traffic island are all fair game with the long travel suspension
And nothing barks like a single with a fruity can.

They of course have downsides ,you have to keep up on of your checks ,oil loose bolts etc much more and they are frustrating to ride with groups of roads bikers as you will cane it  but as a weekend toy loads of giggles

Yes I want another lol

Its just a ride

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 December 2014, 06:53:24 pm »

That Dorsoduro is nice Ralphie,

what about these electrical gremlins though......did you have any issues?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 December 2014, 07:20:22 pm »
Noggy, we love these threads cos we get to talk about what we love - bikes. Better than all the poxy political threads that have been appearing lately  :smash

I dunno mate. It's like the SV650. A cracking little bike really. Put some better suspension on, and a nice can (they sound lovely with a good can) and you'd have a half decent bike. But they run out of puff very quickly up the top end. Now that may not be a problem if you've got more than one bike, and you say you only want something for shorter fun blasts. But think what mileage you're actually covering on your rides. Aberystwyth, North Wales - not really short blats are they? And yes, Wales has a lot of nice B roads, mountain roads etc. But it's also got a wealth of brilliant, fast A roads, and I just think that middleweight twins and singles will be a bit lacking when you hit those kinds of road. But it's all personal opinion and preference at the end of the day. I've said it loads of times; bikes are affairs of the heart, and you gotta go with that. Just remember that you're considering something as an only bike. My search is for a second bike, so the Fazer will always be there.

Had a sit on a Striple today. Well, even though my knee is still a bit stiff, I could get my feet on the pegs easy enough. It's a bit more cramped than the Fazer, but didn't seem that bad. Next thing is to get a test ride.

I may well try a single SM at some point, but not ready for that yet. There are several bikes that come before any singles. These include KTM 990 SD, Aprilia Tuono, and possibly Ducati Hypermotard. All twins. The only twin I've ridden (Wet Dreams don't count) was an SV650, which quickly became boring as definitely lacking in the grunt department.

What I have realised, since pondering what more modern bikes than the Fazer I want to try, is that actually, the choice isn't that huge. Some of the ones I would like to try haven't been around long enough for there to be some nicely priced 2nd hand examples about. I don't know if it's just that the bikes aren't popping into my mind right now, maybe I'm missing some?

Foc me, that Akra can on the XT looks foccin huge!

I've gotta say that even my little 600 had too much top end speed...if only some of it had been tapped into more mid range...... I cruise at 80mph and I want something that can overtake so it is important to have a bit of grunt from 50-80mph.

max required speed for me is 100......im going over it far too often.........but for me to simply get a bike that does a max of 100 would probably mean that it was out of puff really at 80.....only achieving its max of 100 under duress........that's no good getting out of puff at the optimum cruise speed for me........so I want the bike to be getting out of puff at 100....which to me I think means a bike with a max speed beyond that.....so lets say a max of 120...............................real science this by the way...noggy science :rolleyes.......but hear me out..........it will get to 100 quick enough yet will be then losing puff and this is good because it prevents the extreme speeds whilst still being fast enough........it will do overtakes at normal speeds and easily cruise at 80..........it will be lightweight and flickable.

So im just convincing myself more here that the MT07 is that bike......flogging a dead horse perhaps....but I really think it will do it and so far the reviews put it in a much better regard than the SV650 with regards to character....as if it shouldn't as good as the sum of its parts.....just like the original FZS600. :)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 December 2014, 07:40:56 pm »
Noggy, you need a TDR 250, 1980's two stroke nut nut bike that is light and flickable, will do 120 mph and will match anything away from the lights, through the traffic and round the twisties......And as a bonus, will never lose any value, only go up.

Hang on a minute....Have you  :hijack   'ed Nicks thread.  :lol

« Last Edit: 01 December 2014, 08:13:56 pm by dazza »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 December 2014, 07:57:42 pm »
Noggy, you need a TDR 250, 1980's two stroke nut nut bike that is light and flickable, will do 120 mph and will match anything away from the lights, through the traffic and round the twisties......And as a bonus, will never lose any value, only go up.

I hijack everybodys threads.....it is what I do......and then I kill them :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil

TDR 250 eh....hmmmmm....I know not of these.....time for google.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2014, 07:58:22 pm by noggythenog »

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 December 2014, 08:01:28 pm »
I've got a second bike, VFR 1200 FD

Lots of fun

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 December 2014, 08:07:56 pm »
I was very tempted by this  in Fowlers last week , as a second bike and a completely different riding experience than the Fazer.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 December 2014, 08:27:33 pm »
Haha I've been banging on about supermoto's for 2 years and always got the feeling everyone was going "Oh not this lanky prick again"! Glad to see the tides have turned! I really like my Fzs but it just doesn't fit me that good and the riding I do / my riding style will fit more perfectly into the supermoto bracket along with my pipe cleaner legs. Definitely food for thought for next summer, unfortunately unless I get a better job it's one or the other so I'm jealous of people like Nick who have the luxury of being able to have 2! I never go above 70 cruising on the motorway because I hate the wind blast and all 600-odd cc SM's will do that until your ass screams no more so going to Wales which is the furthest I go wont be an issue. Mt-07 sound great with after market cans, can't read enough about how good they are but styling and physical size wise they don't do it for me. I have never been interested in triumphs but once again another highly rated bike. Too many bikes to try and not enough time / money!

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 December 2014, 08:33:35 pm »
Oh yeah Noggy the XT660 being crap is nothing about snobbery when compared to the MZ, apparently the fuelling is diabolical to the point of verging on dangerous whatever you do below 30mph unless you make some modifications. Yamaha did not accept any responsibility and denied any issue allegedly. The MZ is carbed so has no fuelling issues as long as it's set up correctly which it is from the factory, the engine itself is excellent and highly reliable. I personally don't like the styling of the MT 03 and it's quite expensive for what it is but apparently there are no fuelling issues on that.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 December 2014, 09:16:58 pm »

very nice dazza those TDR thingies......what a review they get.....alas a bit too old for me I think.......if I had to have an older bike then it would be a TRX but I quite fancy something fairly modern with fuel injection.

street triples must meet the criteria surely.......after all they are kind of what Yamaha are trying to emulate with their MT range I think.....again though it is price......little MT07 is so cheap....even if you got one and whapped a tidy Nitron shock on it and a few extras it would still be a cheap bike.

Admittedly as you say yamazer they don't look the prettiest do they....but I wouldn't call a street triple pretty either....just bikey.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 December 2014, 09:30:35 pm »
I had a gear sensor hiccup on the Dorsoduro but it was sorted under warranty
I chopped it in for a V2 Tuono factory now that major electrical meltdown, fryed its stator in the channel tunnel car park  :'(

Its just a ride

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 December 2014, 10:21:36 pm »

Foc it. If it gets folks talking about bikes instead of bloody politics, go for it! Thread title altered  :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Verging On Buying A Second Bike - What would you have?
« Reply #42 on: 01 December 2014, 10:23:59 pm »
Ah, two strokes! All getting so bloody expensive though  :(  Wish I'd bought that 350LC that was at the Stafford show!  :'(

Foccin ell dazza, that 500LC one looks barking!  :eek
« Last Edit: 01 December 2014, 10:43:33 pm by nick crisp »

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01 December 2014, 10:57:06 pm »
You're not wrong there Nick,  would sell what's left of my soul to own that.
There was talk a few years ago of Yamaha re' introducing the rd350 and a 350 updated version of the tdr, second picture down.
If only they would, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2014, 11:57:47 pm by dazza »

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 December 2014, 11:58:19 pm »
You might be able to get one of these next year:

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 02 December 2014, 06:36:03 am »
Nick, i heard you need one with stabillisers :lol :lol :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02 December 2014, 09:22:16 am »
Nick, if you really like MT09, have you considered selling the FZ1 (I know... hear me out) and buying a brand new MT09 Tracer thing that's coming out in 2015? It's an Yamaha, it's an MT09, and it has about as much fairing as a Fazer, and it sure looks comfortable!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 02 December 2014, 09:57:23 am »
Nick, i heard you need one with stabillisers :lol :lol :lol

Mate, I need stabilisers just for walking  :rolleyes

have you considered selling the  Fazer

What? WHAT??!! Have you taken leave of your senses?! Go and wash your mouth out with soap!  :lol

Seriously, I love the   :faz  too much. This isn't about finding a replacement for it, it just does everything too well. This, for me, is just about a passion for bikes, and wanting to try some different stuff. I am in the enviable position of being able, if I really wanted, to go and buy a Kawasaki H2R, or a KTM1290 SDR, and still carry through with the plans for my move next year. But I do still have a more practical side ( :z   :lol ), and £5k seems a reasonable spend to start with. Can get a choice of some pretty good stuff at that price. I will never buy new again. It's an experience that everyone should have at least once in their life perhaps, but been there, done that, not going to take the depreciation hit anymore. And as I said, for me, the MT09 is yet to prove itself. I've read of a number of people who have bought them and then immediately gone and splashed out £100s of pounds to upgrade the suspension for one thing. Why should anyone need to do that if they've just laid out for a brand new bike? Seems daft to me. Ok, you might do it on a 2nd hander, but if I ever did buy new again, it had better be right from the start.

Deefer666

• GP Hero
  • Loves to hit stuff with hammers!
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FJ1200
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Republic
« Reply #48 on: 02 December 2014, 10:04:07 am »
I'd have this as my second bike....

Oh yeah, that is my second bike!  :D :D :D
Owner of Motorcycle Republic, Specialist in unfucking things that others have fucked up.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 December 2014, 10:07:11 am »
Soap? I have heard of that alright, rich vain folks and their fancy shtuff. Waste of water I say.

Alright, I take that all back.