Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:35 am

Author Topic: Verging On Buying A Second Bike - What would you have?  (Read 19523 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Verging On Buying A Second Bike - What would you have?
« on: 30 November 2014, 11:08:16 am »
The itch is getting very strong now!

So, a lot of bikes out there to choose from; classic Jap, other models of Fazer, new models etc etc. But the one I keep on coming back to is the Street Triple. The Fazer is still the newest thing I have ever ridden, and I'm desperate to try something with more modern handling etc, and the Striple consistently gets great reviews so I think it would be a good start point.

The only problem will be if there's not enough leg room, being 6' 2''. So I've decided that as soon as my leg is better, I'm going to go test ride one. It won't be for long distances, just Sunday fun rides more locally, as I'm not parting with the  :faz, so doesn't have to have touring levels of comfort, so I'm hopeful I'll be ok with the Triumph. I have considered it's big brother, the Speed Triple, but it seems to me the experience is just not the same, although if the Street doesn't work out, I may try one.

I don't think I'd be happy with another classic Jap right now, as it's the modern handling and performance I'm more interested in right now. I wouldn't mind a 600 Fazer as a winter hack, something I'm not worried about getting a bit dirty on days like today when the weather is good but the roads damp/wet and filthy, but this burning desire to try something newer is going to have to be sated sooner or later, so I figure why not sooner  :D

No way I'm going to look at brand new - don't want to suffer the depreciation hit that goes with that. My max budget I reckon is £5k, and will pay for whatever I get outright. And of course, another reason to get something now is to take advantage of winter prices, although it'll probably mean paying for storage for a few months next year. Sod it though, life's for living!

The only other question is, will I get something new (to me) before Noggy does?  :lol
« Last Edit: 01 December 2014, 10:21:56 pm by nick crisp »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Verging On Buying A Second Bike
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2014, 11:10:33 am »

The only other question is, will I get something new (to me) before Noggy does?  :lol

You two are about as bad as one another ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2014, 11:17:32 am »
I really like the Tuono, apart from the fugly headlight (albeit probably astounding in comparison) but it does look to have a short wheelbase, unless i'm just used to seeing my bike with a top box hanging off the end.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2014, 11:25:06 am »
Yeah, the Tuono is another I'd really like to try, but not sure I'd want to live with one (electrics?  :eek ). I figure the Striple will be a better bet on the reliability front, running costs etc, and fancy something light and flickable. Don't need another bike with litre stomp really either.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2014, 11:26:35 am »
I'm 6'1" with a 34" leg and find the Street Triple too cramped for me, otherwise I'd be riding one today. They're great bikes.
According to cycle-ergo the Speed Triple has slightly more room than the Fazer so it could well be worth trying that instead.
My Fazer's too cramped for me to use for more than 45 minutes at a time, and no matter what else I try I keep going back to a used MT-09. It's the only thing with decent speed that fits me for under £7k.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2014, 11:29:05 am »

I agree with Tuono.......i sat on one and just thought yeh this feels good straight away.

Likewise though i had a simmilar feeling with the street triple.......i really like them.....never tried one but ive heard the induction noise and it is very tasty sounding........plus they just look like a bike....i mean like a proper bike should almost......and made by the British for British proportioned people with British roads being tested on and planned for.

There was a nice looking one in bridgend the other day when i was looking at the MT's.......it looked far cooler than either MT. 8)

Again it is a bike ill consider........if it wasnt for the fact that ive just sorned the thou plus itll soon be due an MOT then id be trading it in pronto.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2014, 11:32:02 am »
Yeah, the Tuono is another I'd really like to try, but not sure I'd want to live with one (electrics?  :eek ). I figure the Striple will be a better bet on the reliability front, running costs etc, and fancy something light and flickable. Don't need another bike with litre stomp really either.

Maybe the Yamaha Bogey  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2014, 12:04:20 pm »

Don't give up yer day job just yet, eh?  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2014, 12:10:03 pm »
I'm 6'1" with a 34" leg and find the Street Triple too cramped for me, otherwise I'd be riding one today. They're great bikes.
According to cycle-ergo the Speed Triple has slightly more room than the Fazer so it could well be worth trying that instead.
My Fazer's too cramped for me to use for more than 45 minutes at a time, and no matter what else I try I keep going back to a used MT-09. It's the only thing with decent speed that fits me for under £7k.

The Fazer I can ride all day without problems. The MT09 is outside of my budget, and besides, the jury is still out as to how good they are as far as I'm concerned. The Striple is a well proven bike, I prefer the looks, and as Noggy says, would be nice to do my bit to support the Brit bike industry, although that's never been a major consideration for me before, and isn't really now. I know our biking press is likely biased when it comes to the Triumph, but owners and ex-owners all also praise it to the skies. And as I said, I don't think the Speed Triple will be the same experience, although it is currently on the radar, and if I don't get on with the Street, I may well test ride one as well.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2014, 12:11:50 pm »

Don't give up yer day job just yet, eh?  :lol

"Light and flickable".........made me chuckle.  :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2014, 06:34:39 pm »
Saw lots of them new Yamaha's today at the show, but how small is the MT-07, it looks much smaller than the MT-09
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2014, 07:05:50 pm »
I may well of brought a street tipple this year I was booked in for a test ride but the dealer wanted £500 bond which they didn't tell me about (since found out its standard practice for some) AND on top of the advertised price was an extra £50 admin fee -- how can they do this - false price advertising and was being very vague and talking in riddles and basically would not tell me how much they would give for my bike until I agreed to buy the street.
So told them I wasn't doing the test ride and was not happy about the hidden £50 and I FOC ed off for a ride on my FZS realizing I am happy with what I have.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2014, 08:39:37 pm »
I don't actually need any other bike than the Fazer, it's true, so that will be staying. So this is just about having a bit of fun, trying something newer and different, just to see how far bikes have coming in the last ten years or so. I was going to put it off til after my move next year, but I saw a Striple for sale locally, and was very tempted. Then thought, wait, you could probably get one a bit cheaper than that.
There are other bikes I would like to try too, so the idea is to ride the Triumph for a while, then perhaps trade it for something else. (I finally discarded the idea of PCP as I'm now in a position to buy outright). But I am hoping the Triumph is ok for me fit-wise, because I'm more interested in a middleweight right now than the other bikes I'd like to try; there don't seem to be many impressive middleweights about still. If I test ride one soon and it doesn't work, the whole idea will probably go on hold again until I've moved next spring. And I still want to get a late black frame/engine Fazer to tart up too.

I love the Fazer, but for me, it's not all there is to biking. I remember when I used to chop and change my bikes all the time, and it really added a lot to the biking experience. And for someone who has been riding for as long as I have, nearly ten years is a long time to go without trying something else. I'm interested in bikes, as well as enjoy riding them, if that makes sense. We had the 90s which seemed to be all about sports bikes which I couldn't ride because of my shoulder, but now manufacturers have woken up to the fact that not everyone wants a race replica, but that doesn't mean that they don't want good handling and performance - just not with the torturous riding position. So there are some interesting machines out there again now. I'd like to try a few before all these old broken joints seize up completely  :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2014, 09:02:38 pm »
I was in a similar situation to you a few months ago Nick. I had a short list of bikes I could 'fit on' (6'1" with 36" inseam).
I've ridden both the gen I, and gen II Tuono, and they're very quick bikes. Fairly comfy, and sit upright, but it's a sportsbike! The gen I has a bit more mid range, and the gen II is more linear, but better top end. It is however the only bike I've had a tankslapper on, and I sh@ myself!

I rode a speed triple 1050 and was disappointed. It was comfy, but didn't have any sparkle, and handled oddly. It was a bit like the power delivery of a vfr 750. Torquey, but bland.

Sat on a street triple , and even the salesman shook his head and said it looked like a 250 underneath me. And it was cramped.

Mt-09, well I love them. A massively different power delivery and handling experience. I'll leave that alone now or I'll cry as I can't justify buying one

As you probably know Nick Whatever you chose, make it a bit different from your Fazer, then you'll appreciate why you've stuck with it for so long.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2014, 09:05:01 pm »
Yeah, I just don't think I need another bike with as much on tap as the Fazer has. What I'm more interested in is modern handling and lighter weight. The MT09; well, I dunno. I'm not going to buy new, that's for sure. Hey, maybe even a KTM 690? Just want something for fun in twisty local roads. The Fazer takes care of everything else. Every time I ride the Fazer, I know it's a keeper.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2014, 09:08:38 pm by nick crisp »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2014, 09:14:12 pm »
I wanted to go down the KTM 990 route, they just seem expensive for what your getting.
The single cylinder s/m are awesome fun on the twisties, you don't even need an expensive one. My bro-in-law had an MZ baghera for a while. It was rapid in the twisties. and I struggled to keep up on my R1 at times with 3x the power!!!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 December 2014, 06:56:58 am »
Keep your money in the bank you fool !!!!! :lol

It will make sense in a while,,no need for another bike yet,,the one you got is fine.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 December 2014, 10:45:18 am »
Keep your money in the bank you fool !!!!! :lol

It will make sense in a while,,no need for another bike yet,,the one you got is fine.

Noooo!! Got money, have to spend it all as fast as possible  :b   :lol

Gotta treat yourself once in a while Bill. This won't break the bank  :D

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 December 2014, 11:08:04 am »
Whats that quote---
I won 1 million and spent the lot, mostly on fast bikes and women ------ the rest I wasted

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 December 2014, 11:47:18 am »
Nick, if you want modern handling and light weight, for your budget you could quite easily get a decent sports bike and put flat bars/dropped pegs on it?

Although if you really weren't that bothered about power (i'm more of the frame of mind of I'd rather have it and not use it all than not have it - but that's personal) then I'd definitely recommend the Street Triple R. Street Triple is brilliant anyway, but the brakes and suspension on the R are that bit better!

Either that or maybe a Tuono (but that's liter power), or possibly some kind of supermoto?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 December 2014, 12:10:00 pm »
I cant remember exactly which models I think up until 2012 or 13 but the street dose not have a fuel gauge --- only a low fuel warning -- crap!!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 December 2014, 12:29:35 pm »
I had thought about the modded sports bike option Joe, and it's on the list of things I'd like to try (but we all have those big wish lists, don't we  :lol ), but the Striple has, for me, become an iconic bike, a true stand-out model, that I'd really like to try. I think probably I won't be able to get on with it's tiny size and leg position, but of course I won't know until I try one. I will get a test ride first to check this. If that proves ok, then I think I'll probably go for one. Have it for a year or two, then trade for something else that appeals. This is something I've been thinking about for some time now, having a second bike that I can swap and change whilst keeping the Fazer as my main ride.

I've heard a lot about the comparison between brakes and suspension on the standard Striple as compared to the R. Whilst I'd prefer the later models (squint-eye as opposed to round), the R in that case will probably be outside of my budget, so I'm inclining towards a round-eye R at the moment. Although, having said that, I've found this one, which is nice and local to me:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/triumph/street-triple-r/7630957/

A bit over my budget really, but might be able to talk the price down a little, or might decide it's worth paying a little more for a good one.

I really don't think there is another bike to compare to the Striple, apart from the MT09, and I'm not interested in buying brand new, and besides, it's too early to say if it's really that good I think. Yes, test ride reports seem promising, but a brief blat isn't enough to say if it's really going to make an impact. Plus, they seem to have put budget suspension on it, which doesn't help. Maybe in a few years time if they update things like this, and there are a few 2nd hand ones around, I might look at one, but not now. Z800? Still too new, again, jury's out. It'll have a lot to do to beat the Striple, which has a firmly established reputation and consistently rates good reviews by both the biking press, and more importantly, by owners.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 December 2014, 01:29:27 pm »
Excellent....it is settled.......Nick will get a street triple r.....use it for 6 months.....& then sell it to me :)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 December 2014, 01:52:11 pm »
Don't hold your breath Noggy. No guarantees that I can make myself fit one yet! I'll be gutted if I can't, cos once in a while a bike comes along that everybody should try, and I think the Striple is one of them.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 December 2014, 02:10:44 pm »
A single cyl supermoto is something everyone should try once ..... mad as a box of frogs and defo a 2nd bike  :lol
Its just a ride