Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:37 pm

Author Topic: Bike wobble out of corners/with speed  (Read 3551 times)

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Bike wobble out of corners/with speed
« on: 31 October 2014, 08:11:11 pm »
I've had this for a while now, but finally decided I need to get it sorted! If I hit a bump mid corner, the bike gets a lovely (read; scary) wobble on when travelling at a reasonable speed. Even worse is that if you get to around 100 leptons and are accelerating but not gripping the tank hard with your leg, it also gets a big wobble.

I've just had the front wheel rebalanced, and that hasn't helped. A little while ago I changed swingarm and fitting new bearings, that didn't fix it (but my new swingarm is powdercoated black, so that's a plus!)

Has anyone got any suggestions? I only weigh 60kg's and it's better with more weight, but my old one didn't do it.
Thanks

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Bike wobble out of corners/with speed
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2014, 08:45:14 pm »
Hey papercut

My bike knowledge is limited but i do like a good ol shoot from the hip guess........well it is a forum after all aint it he he. :lol

Anyway i was just about to throw out my best "feeling the force" guess but then i thought hang on a minute :think

Which part is getting a wobble on?.......is it the front end, the rear end......or have you got a big fat moma riding pillion with her ass cheeks getting a wobble on? :b

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2014, 09:12:30 pm »
What's the mileage?
Ever done anything with the rear shock?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2014, 09:43:42 pm »
What bike is it your on?
If it's a 600, then some of them do that. I've had 3, and 2 of them have had shaky heads.

There's loads of little things it could be.
Worn tyre (front or back),
Knackered wheel bearing,
Back wheel out of line,
Worn fork (low oil, snapped spring?)
Swing arm/link bushes,
Buggered shock.

It's trial and error to find it.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2014, 07:37:55 am »
Mine does the same. At low speed with fingers just raised off the bar, the bar wobbles left to right with increasing oscillation.  I Raised similar questions when I first got the fzs600. Lots of foccers reported sane thing.  There is even an article on it in hotpoop. I too have had the balance done up front and full checks at the mechanics. I just live with it now but it is the only characteristic that puts me off these models
« Last Edit: 01 November 2014, 09:27:04 am by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2014, 09:25:56 am »
This sounds worse than the normal little bit of front wheel wobble. Could be the head stock bearings

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2014, 09:39:45 am »
This sounds worse than the normal little bit of front wheel wobble. Could be the head stock bearings

When the oil leaked out of my rear shock the bike was going round corners with just the shock spring supporting me and the bike.
Proper wobbles.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2014, 09:42:04 am »
Mine does the same. At low speed with fingers just raised off the bar, the bar wobbles left to right with increasing oscillation.  I Raised similar questions when I first got the fzs600. Lots of foccers reported sane thing.  There is even an article on it in hotpoop. I too have had the balance done up front and full checks at the mechanics. I just live with it now but it is the only characteristic that puts me off these models

Are you sure it's not just you?
You've had an off at 10mph and also managed to wreck your indicators parking between 2 bikes!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2014, 09:57:04 am »

When the oil leaked out of my rear shock the bike was going round corners with just the shock spring supporting me and the bike.
Proper wobbles.

Scary stuff. That's the sort of thing that causes crashes

scoobie_paws

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2014, 10:05:11 am »
Sounds like rear shock damping away to me. Had same thing on mine, especially when accelerating hard up hill,whole thing would shoogle about and was a bit scary.replaced rear shock (r6 from kebab) and is soooo much better. Also changed fork oil and that gave some much needed damping to the  front too

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2014, 10:19:23 am »

Proper wobbles.

It felt like the rear tyre was sliding momentarily on bends, and i would immediately adjust steering to compensate, as if i was riding a speedway bike.
Used to wake me up in the mornings though.  :lol

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2014, 08:00:56 pm »

Proper wobbles.

It felt like the rear tyre was sliding momentarily on bends, and i would immediately adjust steering to compensate, as if i was riding a speedway bike.

I had this a couple of weeks ago, only I'd also get wheelspin when accelerating. I concluded I rode through some oil or similar on my journey home at night, it was terrifying! Normal speed down to a max of 50mph...

stevierst, it's a 600. Regarding your points:
The front tyre is nearly new. The rear tyre was replaced a few thousand miles back, and is getting slightly flat in the middle, but it did it before too.
Shouldn't be, just had it MOT'd (non-dodgy) and no comments were made on them.
Again, shouldn't be. Wobbled before I changed the swingarm, and before the new chain, and it's definitely been realigned. Not needed adjusting since I got a working scottoiler either.
The front forks failed MOT due to being too stiff, took a little oil out of each. Wobble both before and after.
Swing arm and link bushes mostly new.

I guess I might have a buggered shock. Seemed OK when I removed it, but didn't check in detail, I might play with the preload and see if anything changes.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2014, 08:04:18 pm »

Are you sure it's not just you?
You've had an off at 10mph and also managed to wreck your indicators parking between 2 bikes!
:rollin
And this is just on a fiz that i've had for about a year. Countless other bikes and woes
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2014, 09:25:09 pm »

Proper wobbles.

I had this a couple of weeks ago, only I'd also get wheelspin when accelerating. I concluded I rode through some oil or similar on my journey home at night, it was terrifying! Normal speed down to a max of 50mph...

stevierst, it's a 600. Regarding your points:
The front tyre is nearly new. The rear tyre was replaced a few thousand miles back, and is getting slightly flat in the middle, but it did it before too.
Shouldn't be, just had it MOT'd (non-dodgy) and no comments were made on them.
Again, shouldn't be. Wobbled before I changed the swingarm, and before the new chain, and it's definitely been realigned. Not needed adjusting since I got a working scottoiler either.
The front forks failed MOT due to being too stiff, took a little oil out of each. Wobble both before and after.
Swing arm and link bushes mostly new.

I guess I might have a buggered shock. Seemed OK when I removed it, but didn't check in detail, I might play with the preload and see if anything changes.

The general consensus on here is that they tend to last around 20,000 miles before needing some sort of attention, or replacing.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2014, 12:38:38 pm »
The bike is on about 27k now, so that might be a partial explanation.

I adjusted the rear spring so it's not at full preload, it's 3 clicks down (middle) now, and that has helped!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 November 2014, 02:23:33 pm »
The bike is on about 27k now, so that might be a partial explanation.

I adjusted the rear spring so it's not at full preload, it's 3 clicks down (middle) now, and that has helped!

It's not really gonna sort it though mate if the dampings gone. They're not a great shock to start with, and at 27k it won't be anywhere near where it started!

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #16 on: 10 November 2014, 08:11:08 pm »
Maybe stating obvious, but I presume your tyre pressures are good? Also as your pretty light weight, you may find manual specified pressures a spot high, which can cause some skittish behaviour.

Rear shock maybe more likely, but check the cheap and easy stuff first.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 November 2014, 09:12:39 pm »
My Mrs had the same problem on her FZ6. She said the rear just didnt feel planted. We tried adjusting the shock and dropping the front forks and bought a lowering kit for it but u know what sorted it....Lipo Suction
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 November 2014, 10:31:55 pm »
My Mrs had the same problem on her FZ6. She said the rear just didnt feel planted. We tried adjusting the shock and dropping the front forks and bought a lowering kit for it but u know what sorted it....Lipo Suction

But I've got nothing to lose! :p

Thanks guys, Arfa - they're already slightly lower, 34-38 maybe?