Date: 14-06-24  Time: 21:32 pm

Author Topic: FZ6 won't start  (Read 7226 times)

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
FZ6 won't start
« on: 12 October 2014, 05:38:56 pm »
I wonder if anybody else has had this problem..
Fixed a wiring fault which caused hi temp and no fuel priming and thought all was well until it came to starting it. It does fire but only if you turn it over with fully open throttle for a few seconds then turn it over with throttle closed. It won't rev and won't start again. Its like the injectors are not getting the correct info about how much they should be fuelling the engine.
Throttle position sensor has been checked and set, crank sensor as well.
Any ideas?? Spend a day looking and testing but getting nowhere!
Cheers,
Steve.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: FZ6 won't start
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2014, 06:32:57 pm »
What was the actual wiring fault? It may be connected (excuse the pun) to your problem

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 07:07:44 pm »
It was a small connector block which 4 black/white wires go in and are connected using a 4 pin bar. This now works as it should. I have done continuity tests on all wires so I can only put it down to either ECU or the fuelling relay.
Man its annoying!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2014, 09:00:46 pm »
Did you do the continuity test with a meter?
What year is you FZ?
Are the clocks working correctly?

Looking at the wiring diagram black/white are earth wires and mostly likely the connector was supplying one of the earths to the ECU.

ECU has appears to have 2 earths on the 2006 models and 3 earths on the 2007 model. Both models have one black/white wire earthed.
Check the ECU has an earth on its black/white wire.

If it does not have a zero ohm earth on the Black/white wire to the ECU earth it and try starting the bike again.

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2014, 09:14:35 pm »
Its a 2004, no O2 sensor. Clocks now work correctly so will be looking at a faulty earth somewhere. I will try earthing the black/white to ECU and see what happens.
I love a challenge but this is becoming too challenging!

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2014, 05:48:55 pm »
Right, tried all continuity tests and earth test on black/white wires and all good.
Im going to chance it and buy a set of second hand relays including starting circuit cut off relay. I really cant see it being anything else...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2014, 08:19:15 pm »
Refresh as to what is happening

Ignition On
Does check sequence work?
Does starter turn the engine over?

Do you have the wiring diagram?
The starting circuit cut out relay is easily tested
« Last Edit: 13 October 2014, 10:14:46 pm by unfazed »

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2014, 08:15:56 am »
Everything works as it should. No fault codes, engine turns over, clocks do what they should, engine is firing...
All earths are earthed. All connector blocks are clean and connecting. No corrosion in ECU connector. The original loom was buggered along with the clocks so the owner bought new loom from a breakers which was seen working on the donor bike before being removed.
I can get it firing with brake cleaner squirted through inlets and injectors are squirting but only on full throttle.
Crank and throttle position sensors working fine and set correctly.
I have manual for this bike and have gone over all the trouble shooting pages checking all connections.
A lot of head scratching going on...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2014, 05:03:56 pm »
As you have seen from the wiring diagram there are 2 relays in the starter Cut out relay box and both are powered buy the kill switch.

Engine turning over rules out the starting circuit and the kill switch.
Check the fuel pump relay by switching on the ignition and turn on the kill switch disconnect the connector to the fuel pump and you should have battery voltage on the red/blue wire. Check the power also on the Red/Blue wire at the injectors and the ECU as this relay supplies power to all these on the red/blue wire.
If you have full battery voltage (might be a volt less) this rules out the Starter cut out relay. :)

Switching the kill switch to off cuts power to the starter circuit, fuel pump, injectors and ECU.

If all of the above is ok then it is pointing to a dodgy ECU.  :'(

It is possible that the faulty earth you had on the black/white wires could have damaged the ECU by the internal circuitry trying to find an earth though a different circuit.

You would have probably seen this often on cars with bad earths and brake light flashing with indicators. Whereas it does not do any harm in that case, in electronic circuits it can be detrimental. :eek

If you are satisfied all the earths to the ECU  are intact (vital) and the Starter cut relay is working then I would be looking for a replacement ECU or trying your ECU on another Bike.

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2014, 06:19:11 pm »
Cheers  :)
Im normally pretty good with wiring problems but this one has me foxed. Left it alone today before I go totally bald...
Fresh mind tomorrow and will crack on in the morning and let you know my findings.
Thanks again pal!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2014, 09:15:37 am »
Forgot to add in last post, don't forget to check that the pump is actually working :)

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2014, 11:00:28 am »
Yeah, it primes! I took fuel pipe off from rail and it squirts out with plenty of pressure. I wish it was that simple  :'(

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2014, 05:37:59 pm »
Right, finally had the chance to look at the FZS again yesterday. I have eliminated any wiring faults so started looking at reasons why it will run when sprayed with brake cleaner through inlets but not with the injectors.
I took rocker cover off to see if cam timing is out of been set up wrong. Low and behold the cams were in the wrong places  :b somebodies had a mess!
Swapped them round and timed it up to manual... Still no joy  :'(
I've been looking at timing instructions and when marks are all aligned it shows the outline of a lobe on both cams at the 10 to 2 angles. I assumed this was the first lobe after the sprocket but watching an R6 engine being built the bloke says it refers to the lobes at the far end of cams. Can any body confirm this?
« Last Edit: 23 October 2014, 07:28:24 pm by ste131 »

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2014, 09:33:43 am »
Picture hopefully added..

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 November 2014, 10:05:14 am »
Fixed it!
I came to the conclusion after hours of checking for a wiring fault having been assured the fuel pump was working fine that it was time to check fuel delivery..
I disconnected the fuel line, filled it with petrol and using my compressor (turned down to 36psi) inserted the blow gun nozzle in the end. She fired up fine.
I then took fuel pump out and somebody had put an o ring in the wrong place so pressure couldn't be maintained.