Date: 01-06-24  Time: 19:25 pm

Author Topic: anyone recommend HVLP system?  (Read 3587 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
anyone recommend HVLP system?
« on: 06 October 2014, 05:35:12 pm »
Had a quote for £250+VAT to repair, prime and respray my nose fairing + the other plastics. Well, had a few quotes but that was cheapest/nearest.

Have been looking at doing the job myself and what it might cost in capital outlay;  I have this bike and another that I could bring back to life in terms of paint job, and I suppose the garden fence needs painting and the hose room doors could come off too for a lick. seen these "mobile" HVLP systems; quite a few on the market but has anyone actually used one and can they please provide feedback on their experience particularly in spraying motorcycle parts.

Three lefts make a right

72 chamb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: anyone recommend HVLP system?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2014, 06:40:36 pm »
New one painted and no stickers are £170.yamaha dealer..i understand deefer fixes them as well

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2014, 07:16:35 pm »
That was a dealer;

The network is a franchise so this might explain variances in QoS , prices etc.
If you wanna bring standards up and prices down, set up your own centre ... http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/dealerprospects/requirements
Even at £170 I could buy a HVLP system but not sure if it would suffice , hence this post.

something like these...
http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=6
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bambi-Apollo-SprayMaster-1200-HVLP-Spray-System-240V-/181549451949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4530caad

??
« Last Edit: 06 October 2014, 07:41:25 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2014, 11:20:50 am »
I have not got any experience of HVLP, but my understanding is that it is more efficient at putting the paint on the surface than into the air and as overspray. For how much you are likely to do and the value of wasted paint I would prefer to go for a compressor and then you have the advantage of being able to run other air tools aswell.
I have one similar to this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhyas-High-Capacity-50L-Air-Compressor-9-5CFM-2-5HP-230V-115psi-Workshop-Kit-/321511419442?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item4adb92ee32#ht_2759wt_1949

Had it over 15 years, got it for stripping and crimping wires, but would not want to be without it now

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2014, 12:29:35 pm »
Painting is a fairly skilled job. Takes a good bit of practice to get a good finish. There's a good chance you'd make a dog's dinner out of it if you haven't done it before.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2014, 12:52:18 pm »
which is why I want to practice with HVLP

the HVLP - obviously as it is in the name - put out high volumes of air . SOme of the Fuji systems (£300) can put out 120CFM; so the volume is there, but whether they would drive air tools - I dont know. Anyway, I have plenty of electic tools and so no need (or expense) to switch to air. So its just painting.

If anyone has any practical actual experience of using HVLP I would be grateful for some feedback.
Three lefts make a right

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2014, 05:21:09 pm »
which is why I want to practice with HVLP

the HVLP - obviously as it is in the name - put out high volumes of air . SOme of the Fuji systems (£300) can put out 120CFM; so the volume is there, but whether they would drive air tools - I dont know. Anyway, I have plenty of electic tools and so no need (or expense) to switch to air. So its just painting.

If anyone has any practical actual experience of using HVLP I would be grateful for some feedback.

120 cfm... are you sure???

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2014, 05:36:10 pm »
http://www.paintsprayerslv.com/HVLP%27S/hvlp_sprayers.htm

USA but I had a link to uk suppliers of the Apollo 3, 115cfm £300
Three lefts make a right

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2014, 07:48:58 pm »
^^^That's insane lol!^^^

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2014, 07:53:48 pm »
Deefer666 does proper plastic welding repairs (no crappy fibreglass!) and has access to a professional spray shop. Less of a headache to take you bike to him. He's between Kettering and Huntingdon (on the A14).
The Deef's apprentice

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2014, 09:21:37 pm »
You can get great results with rattle cans cheaply, you can even get 2k clear coat in them. If your only doing bits for one bike I wouldn't bother getting a hvlp setup
Intentionally left blank

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2014, 09:52:10 pm »
Guys, these replies are kind, thank you, but they are not answering the OP , I don't want to come across ungrateful but,well, just replies from someone who has used HVLP would be great. I'm past the shall i or shall i not stage.
Ive made a decision and just looking for experiences with a system. Thanks
« Last Edit: 10 October 2014, 07:48:17 am by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2014, 10:57:52 pm »
I have a few hvlp guns, although I run mine via a compressor not those system ones your looking at..

They offer good control and produce a nice finish with the plus side of being able to see what I am doing!, as I spray at home in the shed with no extraction so the lack of heavy overspray is handy..

If I were you (  I love tools ) I would buy one of those systems, looks very useful..

At the end of the day putting the paint on aint that hard, getting the prep right is where its at...

One thing to take into account is the shocking price of 2k paints, but once you have stocked up on your primers and clearcoat which is better to buy in bulk, you just get enough colour for the job and most proper paint suppliers do it in as little as 100ml...

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2014, 09:11:25 am »
Aye HVLP is good, but like wezdavo I run off a compressor not a self contained system.

My mate has one, seems ok and offers the same experience as mine with a compressor.  The only difference really is that I can use my compressor for other things whereas he can't due to various water filters etc being non removable.
Intentionally left blank

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 October 2014, 02:59:23 pm »
Thanks for the experiences
You have confirmed what I thought. The volume is there for jobs like spraying, but not the pressure for jobs like air tools , then again I have a large kit of hand tools that are great.
Three lefts make a right