Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:54 pm

Author Topic: renthal bar query  (Read 6047 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
renthal bar query
« on: 01 October 2014, 08:07:48 am »
Yeah, lots of topics on this probably but just wanted to canvass current views... I need a a new bar and read these but have a question:
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=779.0
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=10631.0

1. on the gen1 fizzy, I quite like the height of the OEM bar, note that these 758s are "ultra low" - never seen any in-situ, so question is whether these are the same-ish height of the OEM bar or whether there is another alternative more suitable, than the OEM?

2. Also, after filing down the lugs , what have people used to get a grip on the switch gear - I do not want to drill holes

3. Where did you get bar ends from (online - perhaps a link plz?  ;) )

TIA

Three lefts make a right

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: renthal bar query
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2014, 08:53:31 am »
I believe the 758's are similar in shape/size as standard apart from less sweep, which is in my eyes much better. And they get rid of that nasty chrome!

When I've fitted them, I file the lugs of the switch gear down so they're just proud of the housings. This helps with them gripping on the bars. I've used electrical tape, zinc oxide tape, and alamlgamating tape to wrap round the bars, zinc or alamlgamating tape worked the best.

Bar ends, there are plenty of them out there, just make sure you get the 13mm fittings, as Renthals are thick walled.

Enjoy your new bars bud 8)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2014, 09:40:46 am »
Exactly the info I was after Stevie. Great one fella. Cheers
Three lefts make a right

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2014, 01:58:03 pm »
back again, sorry...which one of these is a direct fit for Gen1 (i.e. without having to cut anything)

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/handlebars/renthal-superbike-ultra-low-bars

they are listing (i guess its ultra-low foccers go for?)

(A) = Width, (B) = Height, (C) = Rise, (D) = Width, (E) = Sweep
  • Superbike Flat - (A) 724mm, (B) 0mm, (C) 0mm, (D) 215mm, (E) 60mm
  • Superbike Ultra Low - (A) 733mm, (B) 75mm, (C) 42mm, (D) 110mm. (E) 94mm
  • Superbike Low - (A) 737mm, (B) 105mm, (C) 63mm, (D) 105mm, (E) 122mm
  • Superbike Med - (A) 732mm, (B) 117mm, (C) 78mm, (D) 105mm, (E) 105mm
  • Superbike High - (A) 716mm, (B) 119mm, (C) 96mm, (D) 105mm, (E) 103mm
by the way, I like the height of the OEM, and actually would like them just a tad higher (short arms), so are ultra-low really the right ones for me ?? is there a better option above?

Also, bar ends, can I use OEM or do we feel it is better on this bike to upgrade to ...
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/bar-end-weights/renthal-bar-end-plugs
« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 08:18:24 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2014, 03:02:23 pm »
As stevie says the standard bar end weights wont fit inside the Renthal bars......i got the Renthal annodised plugs & i liked them but beware they are not strictly weights....hence they call them plugs.........some folk moan about every little vibration so plugs maybe aint for them but my personal experience was that the plugs looked good & i didnt get any dodgy vibrations through the bars.

The 758's are a nice bar...i'd forget about the name ultra low..they arent that much different to standard imo.....just nice...& wide.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2014, 05:39:06 pm »
I also have 758s on mine, they're a good approximation of the originals.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2014, 05:46:11 pm »
You can use the OEM bar weights in renthal bars, I have done on mine, but it requires a bit of DIY. You need to use an expending rawl plug, I think it was M6 in size but I can't remember, they're used for masonry I think and can be bought in B&Q for a few £. You also need a couple of long bolts about 100mm to fit through the bar end and still have enough thread to expand the rawl plug, I also picked these up at B&Q and went for a rounded head which didn't quite fit in the recess of the OEM weight like the original bolts but still looked fine.

When you put the bars on and come to the final stages of grips and bar end weights, make sure the grips are slightly past the ends of the Renthals so about 1-2mm overlapping the end as the recessed part of the OEM weight doesn't quite fit inside the renthals and looks weird unless the grips are there to cover the overlap. Before putting the grips on, offer up the bar end weight to the bar and you will see the approximate overlap needed before you install the grips.

To install the OEM weights, put the rawl plug and weight together and the bolt through them then tighten the bolt up enough that when you insert the rawl plug into the renthal there is a bit of resistance. This makes it a lot easier to tighten. Then, when you're happy tighten the bolt up as hard as you can, you can also spin the weight to tighten it further. They may have a tiny but of movement if you try to very hard spin them the other way after installing, but as long as you keep an eye on them they should be fine mine have been for about 2500 miles now. I wanted to use the OEM because I like that they have some weight to them unlike the old Renthal bar weights I bought for my GS500 a few years ago that were garbage anodised crap that weighed nothing. Hope this helps, there's also a video on youtube of this idea somewhere if you need further info, type in delboys garage bar end weights and it should probably come up. Thats where I got the idea  :)  I have the 789 I think it is, or "streetfighter" bar which I love but I don't think the fairing allows them to be fitted as they are too wide and the master cylinder or something fowls the fairing which I no longer have on my bike.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 05:51:27 pm by Yamazer-92 »

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2014, 05:53:13 pm »
I also modded some bar end weights.

I used some cheap Oxford bar ends as a base as they come with fittings for standard and renthal bar interior diameters. Also: They're metal and not crappy rubber fittings.

I drilled out the new bar end centres (on a pillar drill, taking care to withdraw the drill bit to evacuate chippings regularly) to take the correct diameter bolt (not the included ones with the oxfords) and fitted it all together. Worked really well and made a huge difference in vibration.

Link to bar ends.
Worth it just for the fittings.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2014, 06:35:59 pm »
thanks guys - but I have a limited toolikit so as much and as exciting as it sounds, I wont be pissing around drilling bar ends or modding stuff , not this time - I just need to get the bike on the road and quickly as I'm loosing money.

Yes, I am just seeking a bar with bar end - weights not rubbers - that fit together.  Going to go for 758 but would like to reuse the bar ends - I like the rawlplug idea but surely plastic rawplugs aint going to hold the bar ends in ?? got a pic of the rawplugs ?

« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 06:53:29 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2014, 06:58:13 pm »
From my experience going to B&Q and picking this stuff up and fitting is far quicker than ordering some bar end "weights" online and waiting however many days for them to be delivered. It's not pissing about really and the only tool you need is a screwdriver depending on the bolt you decide to go for. Takes minutes once all parts are purchased and cost me under a tenner I think. If you do want to just buy some that are definite screw in and fit no hassle then I would suggest the R&G bar weights, they're expensive @ £20 odd but apparently they're the best after market you can get and do actually have some weight to them unlike the Renthal ones you linked previously. 

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2014, 07:41:09 pm »
From my experience going to B&Q and picking this stuff up and fitting is far quicker than ordering some bar end "weights" online and waiting however many days for them to be delivered. It's not pissing about really and the only tool you need is a screwdriver depending on the bolt you decide to go for. Takes minutes once all parts are purchased and cost me under a tenner I think. If you do want to just buy some that are definite screw in and fit no hassle then I would suggest the R&G bar weights, they're expensive @ £20 odd but apparently they're the best after market you can get and do actually have some weight to them unlike the Renthal ones you linked previously.
my mistake, I thought you had written drilling; didnt read properly. which rawplugs are you using - surely not the red/brown type for brick walls??
Three lefts make a right

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2014, 07:48:58 pm »

...Hope this helps, there's also a video on youtube of this idea somewhere if you need further info, type in delboys garage bar end weights and it should probably come up....

scratch the posts...I've found it here

Delboy's Garage, Renthal Bars, Bar End Weights Ghetto fix.

:lol thanks mate

So 758s ordered  with new medium grips - and those metal rawplugs , I already have some of these  8)

cheers guys

what was confusing me by the way, was different vendors quoting different rise sizes for what is supposed to be the same product. ranges from 37 to 50mm rise. I ended up buying these for anyone who is interested in future
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Renthal-Ultra-Low-Bar-Handlebar-Road-Sports-Universal-Handlebars-Black-/301325156103?

« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 09:39:27 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right