Date: 16-06-24  Time: 02:29 am

Author Topic: what to look out for on a 4 yr garaged fzs  (Read 3594 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
what to look out for on a 4 yr garaged fzs
« on: 01 September 2014, 09:41:36 pm »
going to my pal's tomorrow to look at his fazer 600 which belonged to his deceased Dad. My pal now wants to sell the bike but it wont start. I've tested the battery and its dead so ordered a new battery. What can I expect in terms of starting/turnover problems?? All I know is that it has been garaged and not fired up for 4 years and has about 1 litre of petrol in the tank by the sounds of it - I'm told the petrol has been in there for the same amount of time.

??
Three lefts make a right

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: what to look out for on a 4 yr garaged fzs
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2014, 12:00:02 am »
Sython old fuel out of tank put some fresh in,it will run rough to start with as old fuel in carbs but once the new gets through it should improve,if you purchase the bike I would recomend some of this added to a small amount of fuel to clean inside of carbs,it may save the hassle of stripping them down.It's not just for lawnmowers I've been using it for years with no problems (don't use Redex). :)
   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRIGGS-STRATTON-PETROL-STABILIZER-FUEL-FIT-ADDITIVE-with-measuring-cap-/181510491282?pt=UK_Lawnmower_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a42de4c92

wth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2014, 08:01:37 am »
(don't use Redex). :)

Why not? It's what I've used, successfully, to cure lumpy idling / refusing to idle, when the bike has been stood too long...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2014, 09:14:12 am »
STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner, half a bottle per full tank of fuel.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2014, 09:29:55 am »
The cost of these fuel 'treatments' is crazy.

You're better off replacing with fresh fuel as it will work out cheaper.

Fill it with super unleaded and you'll be fine. The reason super is more expensive is the higher octane rating and additional additives to protect the fuel, rendering this stuff pointless.

Redex is fine as an additive, but is just a thin oil for lubrication of the engine head.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2014, 09:58:43 am »
It's not about treating the fuel, it's about cleaning the carbs, and in particular the idle jets. There's bog all wrong with the fuel, the bike runs perfectly fine with the original fuel, once that bit of cleaning has been done.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2014, 10:04:24 am »
It's not about treating the fuel, it's about cleaning the carbs, and in particular the idle jets. There's bog all wrong with the fuel, the bike runs perfectly fine with the original fuel, once that bit of cleaning has been done.
Good to know, very pleased for you, anyway I'm referring to the OPs bike and fuel.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2014, 10:13:26 am »
Yeah, so was I. What's your point?

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2014, 12:16:17 pm »
You said the bike runs fine and the fuel is fine, the OP hasn't even started it and the fuels 4 years old.

Not quite related is it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2014, 12:19:42 pm »
It'll probably start with the new battery. Might not run 100% but it should start. I'd check the tank for rust and check the oil before trying to start it. The brake fluid will have to be changed too and the tyres are probably old and will need to be replaced. If you're keeping it I'd take the carbs off and clean them and change the plugs, oil and filter, air filter, then grease everything that needs grease, give the calipers a clean. Basically give it a good service.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2014, 12:30:00 pm »

You said the bike runs fine and the fuel is fine, the OP hasn't even started it and the fuels 4 years old.

Not quite related is it.

Go back and read the whole post.  I said, "it runs fine once that bit of cleaning is done" . Prior to that, lumpy idling is often present, symptomatic of fuel evaporating and leaving junk in the carbs.

The redex (or other cleaners as suggested) helps clean that crap out, and it runs sweet again. New fuel won't do that cleaning.

So yes, it's very related to the op questioning what he should do.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2014, 12:41:29 pm »
Redex is simply an upper head lubricant.

Won't do any harm, but why not just replace the fuel completely. That 4 year old stuff will be low in octane now and no amount of redex will fix that.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2014, 12:41:47 pm »
Cheers fellas. I did have to put redex into my own carb fazer to help out with idling, one the white smoke stopped coming out, it's sweet as a nut. High octane unleaded had no effect !
Three lefts make a right

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2014, 12:47:00 pm »
You must be looking at a different redex to me. It's a fuel system cleaner!

New fuel won't help clean the residue from the evaporated fuel that is in the carbs.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 September 2014, 01:36:11 pm »
It's touted as a cleaner but check the contents, it's just based on light oils.

I use it myself in a classic motor for upper lubrication, good stuff so I'm not knocking it, just not needed in modern engibes IMO.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 September 2014, 01:49:57 pm »
Well it works, as I've described above. I wouldn't use it if the bike was used regularly, and indeed I only put it in if the idling is an issue - which is only if the bike has stood for at least 6 months. Half a bottle, for a full tank of fuel, and 15-20 mins of riding, idling issue gone. And I've never had to throw fuel away, or buy the high octane stuff

It does what it says on the bottle, regardless of whether it's light oils (which isn't really a surprise) or magic juice.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 September 2014, 01:52:59 pm »
To respond to someone else's post, yeah maybe it is expensive (although 5.49 a bottle on hakfrauds isn't the end of the world, to get 2 treatments) - but how much is your time worth, stripping carbs down to clean them (or even just siphoning off fuel to throw it away), when you don't necessarily need to?

Sounds cheap to me.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 September 2014, 09:10:06 pm »
It'll probably start with the new battery. Might not run 100% but it should start. I'd check the tank for rust and check the oil before trying to start it. The brake fluid will have to be changed too and the tyres are probably old and will need to be replaced. If you're keeping it I'd take the carbs off and clean them and change the plugs, oil and filter, air filter, then grease everything that needs grease, give the calipers a clean. Basically give it a good service.
cheers mate; I plan to sell it.

how do I check for tank rust - I'm shining a torch in and can see any but this does not necessarily mean it isnt rusty ??

new plugs, filters and oil at the ready.

dont want to get into dismantling the carbs if I can avoid it so will drop redex in first and see what happens.

brakes seem to work ok but will change and bleed as the fluid has been in there some years - good tip - thanks

Cheers

Three lefts make a right

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2014, 12:04:56 am »
cheers mate; I plan to sell it.

how do I check for tank rust - I'm shining a torch in and can see any but this does not necessarily mean it isnt rusty ??

new plugs, filters and oil at the ready.

dont want to get into dismantling the carbs if I can avoid it so will drop redex in first and see what happens.

brakes seem to work ok but will change and bleed as the fluid has been in there some years - good tip - thanks

Cheers

You could check the fuel filter on it to see if it's gone a rusty colour. Take the tank off and slosh some new petrol around it and drain it out. Check if it's rusty. If it's not you should be fine. A new fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea, they're only a few quid. If don't want to take the carbs off the fuel cleaner should do a good enough job. If you are taking them off there's a workshop manual in the download section. Brake fluid absorbs water over time so it'll have to be changed and the calipers will definitely need to be cleaned or they'll start sticking. The rear one especially. Have a look at the date stamp on the tyres but they're probably due a change now.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2014, 12:59:26 am »
thanks mate. I've ordered a fuel filter as it looks brown but not rusty. fuel came out of the filter but not grit or metal bits from the inlet side so ok. fuel looks foobared though so I'm just converting the wife's home wine kit to a syphon tool with tap  :lol
Three lefts make a right