Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:22 pm

Author Topic: recommend polishing kit for steel and alloys  (Read 1354 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
recommend polishing kit for steel and alloys
« on: 31 August 2014, 10:44:56 pm »
Can someone please provide a link to a kit they have actually used, to clean and polish all its alloys and steel, on mi bike...levers,links,pegs etc

Thinking of a dremel or is this too small? would I be better off using a normal drill polish kit. Could I even get away without tool based cleaning and use some fan dangy super good cleaning fluids / compounds and rags/cloths

The steel is dark and black pits and blemishes. In some cases slightly rusty

The alloy is clean but dull with white marks/pitting/blemishes

i have looked on you tube and Google and different people swear by their methods but I could not find an article, on bikes, specific to cleaning and polishing old steel and alloy using products I can buy locally or easily (eBay uk)

Please could you impart your own experience as to what has worked for you

« Last Edit: 01 September 2014, 01:25:40 am by MC680x0 »
Three lefts make a right

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: recommend polishing kit for steel and alloys
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2014, 02:03:25 pm »
This guy does a great job polishing wheels/bits and sells gear for it too:
http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/94097/wheel-polishing

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2014, 03:10:29 pm »
Cheers mate alas i Didn't see any links to a uk site or any products or how to use them??
Three lefts make a right

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2014, 05:02:39 pm »
It appears he's gone off the grid, I hadn't checked the end of the thread.

He was selling Silverline stuff, so you might want to check for that. Also, there's a lot of details in the thread for tips and equipment if you take your take the time to read through.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2014, 05:29:40 pm »
Thanks. I went to page 4 and found nothing so gave up. Cheers but ideally I'm looking for something more 101 ? Hence I came here. Cheers anyway and thanks for the link
« Last Edit: 01 September 2014, 05:30:27 pm by MC680x0 »
Three lefts make a right

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2014, 05:35:41 pm »
Politely wondering... Do you good foccers have any requested  experience and knowledge they can impart please
« Last Edit: 01 September 2014, 05:42:38 pm by MC680x0 »
Three lefts make a right

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2014, 07:51:15 pm »
In that case:

I've polished various things in my life, if you've got pitting, you've got a lot of work ahead of you. Either you want to get something like chemical metal to fill it, which you then sand/grind down, or if you don't fill it you have a LOT of material to take off, and it'll be uneven afterwards. (the filling method is also good for things like kerbed wheels on cars)
Sandpaper - work your way through the grades. When you get to 1200+ then use a polishing wheel on a drill or dremel. I've used plain old t-cut quite successfully a few times.

Nothing wrong with grinding down using a drill or dremel with correct pieces attached though. Depends on scale, you can choose that.

Frost will sell whatever you want/need, and more besides:
http://www.frost.co.uk/car-autobody-blasting-soda-blaster/automotive-polishing-tools.html

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2014, 10:00:55 pm »
thank you;
but I'm still struggling; recall - this is all new to me so I'm learning; been watching youtube vids but most of these are american and quoting american products not available here (or I will use a UK product). I understand the compounds to use but not clear on the products or tools.
so many types of paste, fluids, mops, felts, wheels ... and I'm not sure what to use where ... I'm seeking to clean and polish poor/flat/black steel, alloy and chrome . dont know where to start?

Edit: just reread your post. So.. like good idea is wet n dry grades but what next? Something like autosol or something? I know you keep providing links, thank you, but if you could recommend an actual range of specific named  products and the application? Id be grateful. Also, what polishing wheel are you referring to and where did you apply tcut to?
« Last Edit: 01 September 2014, 11:34:30 pm by MC680x0 »
Three lefts make a right