Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:28 pm

Author Topic: scottoiler  (Read 4818 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
scottoiler
« on: 27 August 2014, 08:31:27 pm »
If you search for yam fzs 600 here .. http://www.scottoiler.com/us/installation-guides.html
They show a image of a well pulled yet rusty chain
Thinking of getting the tutoro auto but I guess they don't oil the outside of links either and thus do we get rusted chains. I currently use lube that lasts for a hundred miles ... maybe more ... or so before it vanishes (gold so you can see when it's gone) and my chains are always well lubed out and in. ?? What views have we this foccers?
« Last Edit: 05 September 2014, 12:35:25 am by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: tutoro / Scott oilers and rusty outside links
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2014, 04:27:14 am »
I have a PDOiler and am very impressed. Better than tutoro and scottoiler IMO.

I had a tutoro auto on the last bike and while it was initially ok it eventually stopped supplying oil which I heard a few people say. Think you need thin oil and keep it well maintained.

I have it setup oiling the top of the chain and in use the entire chain has a nice fine layer of oil over it with no fling or excess and no rust at all.

Slight rust on side plates is isn't actually a worry though (although shouldn't happen if properly maintained), due to O-rings protecting the joints, its the rollers you need to be oiling for the contact with the sprockets.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2014, 04:29:30 am by Fazafou »

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2014, 07:19:10 am »
I plumbed for a yam fzs scottoiler which came with fee dual injector kit RRP£24 , TOTAL of £62 , not bad me thought

Heard born good and bad about the Scott, tutoro, pd, and other. Guess is comes down to prefeence and how good setup is. I have the DID VX530 new chain so wanted dual feed
Three lefts make a right

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2014, 08:55:01 am »
I've used all of them except the tuoro, and none of them are perfect.

It all depends on how you set them up as to where the oil goes. Had various results from top feeding the chain, and sprocket feeding, various oils, and weather difference.

I've settled atm with sprocket feed and using Scottoil red which is quite sticky in comparison to the blue which washes off in the first rain shower.

Whatever you use, don't be afraid of getting the oil on there, it's trial and error, but an over oiled chain is better than a dry one!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2014, 08:56:33 am »

It all depends on how you set them up as to where the oil goes. Had various results from top feeding the chain, and sprocket feeding, various oils, and weather difference.

I've settled atm with sprocket feed and using Scottoil red which is quite sticky in comparison to the blue which washes off in the first rain shower.

Whatever you use, don't be afraid of getting the oil on there, it's trial and error, but an over oiled chain is better than a dry one!
Cheers mate. I was thinking of ordering the red. I defo will do now. Thanks
Three lefts make a right

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2014, 09:14:53 am »

To be honest, the PDOiler I have on now is damn near close, it top feeds via the wick and you're right that its all in getting the setup right, but as this is electronically pumped, you get a metered amount of oil delivered routinely without suffering from temperature fluctuations or oil viscosity.

Chain hasn't needed adjusting in about 5 months and that's a commuting bike too :)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2014, 10:12:18 am »

I've a Scottoiler feeding the bottom of the rear sprocket (single sided).
It's not perfect, repriming is a pain if I forget to fill it and it does need adjustment a couple of times a year to correct for temperature. Also I'd prefer it fed both sides of the chain, but I refuse to pay for their over-priced dual injector… or their bloody rip-off oil, fresh car engine oil works just fine.
Aside from those niggles I can't complain about the results, the chain looks as though it'll see me through a third winter and currently has 25,000 miles on it. The one before this lasted 35k.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2014, 10:20:32 am »
Thanks for tips and views guys.I have 20L of 15w40 lying around. Can I use this?
Three lefts make a right

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2014, 10:51:25 am »
Yep :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2014, 11:03:06 am »
Double yep. Been using it for donkeys years. Never had to adjust a chain apart from changing the tyre since using it.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2014, 11:07:01 am »
Aww that's great guys. Many thanks for your tips and help
Three lefts make a right

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2014, 04:40:27 pm »
I had to make a slight adjustment to my chain last week after 8000 miles. Scottoiler, single side rear sprocket.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2014, 08:17:45 pm »
8k!!! If only my rear tyre lasted that long

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 August 2014, 08:55:43 pm »
Scottoiler V + Dual Injector arrived today £62 for both ! OEM !

Wil fit this wk/end

Is there a point / value of me doing a 101 on the install with pics , or has it been covered many times?
Three lefts make a right

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2014, 08:07:10 pm »
I don't see why not, there's always guys asking about specific installation, and a picture paints a thousand words etc.....

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2014, 08:15:17 pm »
ok so here is a pic of the scottoiler installed today. I will do a writeup but for now I have a query for anyone who uses on of these please.

I went for a 5 minute trip to the petrol station today, and 5 minutes back. Then let the bike idle for 10 minds. The oil has gone about 5 cm into the delivery tube. A long way off the chain nibs.

I checked the flow by allowing the engine to run and sucking on the other end of the delivery tube without the injector nib connected; I was able to pull a bit of oil - the 5cm or so of oil in the tube. Although nothing happens if I dont suck - the oil stays where it is. So the pump is open and oil can flow. When I reconnect the delivery tube to the nib , and sit there, the oil isnt moving. The RMV is set to PRIME and the vaccum is good because I can see the pump moved to the top of the RMV and drops when I kill the engine.

Is this normal and is more time needed??

You can see the RMV top tight and the dual injector bottom right - you can just see the nib on the silver (new) sprocket . The pipework is routed down the frame , behind the kick plate, under the swingarm. not a lot of pipework and I've heard plenty of guys installing their RMV at this location
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 08:18:48 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2014, 08:37:11 pm »
No point in constantly abbreviating unless you explain what it means?
What's an RMV?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2014, 08:39:12 pm »
What's an RMV?

you what!? if you has a scottoiler then you'd know - and as I asked for help from someone who owns a scottoiler it stands to reason that you would therefore know what a RMV is  ;)

anyway mate, for your eduction  :lol - Remote Metering Valve , to use scottoilers vernacular . Its where you store the oil and has a pump builtin that works from the vacuum offa the carb. the idea is that the vacuum holds the valve open allowing oil to flow and gravity does its job in getting oil to the nib above the chain
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 08:40:43 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2014, 08:44:15 pm »
What's an RMV?

you what!? if you has a scottoiler then you'd know - and as I asked for help from someone who owns a scottoiler it stands to reason that you would therefore know what a RMV is  ;)

anyway mate, for your eduction  :lol - Remote Metering Valve , to use scottoilers vernacular . Its where you store the oil and has a pump builtin that works from the vacuum offa the carb. the idea is that the vacuum holds the valve open allowing oil to flow and gravity does its job in getting oil to the nib above the chain

Oh, that RMV.........

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2014, 08:45:13 pm »
 :lol

been a right twat of of a job this; I had to fettle the dual injector because the chain is a new DID 530VX and sprocket kit, which is too wide for the injector so I had to do a bit of messing about. Took about two hours - should have been a half hour job. The dual injector - as the name suggests - has two nibs that deliver drops of oil onto the sprocket and chain. one each side of the sprocket. too narrow for this chain kit.

« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 08:50:00 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 September 2014, 09:32:29 pm »
I've never used one of these, and they obviously do a good job at maintaining and extending the lifespan of a chain, but, do they not cause oil to be chucked everywhere, especially if you're using engine oil?

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 September 2014, 09:39:21 pm »
You have to squeeze the oil all the way down to the end of the feed tubes,can be a pain i,ve had a few air bubble,s in mine at times and found that it doesn't seem to feed the chain when there is air in the pipe. So remove all the air by forcing the oil all the way through.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 September 2014, 09:43:50 pm »
i could squeeze the oil if there was any to squeeze. the problem is that the pipe is not filling up with oil unless I suck the oil down. Weird cos I know the RMV is fine.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 10:01:57 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 September 2014, 10:01:22 pm »
I've never used one of these, and they obviously do a good job at maintaining and extending the lifespan of a chain, but, do they not cause oil to be chucked everywhere, especially if you're using engine oil?
no mate, not if it is setup correctly which is the absolute key. fitted many of these but not to a fazer and not at the slight incline you can sea above. seen incorrectly fitted nibs where the oil is not delivered correctly. it must be delivered (out of the nib) onto the leading edge sprocket, above the lower run of the chain, above the tooth that precedes the first tooth that engages in the rollers at the point closest to the centre of the sprocket. kinda hard to explain but when done correctly the oil drop is distributed around the edge of the sprocket teeth, from a 6'o'clock position anti-clockwise up to the 12'o'clock position, due to centrifugal force, and the tiny tiny slither of resulting oil around the sprocket works its way inbetween the rollers.This is all done naturally at high speeds with about 1 drop per minute being delivered. Chains / sprockets can last 25 maybe 30K. yeah yeah yeah I know some people change sprockets routinely - I dont do that and have never needed to - not when using a scottoiler. not so with lube which collects all the crap, grit and shite, and deposits it inbetween the rollers, around the seals, and around the front sprocket. Anyone who has lubed a chain for a few years and then opened the front sprocket cover will no doubt confirm  :lol

Done incorrectly, the oil just drops through the roller onto the tyre - and perhaps other places as well.  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 10:10:52 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
Re: scottoiler
« Reply #24 on: 05 September 2014, 12:39:43 am »
Sorted!

The dumb ass I am... I was priming the RMV using pressure by squeezing a bottle of oil with the filler tube attached and connected to the RMV , wondering why the oil was not moving through the RMV feeder pipe down to the sprocket. Well... I left the foil seal over the top of the bottle. It hadn't been opened. Fknhell!  :o :b

Thought it was strange cos I've fitted several of these to other types of bikes

Duh

Sorted now.
Three lefts make a right