Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:02 pm

Author Topic: Best Method for Cleaning Carbs  (Read 1074 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Best Method for Cleaning Carbs
« on: 15 August 2014, 11:35:58 pm »
As the title says really guys. I know how to get the carbs out and I had the number 1 carb apart following Haynes manual, just wondering how I should clean them and what should I use. Any possible problems or adjustments I'm gonna need to watch out for?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Best Method for Cleaning Carbs
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2014, 01:36:01 am »
How bad are they? A can of carb cleaner should work fine. I wouldn't bother splitting the bank of carbs if they're not too bad. I'd take the diaphragm out and inspect it, take the jets out, note how many turns in there are on the idle mixture screw and take it out, leave all of the parts except the diaphragm to soak in the carb cleaner and clean the body of the carb with the carb cleaner. If the jets are blocked give them a poke with something and another spray of carb cleaner. Be careful not to damage them. You could take the choke plunger out as well if you wanted to and clean it. If you've got an air compressor use it, if you don't have one don't worry about it it's not necessary and the can of carb cleaner is pressurised anyway

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
Re: Best Method for Cleaning Carbs
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2014, 10:27:24 pm »
not done mikuni but done other carbs and used an old ice cream tub (3Litre) half filled with carb cleaner as his dudeness recommends; and just left the carb(s) to soak overnight. although I would not agree with dudness when he says poke something into the jets. no way !! this may/might scar the inside of the jetting and these things are highly prone to damage this way. use an air line or one of those aerosols fill with compressed air and use a fine straw to blow air through the jet holes.

I then drain over the next night , clean with kitchen towel, and finally spray contact cleaner through the carb which evaporates any residue left.

all good to reassemble but wear latex gloves when reassembling otherwise youre going to leave grease and sweat and salt from your grubby  fingers , in the carbs, no matter how clean you think your fingers are!
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 10:28:12 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right