Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:19 pm

Author Topic: updated speedo issues  (Read 1351 times)

Speckie Trekie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
updated speedo issues
« on: 25 July 2014, 01:16:20 pm »
A few months back I messaged with speedo issues... I managed to work it down to needing a new sensor.....  But after 3 months no speedo working I get a new one through the post but on my way to a mates house to get it fitted my old one started working again.....

Now it's intermittent and occasionally comes on and off in time with the indicators...  After asking about it I'm being told that it sounds like a bad earth wire....

So my question is... Where are the earth wires located for me to clean or replace....

Thanks again....  Dave.

Ps... Bike is a 98 fzs600.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: updated speedo issues
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2014, 02:42:54 pm »
It does sound like an earth fault, but it appears to be within the clocks as there is only one earth supplying the clocks and everything else works. it may be a corrosion in the clocks.

Do you have access to tools and a multimeter?
Do you know how to use a multimeter?

Remove the Screen, Using the Ohm scale the pull out the clocks plug and check that there is an earth at the clocks connector. There most likely will be.

Remove the clocks and take them apart, is there corrosion present anywhere within the clocks.

If there is corrosion on the circuit board, can you borrow a set to try from anybody, this is the quickest method for proving something works or not.

Post back the result.

Speckie Trekie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2014, 04:03:47 pm »
Tried new clocks when the problem first appeared cause I thought it was just dead clocks bit still didn't work... But I will pull it all down tomoz when the weather is less hot... And get back to you guys with results.. Cheers

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2014, 08:06:27 pm »
That rules that out.

Remove the screen
Remove the left infill panel

Unplug the the plug to the clocks. Switch the ignition to on,
Check for 12v on the brown wire turn off the ignition the 12v should drop to zero.
Check for 12v on the red/green wire turn off the ignition the 12v should drop to zero.
Check for earth on the black wire.

If the above test do not work pull the plugs under the infill panel apart do the same tests here.
Post the result.

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2014, 02:38:50 pm »
I'd still say it's the sensor. Swap it and see, if you've got the new one anyway it's a 10 minute job. When mine was playing up (jumping with indicators and brakes, then dead) it was the sensor, when I changed it there was a tiny gap in the insulation where the wire joined the sensor, I think moisture got in there and killed it. Could be the same for you and because we've had a few dry weeks maybe yours has dried out and started working again a little bit.

That's my theory anyway :)

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2014, 11:36:24 pm »
Good theory :thumbup

If all the tests I suggested are fine, that might be his only option.