Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:12 pm

Author Topic: Commuting  (Read 3264 times)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Commuting
« Reply #25 on: 26 July 2014, 04:21:36 pm »
I agree with what you say about the M25 traffic - I tend to lane swap to get around the crazy people who stick in lanes 3 and 4 doing 65mph...

In all but the heaviest of traffic I tend to find lane 2 and 3 the quietest, with lane 1 being occupied by trucks and lane 4 with everyone who wants to go fast, but whom aren't really getting anywhere

For filtering, I would reference it as passing between two vehicles who are literally side-by-side - otherwise it's an overtake / undertake as you say

I agree about the M25 lanes. When I've ridden it I always chugg along in lane 1 and popping into 2 to pass the trucks and back in again, I seem to make better progress this way.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #26 on: 28 July 2014, 10:01:42 am »
its horses for courses isn't?

every rider rides for a different reason and in a different way!
riding between Cornwall & Portsmouth I'm finding my confidence growing & will filter when I think its safe but if the traffic is moving @ speed limits then I'm happy to hold back in lane then overtake when it clears,
I find though if i'm on my bike then quite a few cars will pull over out of the way to let me past then pull out behind me once i'm clear... this doesn't happen when i'm in my cage doing similar speeds!!

although gotta say had MASSIVE grin on my face last night going olong A35 and traffic was at slow crawl so stuck right indicator on and went past the lot!! i reckon i passed bout 200 cars which if i'd been in cage would've held me up for bout an hour!!  :D :D
and the ride upto basingstoke this morning was a hoot...
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 July 2014, 10:16:14 am »

I find though if i'm on my bike then quite a few cars will pull over out of the way to let me past then pull out behind me once i'm clear... this doesn't happen when i'm in my cage doing similar speeds!!

Yeah, I've noticed that too, definitely helps with making progress :)

baggy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 July 2014, 11:09:19 am »
I get asked about biking all the time because I work in Birmingham City Centre and parking isnt cheap. What seems to put most people of is the amount of tests you have to pass, theory, MOD1, Mod2
White FZ8

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 July 2014, 03:52:17 pm »