Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:46 pm

Author Topic: Is it just ME  (Read 5054 times)

Why

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Is it just ME
« on: 10 July 2014, 09:30:14 am »
That experience my 2001 Fazer to be from HELL??????     Or is there someone that also have had the following problems, and in that case...WHAT to do whit it??????????      My bike is NOT idling, and when that happens the fuel goes in my engine oil,and to overflow.....
I am actually struggling VERY HARD to get this fixed, but nothing have yet helped...   So PLEASE guys. HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP :'(

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just ME
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2014, 09:46:13 am »
Have you done a compression test yet? Sounds like it could be a shot piston ring (or more than one) to me.

Why

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2014, 09:53:22 am »
No i ahve not done yet....   But when i have cleaning carbs, and installed New sparks, it runs fine for 3 -4 hours???

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2014, 01:46:39 pm »
One of the carb floats leaking?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2014, 02:15:29 pm »
+1 on the carb float. I think if it were a piston ring, it would do it permanently?

Is it burning any oil?
Stuttering at low revs/down on power?
Puddle of fuel under bike shortly after a ride?
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2014, 02:19:43 pm »
Yeah of it was a ring it would be constant (I thought it was constant until the post about cleaning the carbs temporarily fixing it).

Crud in the fuel tank/lines could also explain it running like a bag of spanners, but it doesn't explain the fuel in the oil obviously.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2014, 02:36:56 pm »
+1 on the carb float. I think if it were a piston ring, it would do it permanently?

Is it burning any oil?
Stuttering at low revs/down on power?
Puddle of fuel under bike shortly after a ride?

Wouldn't it be a case of gummed up carbs causing the float to stick open.

DOH! Just realised I've said basically the same thing  :lol
« Last Edit: 10 July 2014, 02:41:38 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2014, 02:43:23 pm »

Wouldn't it be a case of gummed up carbs causing the float to stick open.
It could be something as simple as a small bit of crud sticking the float open.

Is it the same carb that's overflowing all the time? Or can't you tell?

Is the air filter in one piece? If that's dropping to bits, it 'could' have sucked bits into the carbs. Only ever seen it once, and it caused a few problems.

Why

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2014, 03:07:11 pm »
Hi there... I am really impressed by all you guys that take Your time to help me out here...  Its right, the fuelsump ends up under the bike, allways...It runs not on idle, and yes...a lot of gas, in oil?????

Biker_Bob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - SCV100, KE100
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2014, 04:08:42 pm »
Check your float heights.
If they are roughly correct look at fitting new float needles in all 4 carbs.

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2014, 05:23:36 pm »

On the center stand, Put clear plastic pipe onto the drain plugs of the carbs, tape them up so they run up the side of the carbs.  Slacken off the drain screws and compare the levels.  turn ignition on and you should hear the fuel pump click a couple of times as the carbs refill, check levels again
As long as you have not got any leaks, you can start the engine and see what happens aswell

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2014, 06:24:43 pm »
Sounds like a needle jet leaking.
It either has dirt on the needle valve set or the needle jet housing O ring has perished and allow fuel to leak past and overfill the float bowl and flowing into the cylinder. Since it is much thinner than oil it flows past the rings into the sump. Was a bit of a problem in the earlier 1998 Fazer, but also effects any that are idle for long periods. It can also be caused by someone removing the needle jet housing and damaging the O ring.
The plastic pipe from the drain hole may or may not show it up depending on how fast it is happening.

I would suggest you buy a float valve kit and fit it. They are available from WeMoto for around £16 each.
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/01/picture/carburettor_gasket_and_float_valve_kit/

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2014, 06:25:28 pm »
I was going to suggest something similar to Ebme geeks suggestion, but this way sounds way better than my idea.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2014, 06:26:08 pm by stevierst »

Why

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2014, 09:20:47 pm »
Ok...  I have now get confirmed that the gas that leaks, is coming from carb 1 and 2.......   I have also dissambled the carburator rack...  What can i do NeXT?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 July 2014, 09:42:33 pm »
Ok...  I have now get confirmed that the gas that leaks, is coming from carb 1 and 2.......   I have also dissambled the carburator rack...  What can i do NeXT?

Buy another set of known working carbs..............from me! :D

Visually compare them with your  carbs....Fit them, drain your oil and replace with fresh including the filter.....replace your inline fuel filter....empty your fuel tank...check for debris or rust...replace with good fuel.......check your air filter isn't trashed or contaminated...replace it if required.

Then refurbish your old carbs in your own time. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2014, 10:35:33 pm »

Buy another set of known working carbs..............from me! :D

Visually compare them with your  carbs....Fit them, drain your oil and replace with fresh including the filter.....replace your inline fuel filter....empty your fuel tank...check for debris or rust...replace with good fuel.......check your air filter isn't trashed or contaminated...replace it if required.

Then refurbish your old carbs in your own time. 8)

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

reddave101

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2014, 07:21:45 am »
Have you done a compression test yet? Sounds like it could be a shot piston ring (or more than one) to me.

Spot on. Either rings have gone, or crack/hole in piston head..Fuel shouldnt be getting through to your oil to that extent. Ive bought yet another Fazer cheap which was suffering with similar problems. Engine out, head stripped, pistons checked and yes piston 3 was cracked on the head. Not very common but unfortunately it does happen.. Simple enough job to change the piston but I just changed all 4 with new rings.. Runs a dream now.. Just 1000 other jobs left to do on it...
It's not a speed limit it's a target

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 July 2014, 08:36:18 am »
As already suggested I'd look at the fuel petcock and the carbs. This is a common problem on one of my bikes, a Kawasaki ZRX1200R, where the fuel petcock seals fail allowing the fuel to flow freely when the engine is off. The fuel fills the carbs and then finds its way into the cylinders and then not to the engine oil. A complete oil drain is needed together with fixing the fuel petcock and carbs. Oh and it's not a good idea to try to start the motor as I believe you can get something called hydraulic lock in the engine, which basically cracks the block!
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 July 2014, 09:06:56 am »
Oh and it's not a good idea to try to start the motor as I believe you can get something called hydraulic lock in the engine, which basically cracks the block!

Hydrostatic lock, same as when idiots drive their cars through flooded roads. For a 600c inline 4 it probably won't take very much.  Each cylinder is 150cc and at a compression ratio of 1:10 (guessing here?) that's only about 15cc liquid needed in a single cylinder to break a rod etc.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 July 2014, 09:29:29 am »

Hydrostatic lock,

Thanks for correcting me.  :thumbup

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 July 2014, 09:32:24 am »
As already suggested I'd look at the fuel petcock and the carbs. This is a common problem on one of my bikes, a Kawasaki ZRX1200R, where the fuel petcock seals fail allowing the fuel to flow freely when the engine is off. The fuel fills the carbs and then finds its way into the cylinders and then not to the engine oil. A complete oil drain is needed together with fixing the fuel petcock and carbs. Oh and it's not a good idea to try to start the motor as I believe you can get something called hydraulic lock in the engine, which basically cracks the block!

Having said all that I realise the ZRX fuel is gravity fed, whereas the Fazer has a fuel pump. So maybe the flow of fuel into the oil would be limited to the contents of a carburettor? Either way give the carbs a good clean out and check for worn parts.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 July 2014, 11:26:20 am »

On the center stand, Put clear plastic pipe onto the drain plugs of the carbs, tape them up so they run up the side of the carbs.  Slacken off the drain screws and compare the levels.  turn ignition on and you should hear the fuel pump click a couple of times as the carbs refill, check levels again
As long as you have not got any leaks, you can start the engine and see what happens aswell

Every time I turn the ignition on my 03 Fazer I hear this clicking going on, I didn't it was the fuel pump. So does that mean my carbs are leaking too?  :o

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 July 2014, 11:36:59 am »

Every time I turn the ignition on my 03 Fazer I hear this clicking going on, I didn't it was the fuel pump. So does that mean my carbs are leaking too?  :o
that's normal...just the carbs filling up......if they're empty youll get loads o clicks...if you just stopped and restarted then only a couple.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 July 2014, 06:06:24 pm »
Yep, and if the bike has been left for a while then it's best to turn the key on an off a few times after the clicks have finished.  The pump stops after a while so if the levels are really low then they still won't be full after the first turn.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Why

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 July 2014, 10:37:42 am »
Good morning guys, and Girls :)   Thanks for uplightning me in all ways.....   I did anyway end up like this....:  After to have dissambled and assambeled the carburator rack Three times, and used hours and houers to think and come up whit a cool way to pressurise the rack out of the fuel line....ended up whit to replace all four O-rings around the inlet (that the needle to the float) should be in charge.....all is back to NORMAL, and i have me self a ( NEW) bike..:):):)      Thanks