Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:50 am

Author Topic: Getting a clunking sound  (Read 1233 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Getting a clunking sound
« on: 25 June 2014, 05:04:12 pm »
Hi Not long in after a blast on my FZ1. Forgot to use my ear plugs. Anyway I am getting clunking/rattle coming from the under the engine?  I have had a look nothing seems to be adrift or slack. To be honest sounds more internal and possibly around the clutch area. Any ideas as I am new to the FZ1, could it be the clutch plates/basket/ There is no loud clunk when changing or engaging gear. When on a smooth road surface it is quiet. It is not affecting the performance of the bike just annoying especially over rougher road surfaces, really noticable when going over say a speed hump. Maybe the center stand has a weak spring?
Appreciate your thoughts.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a clunking sound
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2014, 06:32:08 pm »
It  might be worth just checking the stand then, at least that will eliminate it. An easy check and lets hope it's that.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2014, 07:42:45 pm »
It's the fkin chain...adjust it to about 35mm & all will be good again.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2014, 11:25:05 pm »
Certainly not the chain , will cable tie the centre stand and see how we go

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2014, 12:10:50 am »
Might be worth checking to see of you've lost your rubber stop on the centre stand.  I lost mine a little while ago and the stand was banging on the link pipe.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2014, 02:10:57 pm »
Had the bike up on the center stand playing around with the feed nozzles for the V system scott oiler, also adjusted the chain a touch, but to be honest I reckon it was not so bad. Give her a run and popped her into gear. Sounds a bit rough around the back end. I really need something to compare it against. I have recently had new tyres fitted (250 miles) and I asked at the time of fitting to check the Wheel bearings. I was assured they were okay. There is no movement that I can feel on the wheel. Anyone got a pic of the cush drive arrangement in the wheel hub, assume there is some kind of rubber type spider coupling?
Marine engines are more my bag.
I suppose it could be possible I have a tight link on the chain? thing is the bike has only done about 13500 miles but it is relatively new to me. I could be just making a mountain out of a mole hill here, I do tend to see problems were they do not exist.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2014, 04:14:45 pm »
Had the bike up on the center stand playing around with the feed nozzles for the V system scott oiler, also adjusted the chain a touch, but to be honest I reckon it was not so bad. Give her a run and popped her into gear. Sounds a bit rough around the back end. I really need something to compare it against. I have recently had new tyres fitted (250 miles) and I asked at the time of fitting to check the Wheel bearings. I was assured they were okay. There is no movement that I can feel on the wheel. Anyone got a pic of the cush drive arrangement in the wheel hub, assume there is some kind of rubber type spider coupling?
Marine engines are more my bag.
I suppose it could be possible I have a tight link on the chain? thing is the bike has only done about 13500 miles but it is relatively new to me. I could be just making a mountain out of a mole hill here, I do tend to see problems were they do not exist.

A tight link on a chain will normally be felt through the footpeg as a consistent knocking feeling.
If you put the bike on the centre stand and rotate the wheel, look at each link of the lower part of the chain and if one (or more) is starting to seize up it will stay at a slight angle compared to the others which will be horizontal.
They're quite obvious to see.

« Last Edit: 26 June 2014, 04:15:38 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2014, 06:22:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies will have a closer check on the chain. I know the FZ6 had problems with the front sprocket lock nut. Was this ever a problem on the FZ1 ?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2014, 10:50:45 am »
Not any direct help (sorry) but your riding without earplugs and then hearing things reminded me about when I forgot I had a dark visor on and sat at lights and was worried my neutral light was a bit dim and thought it was my battery and so sat there revving the bike to "charge" the battery, then remembered it was looking dim because of my visor.
Could it be that you are hearing normal noises that you just couldn't hear with plugs in.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2014, 12:46:20 pm »
To be honest I rarely wear ear plugs, usually start off with them is stop for a brew and forget to put them back in again.