Date: 16-06-24  Time: 16:02 pm

Author Topic: Ok, I know it's legal, but is it clever?!  (Read 2732 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Ok, I know it's legal, but is it clever?!
« on: 15 January 2012, 01:01:45 am »
Coming back from Southampton this evening, I noticed traffic ahead of me in in Lane 1 fairly abruptly pulling out, doing an overtake, then moving back again.

I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw for myself, a Lambretta scooter (with a rear light with as much intensity as a couple of glowworms) doing about 50mph  :eek

Now I presume it had a capacity of over 50cc to make it legal, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be riding it on a motorway...!

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I know it's legal, but is it clever?!
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2012, 08:10:31 am »
I went to a Scooter Rally in Bridlington not so long ago. Not normally my scene but was a good laugh none the less. Anyway, you should have seen how many Lambrettas / Vespas were putt-putting along the motorway in the dark pissing it down with rain.

Yep, seemed stupid and I wouldn't do it but felt sorry for those poor bastids! One of them was riding with a pillion and tailgating a HGV purely to help with slipstreaming lol....looked funny but so vulnerable!  :eek

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2012, 10:18:43 am »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFForget that! I know some base jumping, free climbing adrenaline junkies who would consider this kind of thing too dangerous!  :lol   If they "must" travel more than 10 miles from their homes then they should get a van, stick the Vespa/Lambretta in the back, drive to destination, get dryer out, show to fellow owners, ride round destination for chips etc, van home simple.  8) All I can say is they must have some kind of underlying death wish that maybe even "they" aren't aware of.  :evil :eek :rolleyes

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2012, 12:08:59 pm »
Wonder if they were part of the Scooter Club I saw at macdonalds in Cosham Wednesday night still on his way home?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2012, 03:40:24 pm »
That said there are some quick Vespa,s too
Its just a ride

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2012, 05:08:26 pm »
That said there are some quick Vespa,s too
Especially Tommy Hill's one, it's a Swan Vespa.
 :groan

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2012, 07:05:29 am »
I did a job for a scootr enthusiast... they get excited over " big bore kits", you know, an extra 25 cc  :rollin ....but its piss all for todays roads...... :o

Best part of the whole scene are the women who go along !  :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2012, 11:58:50 pm »
Wonder if they were part of the Scooter Club I saw at macdonalds in Cosham Wednesday night still on his way home?

Erm, if so, he was heading the wrong way because I was coming *from* Southampton *to* Portsmouth! :D

Tormentron

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - Vespa T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2012, 05:08:39 pm »
Most of the Lammys on the road are 125-200CC.  However depending on the age you could be looking at a 6v electric system (with points) - which would explain the poor illumination.  Many enthusiasts will convert to 12v electrics with electronic timing, which will improve the lighting

I went from Ireland to Holland on a 125 Vespa, (during the summer and in good weather, during the day) - no one can tell you that a 600CC bike isn't  too small for touring after that.  Really great - but i wouldn't do it again.

Scooters >125cc are ok for the motorway use once you don't have a headwind or a fat passenger (or rider). But one of my main reasons for moving to bigger bikes is safety when heading out on the motorway on a poxy winter night - you've got a lot more power in reserve, better breaks, light height, stability etc.

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2012, 03:55:34 am »
I can still remember riding around the ards peninsula in northern Ireland on my gp100 about 25 years ago. My m8's dad had a holiday cottage and we had a girl each. The girls got a lift down to the cottage, but this isn't the most memorable part of the weekend (despite being a teenager at the time and just discovering the joys of the female body).

What I remember most is the ride home, and tailgating, as a previous poster mentioned. My little gp had a headlight as effective as a cheap torch.and the only way I could see was to sit up the backside of a car in front, so hats off to those scooter boys.

Won't be long before the EU forces us to have someone walk in front of us at 4mph in hi vis and with a flashing red banner, personally I prefer to take a little risk and have a little fun :-)