Date: 01-06-24  Time: 17:52 pm

Author Topic: warning light for engine fault .  (Read 9590 times)

hawkeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CD 175 1974
    • View Profile
warning light for engine fault .
« on: 28 May 2014, 08:51:59 am »
having a problem in that the engine fault warning light coming on , as your aware when you turn the ignition key all the warning lights come on but should then go off as you start up , well got the bike out on weekend and it wouldn't start up ,the engine fault warning is staying on , tried few more times and she eventually started but then cut out , tried again yesterday and fault light would not go out so bike wouldn't start again , my bike is the S2 FZ6 with ABS on 07 plate ?

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: warning light for engine fault .
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2014, 04:40:06 pm »
If the engine management light is staying on just take it down to a Yamaha dealer and get them to plug there diagnostics into it and will tell you what the problem is, might not even need Yamaha dealer other dealers have the things needed. Only reason I mentioned Yamaha was I think it is some of the newer Triumphs have to go to a main dealer, that's why I got an S2 and not the Speed Triple I was looking at as the dealer did say I would have to have it serviced at a Triumph dealer.

If your lucky they will do the diagnostic part for free, once you know what is wrong can either stick with them or take it somewhere else or do it yourself depending on what it is.

hawkeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CD 175 1974
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2014, 07:09:04 pm »
If the engine management light is staying on just take it down to a Yamaha dealer and get them to plug there diagnostics into it and will tell you what the problem is, might not even need Yamaha dealer other dealers have the things needed. Only reason I mentioned Yamaha was I think it is some of the newer Triumphs have to go to a main dealer, that's why I got an S2 and not the Speed Triple I was looking at as the dealer did say I would have to have it serviced at a Triumph dealer.

If your lucky they will do the diagnostic part for free, once you know what is wrong can either stick with them or take it somewhere else or do it yourself depending on what it is.
Onlything is I need the engine running to get there   :rolleyes ;)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2014, 11:17:02 pm »
having a problem in that the engine fault warning light coming on

Do you get a fault code appearing on the instruments when you switch on?

If not, there is a way to access the diagnostic codes, but it's too complicated to type out, however you can find it in the Haynes manual and that should tell you what the problem is.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2014, 08:47:42 pm »
Yeah just noticed you mentioned it wouldn't start, sorry about that I skipped the bit about not running as I had 2 windows open and the other was about one running strange.

hawkeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CD 175 1974
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2014, 01:25:15 pm »
no fault code showing just the engine fault light , ign and oil lights both go out after turning key but the engine fault light staying on .

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2014, 04:33:26 pm »
Don't know if yours lives in the wet much, but my sons bike (same model) showed some strange symptoms like this, also intermittentely dodgy tempature guage, found the main connector onto the ECU had got water into it, dried it out, cleaned connections, put some silicon grease on the connector seal, been ok since, worth a quick check

hawkeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CD 175 1974
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2014, 06:19:26 am »
Don't know if yours lives in the wet much, but my sons bike (same model) showed some strange symptoms like this, also intermittentely dodgy tempature guage, found the main connector onto the ECU had got water into it, dried it out, cleaned connections, put some silicon grease on the connector seal, been ok since, worth a quick check
Mines inside all winter in a garage so wouldn't think its wet although condensation can be as bad , will try that later today anyway - thanks for the heads up  ;)

hawkeye

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CD 175 1974
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2014, 09:21:02 am »
Well I changed the oil and gave it all a good clean and sprayed a connector cleaner into it and it seems to have worked ok , fingers crossed  , cheers mate  .