Date: 02-06-24  Time: 13:25 pm

Author Topic: Totally baffled by PCN  (Read 15709 times)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Totally baffled by PCN
« on: 06 May 2014, 06:59:08 pm »
Hello Foccer's, got an e-mail today regarding a PCN and have no idea what I've supposed to have done. Can anyone shed any light on this for me ?

DATE OF NOTICE                16/4/14
DATE OF CONTRAVENTION  11/3/14

YOU ARE LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR DEALING WITH THIS NOTICE DO NOT PASS THIS ON TO THE DRIVER

THE COUNCIL BELIEVES THAT YOU ARE LIABLE TO PAY A PENALTY CHARGE WITH RESPECT TO THE ABOVE VEHICLE, FOR THE FOLLOWING ALLEGED CONTRAVENTION.

38JL FAILING TO COMPLY WITH A SIGN INDICATING THAT VEHICULAR TRAFFIC MUST PASS TO THE SPECIFIED SIDE OF THE SIGN.

IN ENFIELD ROAD N1 ON 11/3/14 AT 00.09.

Now I have no idea what this means or whether the notice was issued over the set limit of time after the bullshit sounding offence.
 Can anyone help ?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Totally baffled by PCN
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2014, 07:03:31 pm »
Hi dazza.......strange you got it via email...
One, is never going to be enough.....

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2014, 07:06:15 pm »
Ring the Council and verify it but don't use any contact details on the email.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2014, 07:07:59 pm »
It sounds so official it is blatantly not enforceable.......& i dont even know foc all about it.......but id be willing to take a punt on ignoring this one.......no mention of prosecution if you dont.....& "the" council....are they serious......surely they should call themselves foc-u council or bullshitters r us council or whatever........not "the" only council to ever exist.

It must be fraud......probably eastern europeans scamming you.......or clarkson he's a bad ass these days aint he.

I've got a sign in mind for them......a big foc-u sign & the middle finger.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2014, 07:12:31 pm »
Just send me the money dazza and I'll pass it on to them.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2014, 07:28:40 pm »
 :b

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2014, 07:30:16 pm »
Hi dazza.......strange you got it via email...
Hi Red, was driving  a company van and got the e-mail from my company, 9 weeks after the alleged offence and the notice was issued 5 weeks and one day after, sounds like complete bullshit to me. I was working at Holloway rd underground station on that date but the wording of the offence is far from clear what I actually done wrong and I thought they had to issue the pcn within a specified time from the offence. Does anyone know what the time limit is. ?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2014, 07:37:25 pm »
Thats way to long matey....think its 14 days.....give it back to your company and tell them its bollocks.....the PCN not your company  :rolleyes.....nice offer from bri, top foccer  :lol

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2014, 07:40:46 pm »
I thought you had to be notified within 14 days, as long as the details are correct on the log book, also it would be by letter, are you sure it's not a "mate" winding you up? how do they know your email address?

peterjca

« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2014, 07:44:50 pm »
Ask yourself how on earth "the council" could have gotten hold of your email address!

It's spam. It's a phishing exercise. Ignore it. File it in the dustbin along with all the "you've won the lottery", "you could be in line for compensation" and "you're owed a tax refund" spam.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2014, 07:55:22 pm »
I thought you had to be notified within 14 days, as long as the details are correct on the log book, also it would be by letter, are you sure it's not a "mate" winding you up? how do they know your email address?

Chaz, chaz, chaz.....its dazza.......he rides a yellow bike........he has no mates...... :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2014, 08:02:33 pm »
It's bullshit matey, as everyone else says, it's a scam!

Pretty sure that the council can't enforce traffic legislation, that's the law courts job unless it's on private property, even then they'll struggle to get anything out if it.

As already said, phone the local council office and confirm it.

Or email them back and ask for proof of the offence actually taking place so you can forward it in to your solicitor. I'm sure they won't send anything back.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2014, 08:04:08 pm by stevierst »
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2014, 08:07:38 pm »
 :lol  OK, before this thread deteriorates, It's a company van, the pcn was sent to my company and my company have just e-mailed me. I couldn't copy and paste the pcn from the e-mail so I typed a section of it on to here. It's the notorious Islington council responsible for the notice and they say they have photographic evidence of me ignoring a sign saying that vehicles must pass to the specified side of the sign.....WTF, confused ? I am. :(

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2014, 08:13:43 pm »
Hello Foccer's, got an e-mail today regarding a PCN and have no idea what I've supposed to have done. Can anyone shed any light on this for me ?

DATE OF NOTICE                16/4/14
DATE OF CONTRAVENTION  11/3/14

YOU ARE LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR DEALING WITH THIS NOTICE DO NOT PASS THIS ON TO THE DRIVER

THE COUNCIL BELIEVES THAT YOU ARE LIABLE TO PAY A PENALTY CHARGE WITH RESPECT TO THE ABOVE VEHICLE, FOR THE FOLLOWING ALLEGED CONTRAVENTION.

38JL FAILING TO COMPLY WITH A SIGN INDICATING THAT VEHICULAR TRAFFIC MUST PASS TO THE SPECIFIED SIDE OF THE SIGN.

IN ENFIELD ROAD N1 ON 11/3/14 AT 00.09.

Now I have no idea what this means or whether the notice was issued over the set limit of time after the bullshit sounding offence.
 Can anyone help ?

Chances are you went around a bollard on the right when it specified left only or something like that and the council had a camera watching the road. Look for video evidence of the alleged offence.

I know what you are thinking , how the foc does an Irish Cork foccer  know this?  :eek because it happened to a friend of a friend in north London some time ago during the high winds. He went around a bollard with a blue arrow indicating left on the right because there was debris blown onto the road. The video showed he had no choice, but to go around it on the wrong side and they dropped it.  :) Another way of making money for the poor cash strapped councils and it appears there is no real time limit :rolleyes just like parking tickets.

There appears to be a lot of controversy about it with people claiming it is entrapment.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2014, 08:21:31 pm »
Rule of thumb is the PNC or NIP needs to be sent out within 14 days of the offence (The day of the offence is not included) and allow two days for posting. If It's a firms van your employer should notify you as soon as reasonably possible.

Sound like you you went the wrong side of one of these.

Or went through a larger gap for use by emergency or municipal vehicles.

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2014, 08:31:28 pm »
Do people not read others comments, after you said it was your company that emailed you people still saying it's a scam?
Use your eyes peeps.

As for the offence it will be what kosmic has posted above.

Have a look at their photo evidence then unless there was a genuine reason for going the wrong side of the sign just pay the fine- I believe if the police had seen you do it it's endorsable!
Did it several times on the bike years ago, got one of these through the post and haven't done it since!
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2014, 08:39:12 pm »
Aaah, now it makes sense dazza!

Must be a London thing then, never heard if it up and around here. Council have no power over traffic legislation up here, purely cops and courts, the best way!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2014, 08:42:34 pm »
Cheers fellas, it's obvious now what I've meant to have done. Although I can't remember it, it's entirely possible. I will ask for photographic evidence and just pay it if it's confirmed. Fucking grieves me though. :grumble BUT, 36 days after the offence to the notice, is this an out ?
« Last Edit: 06 May 2014, 08:45:57 pm by dazza »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2014, 08:46:31 pm »
Another foc-u thing totally focced. :smokin

Dont worry dazza...aint your fault.

Just your.......

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 May 2014, 08:47:17 pm »
Do people not read others comments, after you said it was your company that emailed you people still saying it's a scam?
Use your eyes peeps.

:thumbup As above which makes me wonder how more foccers haven't owned up to getting one of these pcn's ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2014, 09:04:04 pm »
I got a pcn off Haringey council years ago for riding in a bus lane. Took them to PATAS claiming their signage was insufficient and won. Great feeling that was :)

Call council direct to prove its not a scam and get the photo / video evidence (they can't withold it) and check all the signage and whether there was a reason for doing it.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2014, 09:14:55 pm »
link fail :\
« Last Edit: 06 May 2014, 09:20:05 pm by dazza »

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2014, 09:17:21 pm »
Go onto islington.gov and find the parking/fine section. Type the pcn number in and see if it was u on the pictures.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 2014, 09:22:51 pm »
Theres a positive story could come outta this.

You say that you were riding Nicks bike in wales......or he says he was riding your van through lundin........then one o yous gets outta jail......both got yellow bikes anyway so no drama. :b

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 May 2014, 10:17:25 pm »
Problem is as the charge has gone directly to his company (the registered owner of the vehicle) they have probably paid the charge already in order to pay at the cheaper rate, and are now pursuing the money back from the driver!
Although I'd be happy for dazza to tell me I'm wrong and he is being given a chance to defend himself! (but I doubt that!)
Some say...