Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:31 pm

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 1682 times)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Heated Grips
« on: 06 January 2012, 07:38:32 am »
I've got a 1999 FZS600 and I need to fit my oxford heated grips, but dont want to wire them straight off the battery as they can be switched on without the ignition being on. If  I wire them to the switched side of the main ignition switch so that they only work with the ignition on, will the main fuse be ok to protect the circuit or do I need an additional fuse? :rolleyes

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2012, 07:59:36 am »
I wired mine into the live from the rear brake light switch(with an inline fuse) so not to cut into the main wiring loom, easy to stick back to standard by just replacing the brake light wiring.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=65.0

Here's a great write up on how to do it with pics.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2012, 10:41:14 am »
I soldered mine to the switched live bus bar next to the battery compartment.
Which is the same way as described in the above linky. Have fun.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2012, 10:43:13 am »
My garage fitted mine and I wanted the same, they wired it off the fuel pump, not sure how correct that was but it works.  I did subsequently read in the instructions that the oxford grips I have will only work off a certain voltage and that the engine has to be running and the alternator charging the battery to achieve that voltage, hense they can't be turned on by mistake.

Still prefer them being linked into the electrical system.  I work at a Uni and I was worried students might fancy a laugh, leaving me stranded when it came to home time.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!