Date: 01-06-24  Time: 16:12 pm

Author Topic: Best all round tyres?  (Read 5565 times)

msewelly

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Best all round tyres?
« on: 01 May 2014, 11:48:55 am »
Hi,

I currently have Bridgestone BT021's fitted but they are running low so I am looking at a new set, are there any other brands that have a good tyre that handles well in the bends but also is suitable for about town?

Thanks

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Best all round tyres?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2014, 11:54:33 am »
I have the Bt023 front and rear on mine. Used in wet and dry conditions. Very good tyres, grip is fantastic :)

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2014, 12:00:53 pm »
Another tyre thread  :'(

BT023s here. If you are happy with the 21s why look elsewhere - just get another set.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2014, 12:16:46 pm »
Yup BT023, or it's replacement the T30, or it's competitor the PR2 or PR3 would all be good all round choices.

I'd be happy with any of the above and would choose between them simply based on price and availability locally.

Andy

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2014, 12:22:37 pm »
The ones hanging over the sides of barges .
I ask a guy how long he had out of them and he said 25 years and counting
 I getting me some of them  :lol
Its just a ride

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2014, 01:38:01 pm »
If you like a bit of a scratch (as we all do from time to time :angel ), but mostly just ride around at normal speeds, then most decent sport touring tyres will do you well.

Had good if not similar results from PR3, Contimotions, bt021, bt023. I've used Maxxis supermax for commuting and a little scratching, currently use and very heavily abuse Maxxis Diamonds on the FZ1. A very good tyre despite what the armchair critics say!!

Had similar wear out of them within a few hundred miles or thereabouts. I get about 5-6k  out of a rear on the 600, and 2-3k out of the thou  :eek

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them, it's mostly down to budget and what the latest media hype is really.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2014, 06:46:57 pm »
Stevie and I always argue about this! :lol

I had a set of Maxxis Supermaxx on my Fazer 6, and hated them. They squared fast, and when half worn, I found the rear squirmed when cornering had, and really nasty in the wet.

I was really happy when I slung them in the bin!!
The Deef's apprentice

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2014, 07:56:16 pm »
I think were going to have to agree to disagree about maxxis Christo, even though I have been riding bikes longer than you've been alive :P

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2014, 11:20:16 am »
Stevie and I always argue about this! :lol

I had a set of Maxxis Supermaxx on my Fazer 6, and hated them. They squared fast, and when half worn, I found the rear squirmed when cornering had, and really nasty in the wet.

I was really happy when I slung them in the bin!!

The supermaxx touring type ones Christo? I fecking hate them as well - had them to start with on the FZS1000 I had and they span up very easily even in the dry, the wet was just another matter entirely.

From personal experience, depending on your riding I'd either be going for.

1.) Pirelli Angel GT - Hard wearing, not bad in the wet, but bloody brilliant in the dry (not far off sports tyres on the road to be honest - and I'm on a bigger bike too which gives them a fair bit of a hard time under acceleration
2.) Michelin Pilot Road 3 (or maybe 4, but not tried those - also hard wearing, bloody brilliant in the wet, but feel a bit less sporty and I don't like them in the dry if I'm trying to press on - the rear end in particular feels a bit vague, and I've had it break away a couple times with next to no warning when really cracking on - again about, 145hp at the wheel does do that!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2014, 03:00:39 pm »
Best all round tyres?

Ok as no one else has stepped up for I will. Best all round tyres?  I thought that tyres are round all the way around
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2014, 03:14:38 pm »
I just got PR3's & they dont feel as sticcky as the diablo 2's i had before......but ive managed to lean them over just as much and not even hot yet so they must be pretty good.....if pricey.

On my Thou there is also PR3's and the previous owner has had them on the track and they have chewed so i now know they arent too hard a compound to go quick on.............plus i had the most confidence inspiring wet ride ever on them on Thursday so their wet performance is also great.....& apparently they last for ages....tbc.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 May 2014, 04:16:56 pm »

On my Thou
oooh oooh listen to you now all "on my thou"

Actually I was looking at some guys tyres and talking and I said yourve been giving them some corners havent you - because they were all chewed up on the edges, And he told me errr no, he brought them second hand off a racer who did that to them on a track, so it may not always be the last owner that was doing the hero antics and that was a thou also
« Last Edit: 03 May 2014, 08:30:30 pm by fazersharp »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2014, 04:27:21 pm »

On my Thou
oooh oooh listen to you now all "on my thou"

Actually I was looking at some guys tyres and talking and I said yourve been giving them some corners havent you - because they were all chewed up on the edges, And he told me errr no, he brought them second hand off a racer who did that to them on a track, so it may not be the last owner that was doing the hero antics and that was a thou also

:b :b :b

Ye im gonna hate getting rid o those tyres....no more pretending to be the man at cafe stops :lol

It also has a nurburgring sticker.....i said to Chris id have to replace it with a "Neverbeen" sticker........but as he says it's the bike thats been, not the rider & i dont have a nurburgring patch on my jacket.....i do have a Vietnam Vet campaign badge though coz i seen some shit......but i dont like to talk about it :D
« Last Edit: 03 May 2014, 04:29:21 pm by noggythenog »

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2014, 07:49:42 pm »
+1 for the anti Maxxis thing...   :lol
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2014, 08:11:35 pm »
 8) 8) 8)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2014, 08:55:29 pm »
+1 for the anti Maxxis thing...   :lol
Anti Maxxis, you don't know what your missing!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2014, 09:02:53 pm »
maxxis supermaxx on my thou at the minute - not had any issues yet, a bit squirmy on the corners, but Ive put that down to the road as opposed to the tyre thus far

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 May 2014, 09:15:21 pm »
There can be a big difference in tyres but for your average road rider I think a lot of tyre confidence is in your head. If everyone says a certain tyre is great you're going to trust the tyre and be more confident and relaxed on the bike whereas if you think you've got rubbish tyres you're far more likely not to trust them and bail out through corners or get on the brakes early or stiffen up when it gets a bit wet because you've convinced yourself they're rubbish. In reality if you gave the same tyre to a really good rider he'd probably push them much harder than you would with no problems

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 May 2014, 10:15:46 pm »
There can be a big difference in tyres but for your average road rider I think a lot of tyre confidence is in your head. If everyone says a certain tyre is great you're going to trust the tyre and be more confident and relaxed on the bike whereas if you think you've got rubbish tyres you're far more likely not to trust them and bail out through corners or get on the brakes early or stiffen up when it gets a bit wet because you've convinced yourself they're rubbish. In reality if you gave the same tyre to a really good rider he'd probably push them much harder than you would with no problems

No seriously the Maxxis were cr@p  :b ... and Stevie I wouldnt knock 'em If I hadnt tried 'em  ;)
« Last Edit: 03 May 2014, 10:18:30 pm by johna6968 »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 May 2014, 10:19:17 pm »
Touche his dudeness! Couldn't have said it better myself!
All you need to do is look at the tyres race bikes had in the 60's/70's/80's, They were shit!  Our s/t tyres today have more grip, but 90% of riders can't get close to their limits, and on the road, SHOULDN'T get anywhere near that. It's all in their heads, and skills.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 May 2014, 10:23:35 pm »
No seriously the Maxxis were cr@p  :b ... and Stevie I wouldnt knock 'em If I hadnt tried 'em  ;)
I bet you used the supermax. I've been using them for commuting, and they do ok. I don't boot it in the wet, as it's not worth it.
The diamonds are a different kettle of fish though.

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 May 2014, 10:26:05 pm »
Yup Supermaxx.. Bizarrely Mate had a set of Maxxis sport similar time and couldnt wait to bin them too..
« Last Edit: 03 May 2014, 10:31:14 pm by johna6968 »

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2014, 10:39:20 pm »
Yup Supermaxx.. Bizarrely Mate had a set of Maxxis sport similar time and couldnt wait to bin them too..

+1.

I used the Supermaxx too, and have only ever slagged them off.
The Deef's apprentice

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2014, 10:59:06 pm »
Now that's wierd, the sport tyres are supposed to be quite good, because certain race schools use them with a lot of success.
I can't say I've used them though, they're quite soft and wouldn't last me 5 minutes. I only get 2500 ish out of s/t tyres!!!! 

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2014, 11:01:04 pm »

This stuff crops up with cars too....my last car I replaced the standard Dunlops for the cheapest of the cheap the tyre fitters could find me...I think £45 a tyre...........result.....just as good as the originals.
Plus the best tyres for me on the bike were the things I had when I first got it....Michellin Macadams......I mean who's foccin ever heard of them..but I loved them