Date: 21-06-24  Time: 06:56 am

Author Topic: I Gotta Stop This.....  (Read 4953 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
I Gotta Stop This.....
« on: 26 April 2014, 08:46:09 pm »

.....this, well, you know, looking at other bikes (sssssshhhhhhh!).
It's not that I'm in danger of selling ol' custard. Just, well, an FZR EXUP for £500........£1500 for a nicer one..........talk of p/VALVES.........this:

......Z650s and turbo'd Katana 11s in classics magazines......oh God, I think I need therapy!!!

I blame Noggy, he started it  :evil

Please will everyone just stop talking about bikes and let's have some peace!  :'(

Psssst! KTM1290 SDR!

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgh!!!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: I Gotta Stop This.....
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2014, 09:12:15 pm »

I am contented now :smokin

i'll still have a  :faz

1st rule of  :faz  club.......always have a  :faz
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2014, 09:15:11 pm »
Wait until we get some more project Fazers going!
My advice: buy a cheap FZS6, and start modding on the cheap, like me! :)
The Deef's apprentice

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2014, 09:17:03 pm »
My advice: buy a cheap FZS6, and start modding  bodging on the cheap, like me! :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2014, 09:59:34 pm »
My advice: buy a cheap FZS6, and start modding on the cheap, like me! :)

That EXUP at £500 got me thinking. Peanuts for what could be a fairly valuable classic in the not-too-distant future. The seller says the price is just cos of poor cosmetics - if that were the case, hmmmmmm. Course, the engine could turn out to be a proper munter too.....
But even £1500 for a nice example is a lot of bike for the money and as to value, it surely is only a matter of time before prices start to rise. Now would be the time to buy.
Note to self: start looking into availability of bike storage options round here......

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2014, 08:07:56 am »
dont do it nick....before you know it you`ii have 5 of the buggers   :lol :lol :lol :lol interesting fact ,that montjuic,loudest production bike you could buy at the time,not a quality any manufacturer would boast about now......reds top tip for future classic status.....early R1 in the red and white,come up on ebay every now and again at sensible prices  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2014, 10:24:55 am »
Whenever i see the word Laverda it just reminds me of playing Top Trumps as a kid, if i remember rightly the Laverda Jota card used to kick ass.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2014, 10:30:01 am »
Those R1s are already starting to fetch money Paul. I was at High Beach one day when a fella turns up in a van - he'd just come from work on his lunch break - in the van he had the panels from one of those R1s all freshly sprayed from the painters in........red and white. This was a few years ago, and he was "restoring" it - even then a few folks knew they'd be worth looking after.

There was a book when I was a kid called "Superbikes of the Seventies" - those are more the kind of things I'd be interested in, plus the stuff I rode in my youth, hence the YPVS and early GSXRs, RG500s - but all those are already silly money - except the Exup, and I can't fathom why not cos it was a brilliant bike, and looks the nuts even now. But I do think that will be set to change soon.

Yeah darrsi, the Slater Brothers took the Laverda 3C I think, and gave it hairier cams etc, Laverda produced it as the Jota for the UK only - it held the record for the fastest production bike for a number of years - a genuine 140mph.
The Montjuic came later - 1980 (that's when Bike magazine tested one anyway) - I've recently been told it was designed as an entry level Laverda (the Jota was £3000 in the early 80s). Had it's own race series apparently. Never seen one in the flesh since those days, pretty little thing though, and as Paul said, very loud! Bike reckoned it was a bit of a hooligan bike in those days  :evil

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2014, 10:52:46 am »
Those R1s are already starting to fetch money Paul. I was at High Beach one day when a fella turns up in a van - he'd just come from work on his lunch break - in the van he had the panels from one of those R1s all freshly sprayed from the painters in........red and white. This was a few years ago, and he was "restoring" it - even then a few folks knew they'd be worth looking after.

There was a book when I was a kid called "Superbikes of the Seventies" - those are more the kind of things I'd be interested in, plus the stuff I rode in my youth, hence the YPVS and early GSXRs, RG500s - but all those are already silly money - except the Exup, and I can't fathom why not cos it was a brilliant bike, and looks the nuts even now. But I do think that will be set to change soon.

Yeah darrsi, the Slater Brothers took the Laverda 3C I think, and gave it hairier cams etc, Laverda produced it as the Jota for the UK only - it held the record for the fastest production bike for a number of years - a genuine 140mph.
The Montjuic came later - 1980 (that's when Bike magazine tested one anyway) - I've recently been told it was designed as an entry level Laverda (the Jota was £3000 in the early 80s). Had it's own race series apparently. Never seen one in the flesh since those days, pretty little thing though, and as Paul said, very loud! Bike reckoned it was a bit of a hooligan bike in those days  :evil

Back in the very early 80's my brother passed his test on the day of his 17th birthday, and as he'd left school earlier than normal, he'd been working, and had saved up and bought the Honda CBX1000 which was sitting at home waiting for him!
That was a bit of a lumpy beast, especially for what was basically a kid.
Then at age 18 he part ex'd it for the Kawasaki Z1300.  :)

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2014, 12:04:06 pm »
Yeah, the CBX (and the Z13?) were in that book - everything in it is now considered a classic I think, but then, isn't everything from that era  :rolleyes
Saw this little line-up on the Raven's cafe ride to Wales, at the Ponderosa:

CBX heaven - can you count all the cylinders?  :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2014, 12:09:11 pm »
30......but only 9  shocks....think the bike on the far right is pro-link, a later model and not quite as collectable....nice piccie   :)
« Last Edit: 27 April 2014, 12:10:39 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2014, 03:46:39 pm »
Big barn door of a fairing on that one....was a guy lived next door to me many moons ago had a CB900F2B.......big fairing like that. Word was, F2B stood for Far Too Big  :lol

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2014, 08:33:33 pm »
Big barn door of a fairing on that one....was a guy lived next door to me many moons ago had a CB900F2B.......big fairing like that. Word was, F2B stood for Far Too Big  :lol

Does that mean that the Honda Goldwing F2C stands for Far Too Crap?
The Deef's apprentice

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2014, 09:23:02 pm »
A Laverda ...........I must go and lie down for a while. ........memories of a lustful youth.....a long while ago:-(
This is as young as you're ever going to be!

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2014, 10:16:42 pm »
i love that monty. i had the sensible alpino version years ago. it would never start once it was warm though.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2014, 01:13:36 pm »
a dealer in whittlesey, marsdens, got the first exups in our area. it was ten quid for a test ride (something to do with the insurance) a mate who owned an rg500 took one out and when i met him in the pub he was reduced to gibberish about how good it was, so i took it out. it was so different and far ahead of all the other four strokes in terms of performance and handling id ridden i was gutted i couldnt buy one.id say get one mate, they are just as historic and heroic as the z1, gpz900 and fireblade, all themselves game changing bikes.