Date: 21-06-24  Time: 07:09 am

Author Topic: advice sought on impending fzs600 purchase  (Read 2240 times)

tom77

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
advice sought on impending fzs600 purchase
« on: 26 April 2014, 11:25:05 am »
Hi All. I'm pretty new to bikes (owned a cg125 for about 5 months and a zzr600 for about 2 weeks - both back in 2012). I’m off to look at a second hand FZS600 (2003 model) tomorrow having already half purchased it, as it were, as it seemed such a good deal (£1000 and only about 14000 miles on the clock). Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? (assuming I can still pull out of the deal!) Any advice gratefully received. Thanks, Tom

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: advice sought on impending fzs600 purchase
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2014, 11:54:33 am »
Welcome to the forum!
Check the condition of exhaust headers/studs/nuts & collector box. A lot of the original ones will be well past their best. Many foccers replace with stainless items from Motad/Delkevic etc.  If they've been replaced all well & good-if not budget a couple of hundred quid-or better still get the price reduced accordingly.
Another thing to check: the front sprocket nut was originally 9mm thick but there have been instances of these coming loose with consequent & potentially expensive damage. The modification kit is a 12mm thick nut & washer-check if this has been done-if not do it the kit is only£2-44 from Yamaha dealer.
Generally though these bikes/engines are pretty well bulletproof just requiring usual periodic checks/servicing.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2014, 12:00:45 pm »
Meant to add-if bike is still on original(Rubber) brake hoses-they will be 10 yrs old-and should be changed. Hel braided lines available @ discounted price to foccers. Another price bargaining point- worth £90 off price of bike! And check action/condition of centre stand these can corrode making it difficult to get bike up onto stand- if rusted replace/weld repair-another bargaining point!

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2014, 12:28:07 pm »
Although a 2003 and will be one of the very last FZS600s so will have had stainless exhaust downpipes as standard, so not too much to worry about there.  Just look at the general condition, does it look like it's been looked after or has it been thrown down the road a couple of times/stood outside in all weathers, etc

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2014, 11:07:12 pm »
Although a 2003 and will be one of the very last FZS600s so will have had stainless exhaust downpipes as standard, so not too much to worry about there.  Just look at the general condition, does it look like it's been looked after or has it been thrown down the road a couple of times/stood outside in all weathers, etc
Mine is a 2003 yet the exhaust still went all rusty at the collector box, had to sand it all down and refurb and it's doing it again so no matter what age they do need to be changed to after market stainless eventually as they all rust

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2014, 12:19:27 am »
Hi All. I'm pretty new to bikes (owned a cg125 for about 5 months and a zzr600 for about 2 weeks - both back in 2012). I’m off to look at a second hand FZS600 (2003 model) tomorrow having already half purchased it, as it were, as it seemed such a good deal (£1000 and only about 14000 miles on the clock). Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? (assuming I can still pull out of the deal!) Any advice gratefully received. Thanks, Tom

Doesn't that price seem a bit on the low side?  I think I might be looking for the hidden problems. If it really only has 14000 miles on it there may not be too much to worry about but, for a godd, original, low mileage 2003 bike I'd have thought £1,500 - £2,000 would have Ben the right ball-park.

How many owners noted on the log book - do the frame and engine numbers match the logbook?

If lots of owners, I'd suspect neglect, or crashed/repaired bike.

tom77

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2014, 07:42:21 am »
Thank you all very much for your useful advice. Off to look at the bike now. Will let you know how i get on!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2014, 07:53:23 am »
good luck tom....hope its a goodun....let us know how you get on  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2014, 09:10:40 am »
On the test ride, check second gear engages cleanly and stays engaged under hard acceleration.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2014, 09:03:48 am »
Does seem very cheap. Paid £1800 for my 2003 FZS600 with 13K on clock. Was spotless though, year MOT left, with DB screen, hugger, belly pan, meta alarm and some luggage thrown in.

I guess, do check usual stuff:
Does it need new tyres? ~£100 each.
Rusted downpipes (look underneath where it goes 4=>1). £250 buys you Motad stainless pipes and can.
Forks: check for pitting, and leaky seals.
Check oil: check not milky - sign of coolant leak and possibly big trouble.
Back brakes can sometime seize and need thorough cleaning.
Check chain for stuck/rusted links, hooked teeth on sprocket etc. Budget £120 odd for new parts.
Has it been dropped: Look for scuff on sides of fairing, cracks under indicators, scuffed bar ends, clutch covers etc. Sit on it and double check fairing, clocks and lights are pointing dead straight. After a drop the fairing bracket often bends, leaving the front end skew-if and is a right pain to bend back perfectly straight again. Check mirrors are good, fold fine and firm when out. Often break in a drop and there's no good substitute for a £90 genuine new one.
Check for general wear'n'tear, seat, peg rubber, bar grips, knee scuffs on tank etc, does it look indicative of the mileage? Get the past MOT number and look up history on gov website, see if mileage on past tests syncs up. Check what advisories/fails it previous had. These can sometimes give you an idea what happened to bike and how well it's been maintained.

tom77

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2014, 05:47:32 pm »
Got the bike safely home. It runs fine and seems to be in good nick. I think I got a good deal. Just want to sort out luggage for the bike now so I can take it to Scotland.. Thanks again for all your advice.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2014, 06:14:26 pm »
We need pictures fella...........lots of them  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.