Date: 11-06-24  Time: 15:36 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 FCE problems :-(  (Read 3132 times)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
FZ1 FCE problems :-(
« on: 16 April 2014, 09:35:01 pm »

I installed the FCE tonight to my 2007 FZ1 and found it very straightforward with the help of a pictorial-guide from another forum. There were no installation problems at all. Fired the bike up and everything seemed fine, so I got my gear on and went for a ride.

Initially, it seemed okay (apart from the usua; 3000-4000 flatspot still being there), but then when I reach some traffic lights and came to a halt, I noticed that when I blipped the throttle, I got what I can only describe as a "Dual Response"!!

One blip produced the expected increase in revs, followed immediately by another slight increase!

If you blip the throttle twice in quick succession, the second produces MUCH higher increase to the revs.

As you can imagine, this makes the bike feel extremely odd out on the road. In all other respects, the motor runs fine - pulls strongly all the way through from 4500 to 11000.

It's late and dark, so I couldn't really do any more testing. Anyone got any ideas please??  I'm gutted!  :'(

Tom

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: FZ1 FCE problems :-(
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2014, 08:52:26 am »
Aaaahhhh! Just been out on another rideout this morning before work. When cold, it behaves perfectly, but when it has warmed up, that's when the issue takes effect. :-(  Anyway...

...the thing I wanted to mention is that just after installing the FCE, I had increased my tickover speed using the adjuster on the left side of the bike and so after a few miles this morning, I pulled over to the side of the road and turned it back down again. HEY PRESTO! The problem had gone! :-D

BUT, back to the FCE - has it made a difference? Well no, not really. In fact, the bike feels grumpy at slow-speed thru town. I'm going to use it over the Easter Holidays and evaluate it properly before doing anything else.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2014, 09:48:54 am »
What did you buy the FCE for? I thought they were designed to stop throttle snatch from a closed throttle below 5-6000 rpm only, and it was the 2006 bikes that were affected the worse.

If you want to improve your fueling/eliminate flat spots you will need a power commander or something similar.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2014, 10:25:05 am »
Yes pc3 or 5 to sort running out fce to sort snatch
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2014, 10:37:14 am »
Or forget the FCE and PC5 and get an ECU remap that addresses all of the issues.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2014, 11:16:20 am »
It was bought to sort out the throttle snatch due to the injectors being switched off when you back off the throttle inbetween gear changes. I bought this thing now, so it's no use talking about ECU remaps and PC5's.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2014, 05:07:49 pm »
Fce made a big difference to my 09 fz1, but it took a pc3 to bring everything together. If yours is the earlier bike with the lighter crank the problem would have been much more noticeable. I think yamaha continually improved the bike every year without necessarily telling the dealers what they had done. I know the stock 13 plate demo bike I took out from tinklers ran much better than my four year old bike when it was stock. I picked up a second hand pc3 of e bay for 145 or summat, it's prolly money you don't want to spend, but unlike a jet kit you can always take it of and get your money back when your done with it. And you can tailor your fuelling to accommodate whatever else you wanna do, including free mods like airbox mod, de cat and removing secondary butterflies, so you do get a fair amount of bang for your buck. And once you've done those bits and pieces it really does turn into summat else again.. :)