Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:33 pm

Author Topic: EXUP or not to EXUP  (Read 1126 times)

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
EXUP or not to EXUP
« on: 05 April 2014, 12:30:57 pm »
 :eek :eek :eek

however not the same as old threads of just pulling the valve out or jamming open

Arrow, Akra and GPS all do a full titanium system granted lots beer tokens and or  like rocking horse shit to get hold of
but if i were to get my seedy little paws on one  ;) ;) and my bike being fully ivanised then do these eliminate the loss at lower end you get if i just took the foccin exup out? and if these do what about the cheap sandy bikes headers although s/s are heavier

:evil :evil :evil
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: EXUP or not to EXUP
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2014, 04:34:36 pm »
Hi mate,

The Sandy Spares headers are to be avoided.  Designed to fit the Fazer but not designed to optimise gas flow, if you know what I mean.

With any of the properly designed 4-2-1 systems (ie, the Akrapovic with tapered headers like wot I have) there is still a little lag in the 3 - 3.5k rpm range that no amount of tweaking will resolve.  I don't notice it, though, in normal riding.  However, when the tacho hits 4k rpm, it's solid pull all the way to the redline.  Very noticeable gains over the standard headers from 5 - 6k upwards and the motor revs out quicker, too.

A good 4-1 system needs a horizontal merge plate in the collector to prevent any flat spots low down.  The Muzzy 4-1 system is stronger low down than the stock headers with EXUP but they're no longer in production and sold almost exclusively in the USA.

I think Ti Force used to list a full 4-1 system and that was gorgeous but like all the other good stuff, cost a bundle.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2014, 05:02:14 pm »
cheers as soon as i put exup in title i thought it would tweak your interest,  :rollin :rollin i threw the sandy one in there just to gauge as i have read thet not much diff than just jamming the exup open,

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/000887/002712/GPR-Full-Road-Legal-System-suitable-for-Yamaha-FZS1000-Fazer-2002?bf=1&rt=60&rg=60&sg=OR&sf=latest&sd=DESC

a bit much but thoughts??

also have the chance of a full arrow race set up 4-2-1  in titanium with street legal can for around 500 which i think is my preferred choice
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2014, 07:18:49 pm »
You can also get Hindle headers from PDQ, I got a set from ebay for £299, you can also keep the centre stand which I use a lot when touring with kit.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2014, 09:49:44 pm »

... a bit much but thoughts??

also have the chance of a full arrow race set up 4-2-1  in titanium with street legal can for around 500 which i think is my preferred choice

The photo in the GPR ad isn't necessarily the FZS1000 system so hard to comment.  There's an optimum length for the secondary pipes so without seeing the actual Fazer system, I can't offer much advice on these.

Arrow are good and that's an OK price.