Date: 29-05-24  Time: 07:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

29 May 2024, 07:57:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Members
  • Total Members: 7,335
  • Latest: 1w9
Stats
  • Total Posts: 325,876
  • Total Topics: 27,807
  • Online today: 681
  • Online ever: 1,160
  • (21 May 2024, 01:50:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 308
Total: 361
fazersharp
1w9
Wyld Stallyns
Unknown spider (22)
Unknown robot (20)
Google (3)
Bing (5)

308 Guests, 3 Users (50 Spiders)
fazersharp, 1w9, Wyld Stallyns, Unknown spider (22), Unknown robot (20), Google (3), Bing (5)

Author Topic: road tax?  (Read 5987 times)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
road tax?
« on: 01 April 2014, 10:30:44 am »
just taxed bike online after being sorned! ..and just noticed it can take up to 5 days to arrive? how am i fixed by law to ride it?...checked right through there site and no mention of it!! ive received a email confirming the application and again mentions the 5 days but nothing else?....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: road tax?
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2014, 10:49:58 am »
Although you will be on the system for any police ANPR stuff the law states (at the moment) that you have to display a valid tax disk, that stupidly means that if you buy it early you canot display it untill the old one runs out, ive done this a few times being a good boy buying early and then forgetting to fit and been riding around with an out of date one on the bike whilst my fridge has a valid tax disk
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2014, 11:16:09 am »
You'd have to be stopped by a really nasty old copper to get done for this, but they are out there.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2014, 11:19:47 am »
You are allowed to use the vehicle while waiting for the disc to arrive in the post, this is stated at some point through the application process...

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2014, 11:30:36 am »
Didn't think it was illegal to display the new tax disc before the old one has expired ?
Oops looks like I was wrong. It's not valid until the first day of the period.
However, you have got 14 days before you need to display the new one, as long as you ordered it before the previous expiry
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-when-renewing-your-tax-disc

« Last Edit: 01 April 2014, 11:33:58 am by mtread »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2014, 11:42:00 am »
AT least all of this malarky will be sorted when we no longer have a disk and my bike will be 200g lighter

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2014, 11:45:09 am »
Is there a date yet for them getting rid?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2014, 12:01:23 pm »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2014, 12:09:05 pm »
But im not sure if say you get your disk in august /september you will still have to display it untill september 2015 and then you will go onto the new system

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2014, 12:39:31 pm »
You'll be covered, you have purchased online so registers on data base straight away and you've done the necessaries to remove SORN (if more than just buying tax is required) which is the main issue in this case since straight tax renewal there's a 14 day window anyway.

I had a stroppy copper notice in works car park that my car had no disc I told him it must have flown out the window and his reply was to go check on the system to see if i was taxed or not, which he did and I was.
If not fully confident carry the receipt number with you .

Probably a main factor in to taking the paper disk away altogether, times are a changing :)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2014, 05:38:58 pm »
I haven't displayed a tax disc on my bike for at least 4 years.  I keep the disc in the pocket of my bike jacket just in case I get asked for it but never have.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2014, 07:00:23 pm »
Print off the receipt and carry it with you whilst waiting for the disc , I shall carry on doing that when the new system kicks in .

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2014, 08:14:58 pm »
Or when you apply for the tax disc, ask for a confirmatory email, and you can show pc plod the email on your phone.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2014, 08:30:53 pm »
I recently bought a disc on line, put it in  before the old one had expired, next day drove past a dvla tax disc anpr, never heard anything.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2014, 08:47:04 pm »
I recently bought a disc on line, put it in  before the old one had expired, next day drove past a dvla tax disc anpr, never heard anything.
Thats two different things, the ANPR is fine with a non valid paper disk as you are on the system for the ANPR. The law was about displaying a valid paper disk. ANPR reads your numberplate and not the disk (just so you know)

Its because of the computer system that the disk will no longer be needed, the law about displaying was before any computers
« Last Edit: 01 April 2014, 08:48:58 pm by fazersharp »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2014, 09:37:48 pm »
Thats two different things, the ANPR is fine with a non valid paper disk as you are on the system for the ANPR. The law was about displaying a valid paper disk. ANPR reads your numberplate and not the disk (just so you know)

Its because of the computer system that the disk will no longer be needed, the law about displaying was before any computers
I would love to get taken to court for non display in this situation. It would be some kind of retard jobs worth who'd be willing to embarrass their self in such way. If the system didn't allow for the interim period between online paying and receiving paper it wouldn't be in operation now.
Also you would only really be in trouble displaying an expired disc if it was over two weeks or maybe even a month out.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 April 2014, 10:12:25 pm »
just for the record about ten years ago I got a ticket for no tax  two years  :rollin only got a 580 fine, they let me off about another 10 offences,
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2014, 12:09:31 am »
just for the record about ten years ago I got a ticket for no tax  two years  :rollin only got a 580 fine, they let me off about another 10 offences,
Am I wrong here if you bike  or car is not taxed and you use it on the road do you not invalidate your insurance as , by the letter of the law you are not road legal.

So Fined £580 for two years non tax and they let you away with previous 10 offences ?? Now what is it to tax a bike now £65, so 12 years ago to tax a bike would have been about £25.00, £30, £35. £40,£45,£50, £55, £60, £65, £65,£65, £65. So as you say they fined you £580.00 was it really worth the effort, do you insure the Bike or are you the type of person the rest of us have to pay extra in premiums because you are by your own admission a TAX dodger and I suspect do not bother you backside with insurance cover.

Just re read your post ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO YOU GOT DONE FOR NO TAX AND FINED £580.00 A LOT OF MONEY 10 YEARS AGO, IN TODAYS MONEY ABOUT £1500.00 SO NOT SO FUCKING CLEVER EH!!!  :rollin
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2014, 12:32:04 am »
Am I wrong here if you bike  or car is not taxed and you use it on the road do you not invalidate your insurance as , by the letter of the law you are not road legal.

So Fined £580 for two years non tax and they let you away with previous 10 offences ?? Now what is it to tax a bike now £65, so 12 years ago to tax a bike would have been about £25.00, £30, £35. £40,£45,£50, £55, £60, £65, £65,£65, £65. So as you say they fined you £580.00 was it really worth the effort, do you insure the Bike or are you the type of person the rest of us have to pay extra in premiums because you are by your own admission a TAX dodger and I suspect do not bother you backside with insurance cover.

Just re read your post ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO YOU GOT DONE FOR NO TAX AND FINED £580.00 A LOT OF MONEY 10 YEARS AGO, IN TODAYS MONEY ABOUT £1500.00 SO NOT SO FUCKING CLEVER EH!!!  :rollin
No tax shouldn't invalidated insurance as long as the MoT is still valid. How can a piece of paper in a windscreen or on chain guard effect the safety of a vehicle.  Plus I've never seen it written in the policy t&c.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 April 2014, 12:52:49 am »
Just Found this site. There is no 14 day grace  :o  but there is this if tax ordered online

Since 1 September 2008, you can legally drive or keep your vehicle on the road up to five days from the end of the month without displaying a valid tax disc [/size]provided you have made your application online or by telephone [size=inherit]before[/size][/color][/size] your current vehicle tax/SORN expires.[/font]
[/color][/font]
[/size][/color]http://motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/vehicle_tax.php

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 April 2014, 11:12:14 am »
I dont think having no tax would do anything for your insurance but I wouldnt bet on the insurance company seeing it that way.
Its just an outdated law. The whole displaying a valid one is so back in the days when police cars went ne-nah and not woo woo, you could get away with saying oh its at home officer, now with the database they just check that like the ANPR does.

What I still want to know is can i take off my tax disk in october or will I have to keep it untill next time I renew in May 2015 I will still be on the database as I am now

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 April 2014, 11:13:14 am »
thanks for your replies everyone? ;) ....as advised kept the confirmation email on me phone just incase?...went out last night to local tesco and on way back picked up a big fat volvo in me mirrors!!...let him pass and no probs so think i should be be ok? :rolleyes ....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 April 2014, 11:18:56 am »
They dont check every single car/bike infront of them, just if they dont like the look of you or you are riding like you just robbed tescos

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 April 2014, 11:33:51 am »
good point!!..think most of them wouldnt like to miss the opportunity though do you?...lone biker on a superfast yellow foxeye keeping to speed limits :rolleyes ....

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 April 2014, 11:55:34 am »

What I still want to know is can i take off my tax disk in october or will I have to keep it untill next time I renew in May 2015 I will still be on the database as I am now
why would you want to remove it, does it really trouble you being there?
Not even sure I'll be arsed removing when expired and if you have a classic doesn't the tax disk form part of the charm