Date: 01-06-24  Time: 15:58 pm

Author Topic: Exup troubles  (Read 1353 times)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Exup troubles
« on: 23 March 2014, 05:54:54 pm »
Had the mighty Fazer though out after about 5 months of Scottish winter. Kept it on a battery optimiser and put a fuel stabiliser in for good measure. After about 5 minutes saw the dreaded rev needle going to 7k and back to zero continuously......bastard exup seized me thinks....went straight home nursing and cursing hoping I wouldn't do any damage.

Now question is do I try and fix myself or take it to my expensive trusted mechanic......anyone got any idea what this is likely to be and and what cost

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Exup troubles
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2014, 06:50:45 pm »
Had the mighty Fazer though out after about 5 months of Scottish winter. Kept it on a battery optimiser and put a fuel stabiliser in for good measure. After about 5 minutes saw the dreaded rev needle going to 7k and back to zero continuously......bastard exup seized me thinks....went straight home nursing and cursing hoping I wouldn't do any damage.

Now question is do I try and fix myself or take it to my expensive trusted mechanic......anyone got any idea what this is likely to be and and what cost

How hard or how easy it is depends on when it was last done, the bolts have a habit of snapping and requiring drilled out, if it comes out, then it is easy,

What I do is mix some copper slip, mixed in with graphite powder from sandpapering a joiners pencil, until the copper slip is black, then use that as a lube, once the shaft is cleaned up with sometime sand paper,

I did mine last week, but everything came out without snapping, last one I did I used a blowtorch on the bolts but still snapped one!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2014, 09:46:23 pm »
Just what Ian said.  Easy if it's just the valve itself that's nipped up through a bit of exhaust acid corrosion.  Bit of a bugga if the bolts are seized. 

If you're handy at a bit of light engineering, it's something you can sort yourself.  You might need to pull the headers to get an engineering shop involved if the bolts shear off.

Have a look right through this thread to get an idea of what could be entailed:

http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/21517

Good luck! :)

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2014, 10:55:37 pm »
What sort of a Scot are you? Start with the simple stuff before you spend a load of money on it.

Are the cables correctly adjusted? Can you take the shiney outer cover off? It is three allen head screws, no strain. If you cant, take it to shop (TITS). 
Are the cables damaged, or broken? TITS, or replace them your self. New cables are big bucks, but Venhill inner replacements are about a tenner.
If the cables seem Ok, can you bend them with your finger? - if not, they are too tight, if they move too much, they are too lose.
The adjusters run along the right hand side of the tank, just below where the tank sits on the frame bar. You want a little movement, not a lot. One method is to fully tighten both adjusters, checking the valve is centered, then loosen both half a turn.

Can you move the valve when the cables are loose? If not, it may have seized. Give it a firm tap with a hammer. Still no joy? TITS. Or try and remove the EXUP valve yourself. Three allen head screws, heat and strain. If they break, TITS, or drill them out.  If you get it out, clean and copper grease it, and put it all back together. Then pat yourself on the back and go to the pub for a well deserved beer and brag to your mates. It it all goes wrong, go to the pub and talk about tits. 

Pengui

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2014, 08:29:20 pm »
My bolts all snapped off due to no servicing by the dealer so drilled straight through casting and using 90deg pliers inserted brass bolts from the inside works a treat coupled with copper grease the outside nuts will undo easily next time .do it once every two months and it's no trouble at all

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2014, 12:22:54 pm »
Valve was free, cables were fine.....motor was sticking....now free......thank foc

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2014, 12:03:04 pm »

Valve was free, cables were fine.....motor was sticking....now free......thank foc

Can't say I've ever looked at the motor.  Didn't have a winter here in Ayrshire.  In fact I think the last week, now that spring is here is the coldest it's been.

But aye the EXUP needs attention at least once a year to make sure it doesn't stick.  Though I'm getting the feeling that mines so loose now it'll never seize.  Once you've dome it once it's easy and doesn't take long.

Get a bag of stainless cap screws out of screwfix or somewhere and cut to length.  Bin the OE screws, they are utter pants.