Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:41 pm

Author Topic: Diagnosing a noise..possible Red98 victory but he did sort my leads ;)  (Read 3785 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Well i've had fun & games trying to diagnose a strange pinging noise from my front wheel.

On the plus side i have learned how to get my front wheel off & a little bit more of my fazer is realised.

So i have this noise like a stone pinging underneath my front mudguard, usually when moving off but also when coming to a stand still, sometimes 1 ping, sometimes 2 or 3.....once im going i cant notice anything and i don't think it is speed relative...doesn't get faster...i can always hear it loudly & im quite sure i'd notice it whilst at speed & it would be pretty obvious.....so only at slow speed hmmmmmmm!

Whipped my wheel off....checked the speedo sensor dog...all looking good........took the wheel to the garage & they reckon the bearings in the wheel look good...the bike freewheels fine with no obvious brake binding & no indication either on the discs....the steering smoothely moves from lock to lock....basically the bike seems fine apart from this annoying noise.

I've put everything back on with plenty lithium grease & copper ease.....& the noise is still there.

So hard to replicate it without riding under power but tomorrow i'll try find a large & quiet hill so that i can roll down it unpowered & try get it to happen & rule out other stuff.

Got a feeling the fender might just be catching on the tyre sometimes...it is very close.....see pic.....& maybe it needs my weight on it to do so as it doesn't do it while pushing the bike.....no obvious marks on the tyre...or the fender though.

Anyway....still a good day learning some more  :faz  Stuff.....garden slabs came in handy.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2014, 07:26:06 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Diagnosing a noise.
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2014, 05:53:12 pm »
As you ride off then any little stones under your wheel will sometimes stick to the surface of the tyre and get rubbed off by the mudguard. could just be that buddy as the mudguard does look pretty close.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2014, 05:56:50 pm »
As you ride off then any little stones under your wheel will sometimes stick to the surface of the tyre and get rubbed off by the mudguard. could just be that buddy as the mudguard does look pretty close.

Chris

Ye could be Chris.....my only other thought is that maybe it isnt even a ping.....could it be like an electrical arcing noise that just sounds like a plastic ping but again theres no reason that wouldnt keep happening once i was going faster......or would the connnection into the back of the speedo make a noise like this if it was foccing up?????

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2014, 06:22:10 pm »
Chris could be right Noggy, ever since i fitted the front extended mudguard I began to wonder what the weird noises I kept hearing were, then I realised it was stones hitting it.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2014, 06:37:47 pm »
Id take it for a spin with the mudguard off, If it still pings, its not that. If it stops pinging, it almost certainly is the mudguard.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2014, 06:42:43 pm »
Id take it for a spin with the mudguard off, If it still pings, its not that. If it stops pinging, it almost certainly is the mudguard.

Ye i was gonna do that Doddsie....until i remembered the new fender is bolted on from the inside out......so i need the wheel off again.. :wall

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2014, 07:03:45 pm »
How about a ht lead arcing out.......have a look in the dark, easy to see then   ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2014, 07:24:24 pm »
How about a ht lead arcing out.......have a look in the dark, easy to see then   ;)

Nice suggestion Red...i'll check that out.....i had the leads off over a week ago when i had my stutter...wd40 cured it.....i confess....one of the leads came out of the lead cap....so i stuck it back in...but it was fine...so that's another thing to check.

Do i just start it up & rev ut then????.....should it be massively onvious???
« Last Edit: 18 March 2014, 07:26:41 pm by noggythenog »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2014, 07:27:53 pm »
Yeh...you'll see it easy in the dark...should be able to hear it aswell......dont touch though   :eek........what you waiting for....get out there now   :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2014, 07:50:39 pm »
Yeh...you'll see it easy in the dark...should be able to hear it aswell......dont touch though   :eek ........what you waiting for....get out there now   :lol

:stop :stop :stop :stop

Red......you are the man! :woot :woot :woot :woot

Far offside lead is arcing......from just above the cap across to the rubber mat protector thing.....only small but right enough it is ticking away which i've never noticed before.......so am i right in assuming that when i pulling off & putting initial load on the engine that it is enough to make this arcing much bigger & that's when i'm getting the big chaps??????

Do i just pull out the lead from the lead cap & cut an inch off then stick it back in???.

Thanks for the help....even if the arc isn't the source of the noise it is a problem all the same.

Tried taking a pic with the ipad but not enough light to see anything.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
All from the comfort of my armchair, theres only one red    :rollin :rollin  :rollin.......yep......trim 1/4 in off the end, they go hard after a few years..........screw fit, but dont over do it, just so it gets home, might be worth doing the others while your in there  ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2014, 08:58:48 pm »
What do you mean by screw fit Red???....i cant see anything that screws in.....theres the plug cap which squeezes over the plug..then theres the cable part of the lead which just push fits into the end of the cap & over the metal contact....am i missing something? :o

I've trimmed off 2 1/4 inch parts of the  lead now & popped it back into the cap.......much better but still has an arc maybe once every 10 seconds as opposed to the previous which was once every quarter of a second.

Think ill go for a spin tomorrow & see whether the original noise has mostly disappeared now but think i'll need to trim more lead off......trouble is im closing in on where the cable is double insulated....dunno if that has any relevance really....i can prob just trim it back too i suppose.

But anyway i just love it when a foc-u plan comes together.

Surely that has caused some rough running.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2014, 09:05:59 pm »
Nice work.  :)

The plug cap has a screw in it that you twist into the wires of the HT lead.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2014, 09:10:30 pm »
The rubber cap between cap and lead is to keep the moisture out , the cable is screwed on to the L shaped plug cap that fits onto the spark plug........black caps are the origanal ones , if red they will be after market ngk ones......be carefull not to trim too much off as it wont reach the plug and is moulded into the coil at the other end soo hard to replace........they can be joined but not reconmended.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2014, 09:12:15 pm »

Roger that...i went back out & did what uncle Red told me & yep i see what yous mean.....it's not like a nut & bolt thread but you just thread into the lead....like a screw into wood.

Now not arcing whatsoever plus i did the same to the next one along.

I'll do the last 2 in the morning as neighbours getting focced off with the noise & fumes.

What a day of learning today has been...cant wait for a blast in the morning. 8)

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Edit...i had no L piece...just a straight plug cap then straight lead.....think i've trimmed my maximum now so hope that lasts.

About these leads then.....aint that bad design......i mean eventually all bikes will be screwed coz folk have trimmed as much as they can & then when it arcs again you cant just replace......or is it a case of you just buy a new coil pack.....i thought there'd be like a replaceable distributor cap or something....quite strange.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2014, 09:18:32 pm by noggythenog »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2014, 09:20:09 pm »
Have a good'un matey   :D

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 March 2014, 09:28:31 pm »
Have a good'un matey   :D

You could get pissed for free with all the pints foccers are due you

Thanks again. 8)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Diagnosing a noise........another Red98 victory.
« Reply #17 on: 19 March 2014, 07:58:21 am »
Now you've done that slap some grease over the rubber cap and wire to stop any moisture getting in and corroding the wire tip again!
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 March 2014, 09:32:59 am »
Now you've done that slap some grease over the rubber cap and wire to stop any moisture getting in and corroding the wire tip again!

Thanks for the tip Punkstig.

Just got some lithium grease yesterday so i'll whack that on.

Got a few chores to do then im off out for a spin, see if it feels any smoother.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 March 2014, 09:01:50 pm »
Well........

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 March 2014, 09:40:17 am »
Well........

Aw foc...i was hoping i could keep quiet & nobody would see me...it's really windy down here...blowing a gale so it is :groan ....i'm all for getting blown off......jus not on the bike :b

All is ready to test though & i'm hoping it blows through soon with some calm afterwards.

If not then i'll get out anyway late afternoon but not sure i'd hear the noise anyway in this wind.

Listening to tick over i reckon there's still a little rough running on that cylinder but, i couldn't see any more arcs but once every 10 seconds or so there's a pronounced drop....could just need a carb balance though.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2014, 09:42:51 am »

Actually im just being a gimp aint i........i'll get me kit on......weather only gonna get worse today.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 March 2014, 11:01:02 am »

Ok just did 30 miles through the hills to get her warmed up & me cooled down brrrrrrrr.....was an experience trying to stay upright in the wind.

Firstly the leads......the bike is running much much smoother & feels more powerful.

The noise......didnt do it when i left the house, or at the junction to my street......i turned round at the top of the hills in a gravel lay-by.....& i got 1 ping.......so that could lend to the stones on fender theory.

When i got back to town i visited the local multi story car park as it is sheltered....smoothe, non stoney surface & noise travels well......did a few move offs & not a peep.....got fuel, thrashed her through the gears on the airfield & came home & not a single noise....... Tick over is now lovely.

So we defo resolved an underlying issue thanks & i think now that i know the plugs are all fine when it heats up & i go out for a decent run (hot, tyre, sticky, stones) then i'll analyse it a bit further.

[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]But thanks for all the help.[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]The bike is stonking fast now.[/size] 8) [/size][size=78%] [/size]

TonyW

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2014, 06:04:58 pm »
I reckon the noise is one of the anti-rattle springs on one of the front brakes. A slightly warped disc or gummed up disc bobbins causes the pad to rotate slightly in the caliper. look for witness marks where the top and bottom of the springs can touch the caliper.
A SLIGHT pressure on the front brake will stop it happening if it is this
« Last Edit: 20 March 2014, 06:08:13 pm by TonyW »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 March 2014, 07:08:41 pm »
I reckon the noise is one of the anti-rattle springs on one of the front brakes. A slightly warped disc or gummed up disc bobbins causes the pad to rotate slightly in the caliper. look for witness marks where the top and bottom of the springs can touch the caliper.
A SLIGHT pressure on the front brake will stop it happening if it is this

That's an interesting theory Tony.....i know foc all about brakes...haven't attempted them yet or even dismantled a set.......but what would make the noise though...i thought these springs touched the caliper anyway & were held in place by the pin.....are you saying for instance the warped bit of caliper comes round & then pushes the pad backwards which hits the spring & creates the noise?????.