Date: 15-06-24  Time: 22:39 pm

Author Topic: Pirelli Rosso 2's  (Read 1721 times)

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Pirelli Rosso 2's
« on: 16 March 2014, 11:47:39 am »
Sorry in advance for the tyre question!

These have been recommended to me as a good all weather tyre. Anyone tried them before? Opinions on grip/durability? What are your other recommendations for all weather/general purpose tyres?

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Pirelli Rosso 2's
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2014, 12:01:23 pm »
Pilot road 3
Some say...

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2014, 01:14:25 pm »
Had these on my fazer when I got it. Changed em for pilot road 2's and I think I'm now on a much better tyre.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2014, 05:32:12 pm »

Im running Rosso 2 after my dad advised me to get them......buuuut....well im not the sort to just agree with hype.....i dont particularly find them all that amazing.

Plus they're a summer dry tyre...not all weather.

& in the dry they last 3k miles & they're shot.

I do get them right over & you can see how soft they are as they are getting chewed up.

But being honest i'd say no...& ill be trying some Michellins next time.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2014, 05:41:24 pm »

Ok i was talking bollocks...theres still a bit of chicken strip to go & they are squaring off.

But i wouldnt be wanting to go wet weather on this bad boy.

Hiswitsend

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
Had road 2s on my zx6r did 9k miles in total including two track days at knockhill, including one that was abandoned half way through due to the amount of rain. They are great tyres and even gripped well during torrential rain.

Rear at 9k

Front at 9k.

« Last Edit: 16 March 2014, 06:08:21 pm by Hiswitsend »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2014, 06:22:47 pm »

That's crazy...my rosso 2 has only done about 2k.

On the basis of that testimony for the road 2 id rather save myself 3 times as much money and get them instead.

Hiswitsend

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2014, 06:52:11 pm »
Had the Rossos before then and they didn't last well and front tyre was gubbed after a short stint in track; shoulder of the front was soft so wore to the markers very quickly.

Was skint this month so opted for Avon storms, only done a couple of hundred in them, they seem ok, although tread doesn't go all the way to the edge :-\ Road2s will be getting put back on one these are done.

One of the forums I'm on did try and have a tyre thread where people posted up reviews and milage figures asking with  before and after pictures of tyres and speedometer
« Last Edit: 16 March 2014, 06:52:56 pm by Hiswitsend »

gassitt

• Local user
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Got lots of others
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2014, 04:29:50 am »
Had Rosso 2s as my last two sets and 4 sets before that were Diablos. Never got less than 6k out of a set, had no issues with squaring off,  have done most of the mileage two up and loaded round Europe in all weathers on all kinds of roads at all kinds of speeds  and can honestly say Ive never lacked grip,feel or confidence in any conditions, dry, damp or fucking wet  .Yes the Rossos cut up a bit at the edges but that shows theyre working, and the centres rip a bit after fast AutoRoute rides but don't square off

Over the years Ive used most tyres on all 5 of my Fazers so the bike is a constant and the Pirellis ( Rossos ,Diablos Angel st ) have been the tyre ive had the most confidence in followed by most flavours of Bridgestone. Worst have to be Dunlops and one set of Michelins which I binned after 100 miles .I know how my bike should feel and with those tyres on it was shit , so I wont succumb to the Michelin hype anytime soon

I an ideal world you would be able to try each one to find which suits you best and go with that one but the world aint ideal .Its cost me lots and many miles to try tyres and the conclusion Ive come to is Pirellis suit me, my bike and how I ride .They may not suit you

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2014, 09:15:03 pm »
Hmmm... This isn't going to be as straight forward as I had hoped. I was sold on the PR2's until gassit piped up in defence of the Pirellis. Most of my riding is the same commute which is mainly 40-60mph with no fast bends, so the edges won't be seeing a great deal of action. The Dunlops I've got on at the moment are horrible. Just a slightly uneven road surface makes things squirmy and unpredictable. I suppose anything else will probably seem great in comparison.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2014, 09:26:36 pm »

I dont deny Gassits experience here....why would any of us lie......but there must be something else to it here ie pressures...types of roads & riding style.

I asked the garage if my tyres would pass an mot......nope was the answer......tread less than 1mm bang in the middle of the rear......it doesnt even look or feel square either.

I have done an absolute max of 2500 miles on them.......told my dad as he recommended me them.......he says his are the same on his FZ6 & he had the same last year...but he's happy with that as he says they're the best fast riding tyre he has had.

He cant understand why i wanna try something else.

So just goes to show how much of a personal decision tyres are.