Date: 15-06-24  Time: 18:42 pm

Author Topic: Scotoiler (yes THAT old chestnut)  (Read 1515 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Scotoiler (yes THAT old chestnut)
« on: 28 February 2014, 02:39:44 pm »
Ahoy hoy!

So,  when I bought my bike I found it had a scotoiler with the Magnum HCR accessory.  It was throwing oil all over the gaff and I found that it had three problems, it was turned up way too high and it had enough crud on the sprocket that it touching the nozzle, which was turned to face the sprocket, pulling the oil out pretty much constantly.

After sorting all this I found it to be great - clean wheel and nice clean lubed chain.  However after not using it over xmas (2 weeks off) I have been gradually turning the flow meter up and up as its not oiling the chain.  It is now back at the position it was when it was previously covering my back tyre with oil.

Is this a known issue?  Anything that causes this?

I have checked the usual and it can flow oil out freely, the vacuum is ok etc.  I have not laid the bike up for winter, its been in constant use and the temps are pretty much the same as they have been all the time I have been using it.
Intentionally left blank

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Scotoiler (yes THAT old chestnut)
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2014, 03:58:00 pm »
These are some pretty basic things but;

1. Has it run out of oil?
2. Have you checked for kinks in any of the pipes?

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2014, 04:25:23 pm »
yeah there is loads of oil in both the Magnum side and the scotoiler itself and the pipes are fine.

I am going to re route it to the front sprocket though, I will clean it all out and see what happens there...  Maybe something has gone up the spout so to speak...

As I said it does let oil out but only a tiny amount.
Intentionally left blank

Nick Hood

• Official FOC-U Security Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2014, 05:23:27 pm »
Get rid of the bloody thing. Never had one never will. although the 600 I have just bought has one. How long do you want a chain to last, they are not expensive. I have always, well for the last 15 years just sprayed wd4o over the chain every week. I like my bike to look nice, dont want a load of crap all over the back wheel. I have a gold chain and sprocket on my FZ1 and the treatment I give it suits it fine. Im sure other foccers wont agree, but I have had 4 Fazers and never replaced a chain.
Buy cheap pay twice

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2014, 02:51:24 pm »
haha :)

Well its all working fine after a spruce up, must have been a bit of dirt in the spiggot...

To be honest Nick I have never had an oiler before, this one came on the bike but as its a work horse and being used through winter its nice to have the chain oiled (barring this hicup).  They are a bit of a love/hate thing and everybody has their own opinion - I am sure some people would be aghast at the use of WD40 as a chain oil.  I like it now I am used to it.

Cheers
Intentionally left blank