Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:29 am

Author Topic: Sat Nav Mount  (Read 8089 times)

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Sat Nav Mount
« on: 18 February 2014, 08:49:11 pm »
Hi all, been a while since I have been on due to various things going on in my life and not having chance to get on-line much.

Sold my 1999 FZS600 Fazer last week and picked up a low mileage 2007 FZ6 S2 on Thursday and got a question about how various people have mounted sat navs. I still have an old Garmin Quest with a ram mount, does the job for me and been able to fit it to every bike I have had as it clamps around the handle bars, this how ever is a problem as the FZ6 S2 has the center of the bars covered with a cover that is bolted in place with the handle bar mounts.

I've got heated grips fitted with the controls on the left, can't really go that side anyway as it would block the speedo view and not really got any room on the right so was looking for something to fit flat in the center of the bars, I know the ram mount does a square fitting with a ball on but it's not big enough.

I have had a look round on-line and seen some Givi and Buffalo bags that's use Velcro straps, I went to a local shop today and tried the Buffalo but it was about 2 inches too wide and seemed a little large being probably 5 inches deep.

I would like to fit the sat nav in the center of the bars on the flattish piece with the Yamaha logo on it, this is what I tried today but was slightly too big:

Wondered if anyone had any suggestions on mounting options or how they mounted sat navs on the S2?

Thanks

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
Re: Sat Nav Mount
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2014, 09:18:58 pm »
The earlier fz6 does not have this brace thing in the middle, just clamps, don't know if it would be possible to change yours back to clamps and give you more bar to attach your ram mount onto.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2014, 09:58:46 pm »
Never thought to check that Robby, have to have a look tomorrow and see what is under there and if it's possible. All my other bikes where fine, only one I had with a brace or whatever it's official title is was an Aprilia 660 but that had plenty of space on the bars.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2014, 11:35:09 pm »
Will try and get a picture of my bars at lunchtime tomorrow if it will help you.

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Sat Nav Mount
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2014, 01:10:44 pm »
I use a ram ball that replaces one of the bolts, m8 one, mine came from a teleferiser mount, that uses a rubber bung in those bikes with hollow steering stems,

Replacing the clamps would probably work out cheaper though!

This is a picture of it on my old bike, but it's the same fitting the fz6

« Last Edit: 19 February 2014, 01:20:04 pm by Ianboydsnr »

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2014, 04:18:28 pm »
Thanks Robby, did a little looking round last night and found a Givi bag but not had chance to measure it compared to the Buffalo or have a look at my bars. Did find someone with the same mounting as mine who had connected it to the wing mirror but looked a bit odd, found some interesting home made mounts as well.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2014, 04:25:27 pm »
Thanks for the picture Ian, out of all the fittings I have seen the one on your bike is a first for me looks like an ideal set up that would suit me so something to look into. Failing that was considering asking an engineering friend of mine if he could take the ball part of the handlebar mount and create something to mount it on so the ball mount is upright or even create a one off piece for me.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2014, 11:40:31 pm »
here is a piccy of the bars on an 05 FZ6 half fairinged model, hope it helps,

« Last Edit: 20 February 2014, 12:29:27 am by robby boy »

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2014, 09:45:34 am »
You might be able to use one of these, I did on my FZS
« Last Edit: 20 February 2014, 09:47:36 am by DryRob »
thou shalt not kick

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2014, 12:46:45 pm »
Thanks for the picture Robby, same layout as mine with exception to the brace part on the handlebar mounts and the speedo/rev counter layout so might be the same under it although someone seems to have solved the problem here with a link to the ball.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2014, 12:51:11 pm »
Thanks Rob, had a look at the link and that is what I have at the moment that I am having problems with. I have the controls for the heated grips on the left and the right side the brake fluid reservoir gets in the way to fit the clamp although mounting on the left anyway blocks part of the view of the speedo so had to rule that out straight away.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2014, 12:57:45 pm »
Thanks for the link Ian, seems to be exactly what I am looking for I liked the look of it when you posted the picture so fitting one of them should do the job nicely and a lot less cost compared to some of the Givi and Kappa bags I was looking at. All I got to do now is drop a bolt out and measure what length I need, still not got round to having a look at the handle bars since posting been a hectic few days.

ukdiceman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2014, 01:46:37 pm »
I'm guessing you've sorted this by now, and I know mines not an S2, so I'm not sure how different the fairing mounts are. This is how I mounted my Garmin Nuvi.

I bought a Garmin size ball mount(not RAM size) from a guy in America which fits the standard Garmin car cradle, my mate then made me an adapter which attaches the ball mount to one of the inner fairing mounting points.

Here's how it looks:

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2014, 04:14:56 pm »
thats neat mush  :)
Its just a ride

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2014, 08:00:36 pm »
Yeah is sorted, ended up just buying the Buffalo holder as I found it on-line cheap well less than half the price of the shops so decided just to use that as I don't use the sat nav that much and the Buffalo you can just about get a 5" screen in there. Was going to go for the M8 ball originally but then changed my mind, that's a nice set up you have diceman and the fairing mounts are slightly different on the S2 but would have still been able to manage it I think.