Date: 01-06-24  Time: 19:00 pm

Author Topic: Whats it worth?  (Read 3079 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Whats it worth?
« on: 02 January 2014, 03:24:06 am »
I know everything is relative, and essentially the answer is always going to be "whatever someone wants to pay for it", but I'm looking for opinions of what roughly my Foxeye 600 is worth..

Its Blue, on an 02 with about 15k miles on the clock, well maintained, only did 500 miles since ive fitted 2 new pilot Road 2's, and changed the filters and oil and fitted iridium plugs.

Ive also changed the front and rear pads in the last 500 miles for Ferodo platinum pads, and Ive changed the brake fluid for fresh ferodo stuff as well (as well as fitting goodridge braided hoses all round).

Its got a few addons that came with the bike when I bought it too:

colour coded hugger
fender extender
blingy rad cover
crash bars (unmarked)
scottoiler
changed indicator covers to clear when i bought it (still have orange covers)

Ive also got a renntec rack, although this is not fitted at the minute (I took it off in favour of the standard grab handle).

finally, I changed the number plate when I bought it (a legal one!), as the old one was a bit tatty for me.

The only bad points, are that the chain is a bit rusty, so I will probably change the chain and sprockets before I sell it, unless I can clean up the chain suitably enough (its just surface rust - but really winds me up and I want a gold chain :o). And also that the engine is a bit tatty and could be doing with the black being done again (which I may well do if time and weather permits me.)

The bike is totally standard mechanically, and the downpipes are still in good condition (although, toying with changing those too - stainless ones look nicer :o:o).

So there you have it, whats she worth roughly do you reckon as I reckon I will sell her in the next 2-3 months before buying an FZS1000 shortly thereafter?

heres a couple of pics to give you an idea of condition (although this was before the brake pads/lines and tyres were changed)

Obviously I would like to get as much as I can for it, but I dont want to advertise it when the time comes for an unrealistic figure and have it for an age before it sells.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2014, 03:25:34 am by mickvp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Whats it worth?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2014, 04:26:44 am »
I had a £1600-£1800 figure in my head until you started on the bad points.
The thing is we all know now that you can pick these bikes up in good nick at bargain prices simply because of the age of them, so unless they're spotless then the price just tumbles down, which is a bit disheartening when you know the bike works fine, but it's just a fact.
Realistically the combined cost of a new chain/sprockets and shiny new downpipes are gonna be touching £300 which is gonna make a dent too.
The engine may be worth just touching up with a spray can to smarten it up a bit.

So with those 3 things done i think the above price could still apply if sold privately, particularly as you have low mileage on your side, but obviously you have to take into consideration money spent as well.

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=used_bikes&no=2&make=Yamaha&bikeid=87&yearplate=2002%2F02&x=32&y=4
« Last Edit: 02 January 2014, 02:14:45 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2014, 10:09:34 am »
If you change the chain and sprockets and other little bits and bobs you won't get that money back on the sale price, so don't bother.
In other news a mate of mine is to do his direct access within the next few months and I'm pushing him to a foxeye, I agree with the figure Darsi gives and I'd be happier for my mate to buy from someone on here.
Send me a message when you look at letting her go!
Some say...

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2014, 11:17:25 am »
Looks almost identical to mine when I bought it. That was Sept 2013, mine had 13K on clock, 2003 model, totally spotless, 9 months MOT left, 6 month tax, matching belly pan instead of bars and no rack. I paid £1800.

FWIW, stainless downpipes aren't that much, paid about £250 for pipes and Venom end can. Fitted myself, pretty straight forward. But agreed with PunkStig, probably not worth doing to sell it, it may sweeten the deal and hasten the sale, but you won't get your money back.

You didn't mention how much tax/mot is left on it. A long MOT will probably raise the value more than new pipes.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2014, 02:57:05 pm »
I think there is a few months tax and test on it, but I will stick a full years of both on prior to the sale.

The sprockets are in good Nick, as is the chain (the running part of the chain is not rusty, just the faces) just me being picky.

The figure darrsi quoted does seem about right to my mind too, I just wasn't sure if I was being unrealistic.  Thanks chaps.

I still think I'll at least take the chain off and give it a good soak and scrub overnight to lift the filth off :)

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2014, 09:42:02 pm »
I paid in and around €2000 (I can't remember exactly  :( ) for mine in March this year and is extremely similar to yours. Granted it is in €'s and in Ireland but that would be the ball park figure I would put on yours (if it was sold over here).

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2014, 10:21:07 pm »
Out of interest, how do you plan to take the chain off?
Isn't it a lot of work just to clean it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2014, 10:29:28 pm »
I assume it's a normal split link chain? I've not looked though, I won't be taking it off to clean ot if it means taking the swingarm off etc :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2014, 11:06:14 pm »
I assume it's a normal split link chain? I've not looked though, I won't be taking it off to clean ot if it means taking the swingarm off etc :lol

Soft link, not split link, blimey where have you been, the 80's?  :lol

I didn't know you could still get them for bigger bikes (i did just find them on Flebay), but to me it's just a generally bad idea.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2014, 11:48:40 pm by darrsi »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2014, 11:08:38 pm »
My last big bike was actually a 1980 model, yes :o :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2014, 11:24:46 pm »
My last big bike was actually a 1980 model, yes :o :lol

After a little research there does appear to be a mixed opinion on split or soft links, although saying that i don't think i've ever heard anyone on here mention that they've ever used a split link?

I wouldn't ever use one personally, 'cos even though it's not got any pressure on it it's still "the weakest link".