Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:35 am

Author Topic: Optimate Charger. Any good?  (Read 6695 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Optimate Charger. Any good?
« on: 22 November 2013, 01:47:33 pm »
Hiya fellas,

As per title, are these any good & a worthwhile investment.

The last few days running up to London & back with the Tiger, I've noticed it getting that little bit slower to turn over each start - to work and from work.

I always run with the headlights on (dual H4's) and have also been using the heated grips each way. Now the battery is about 14 months old & it's charging at 14Vdc so alternator all good.  The battery is made by GS and is a CB14L-A2 (short notice buy from local KTM dealer) which meets my CCA of 140A.

Question is - is it time for a new battery or should I be plugging into an Optimate or equivalent every night.

Don't want to buy a new battery @ £50 odd when I can get the below for less money. Orrrrrrrr did I just buy a cheap shite battery instead of a Yuasa?

http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/motorcycle-battery-chargers/optimate-battery-chargers/optimate-chargers/new-optimate-3-battery-charger-optimiser.html

Any advice as always is much appreciated
« Last Edit: 22 November 2013, 01:55:30 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Optimate Charger. Any good?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2013, 02:31:59 pm »
I wouldn't be without mine, any time either bike is parked up for more than a week or so, it goes on the optimate - essential over winter, the cold just kills batteries, especially if it's got an alarm to power.

But you use your bike everyday, yes? A long run?

Does sound like your battery may be on the way out...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2013, 02:39:57 pm »
I use my bike daily, with headlights and heated grips on, and i've had my battery a good few years now without issues.
Only time i'll give it a boost is when i'm back on the bike after snow has sidelined me, and i don't really do long runs either, so with that in mind i would hazard a guess the battery is showing it's true colours.  :\

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2013, 03:09:17 pm »
Buy a Yuasa. I bought cheaper batteries for my Daytona 675's and they both only lasted about a year and would run down quite quickly when the bikes weren't ridden.

I have an Optimate and it's ace.

When you get a new battery make sure you put it on CONTINUOS charge for 48 hours. This will ensure you get the most life out of it. Ignore it if the seller tells you it's already charged.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2013, 10:25:10 pm »
Bought my Optimate 2002 & its kept countless batteries trickle charged-should say-numerous bikes-only had to buy one new battery-that was on the Gen 1 thou which had an immobiliser that drained  battery in no time at all. Keeping battery fully charged means less risk of damage to starter clutch. One of the best £40 ever spent. :lol

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2013, 10:30:25 pm »
Worth every penny.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2013, 11:00:34 pm »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2013, 12:56:02 am »
Go to an auto electricians and get them to test battery and earths.
Or perhaps if battery not that old  it's in warranty
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2013, 06:26:53 am »
i got one of those ctec things off ebay!!..seems ok?...used it over 3yrs ..

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2013, 08:56:09 am »
Thanks for all the advice fellas, much appreciated.

Have checked all earths/connections and the bike never gets laid up for more than a week at a time (holiday). 100 mile daily trip!

Sounds like a new battery AND an Optimate - just to top it up over the weekend.

Going for this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motobatt-AGM-Battery-MB10U-CB10LA-2-CB10L-B2-12N10-12N114-/300990498010?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 as it has cracking write ups!

Cheers again  :thumbup

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2013, 09:36:33 am »
Hi Frosties, I got a Motobatt over a year ago now and have had an optimate even longer, would'nt be without either now. Battery is great with no issues as yet and not used the charger  on it yet and its on a 97 Diversion 600 with heated grips used when its cold.

Buck

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2013, 11:40:14 am »
Hi Frosties, I got a Motobatt over a year ago now and have had an optimate even longer, would'nt be without either now. Battery is great with no issues as yet and not used the charger  on it yet and its on a 97 Diversion 600 with heated grips used when its cold.

Buck
...+1...good choice of batt there ;) ....after 2yrs still trys to spin engine out of frame :rolleyes  better than yuasa!!...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2013, 11:42:26 am »
I use a yamaha branded but made by CTECK who also supply jag bently and the like with the same charger/ optimiser it will charge and recover an otherwise dead battery/cell on bikes or car,   the yam branded one I have is this one I think  http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs5.0.php there is a cheeper one just for bikes but I thought this would be usefull for my car too.

EDIT TO SAY
The company says that -------- restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging,
And not as I put it
optimiser it will charge and recover an otherwise dead battery/cell on bikes or car
« Last Edit: 23 November 2013, 01:05:38 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2013, 12:53:49 pm »
I use a yamaha branded but made by CTECK who also supply jag bently and the like with the same charger/ optimiser it will charge and recover an otherwise dead battery/cell on bikes or car,   the yam branded one I have is this one I think  http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs5.0.php there is a cheeper one just for bikes but I thought this would be usefull for my car too.

I deal with a lot of batteries on a daily basis at work and i can promise you that if a battery is on its way out then no amount of recharging or gadgetry will bring it back to life!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2013, 01:10:25 pm »
I have added an edit to my post.
I spose what I said is what they want you to think.
Im still happy with it tho as I thought I had compleatly deaded my 14 year old battery last year whilst trying to start it, as it was down to very low volts and on  reading this forum back then I understood that a battery that low could not be recovered but the charger brought it back to life and so far so good on a 15 year old battery

Here is that story that the OP may find helpful http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1403.msg10194.html#msg10194   and here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1402.msg10180.html#msg10180 I did say it did not kick into float mode --but it did after leaving longer, so for me it seemd to do the trick
« Last Edit: 23 November 2013, 01:21:20 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 November 2013, 01:39:34 pm »

Buck
...+1...good choice of batt there ;) ....after 2yrs still trys to spin engine out of frame :rolleyes  better than yuasa!!...

That'll do for me fellas! Will still get an Optimate............just to try and outspend the wife  :lol