Date: 16-06-24  Time: 09:15 am

Author Topic: main diff's FZS / FZ1  (Read 7608 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
main diff's FZS / FZ1
« on: 13 November 2013, 05:58:48 pm »
At the risk of being labelled an idiot can some one explain the main differences between the FZS and the FZ1. Would an FZS be better suited for an older rider, as in this old fart!! Would the riding position be kinder than the FZ1.
I currently have an FZ6 N S2 which is fun. I recently came from 1000cc bike (Z1000SX) and to be honest I am missing the extra grunt. I was wondering if the riding position on a Gen 1 FZS would be more comfortable than either the FZ1 or the FZ6. Am I right in saying that both the big boys are under 200kgs in weight?
Ah! use google you lazy git!!!
Just curious, as I am going over to Ireland next week and there is a real beautiful looking FZS there I will be having a look at, I have read the comments on the lads post and yes it is expensive but if it is quality could be tempted, any advice would be appreciated, not about the bike I am going to look at but which one would be better suited for (A) my old bones, (2) I thought my touring days were behind me but still have the bug.
Thanks in advance
Lew 
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: main diff's FZS / FZ1
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2013, 06:24:39 pm »
To sum it up:

FZS 1000 - Sports tourer, with the emphasis split between the two. It's big and comfortable, is very practical with decent mpg, can be made to handle pretty well with suspension upgrades, and can have an already strong engine made even stronger with an Ivan's kit.

FZ1 - Sports tourer, with the emphasis put more firmly on sports. It's better handling as stock, and has a revvier engine with a bit more poke. However, it's got a smaller tank, uses more petrol, and is defininitely less comfortable as standard.

All depends what you want really, but if you want to go touring I'd probably go with the FZS 1000, it's more comfortable and has a better tank range!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2013, 08:12:03 pm »
Much as I love gen 1s Lew, is weight going to be an issue? As Joe says, the gen 1 is definitely the better touring bike, but is fairly heavy in it's own right, before you go loading it up with gear. Although having said that, I have a dodgy shoulder and arm and manage ok. Gen 2 for a lighter, easier to handle bike I would say. You can put hard luggage on the 2 I believe, but the seat won't be as comfortable as the 1 either. Usual thing, find one of each that you can test ride.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2013, 10:19:56 pm »
Gen ones are ludicrously cheap for such a fantastic bike, gotta be worth trying one, even if you end up wanting a gen 2 eventually, you'll never regret running the gen 1. I'd be perfectly happy with either

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2013, 12:04:09 am »
Much as I love gen 1s Lew, is weight going to be an issue? As Joe says, the gen 1 is definitely the better touring bike, but is fairly heavy in it's own right, before you go loading it up with gear. Although having said that, I have a dodgy shoulder and arm and manage ok. Gen 2 for a lighter, easier to handle bike I would say. You can put hard luggage on the 2 I believe, but the seat won't be as comfortable as the 1 either. Usual thing, find one of each that you can test ride.
Hi Nick checked out on google and it is giving the FZS at 208kgs and the FZ1 at 199kgs do not know if those are dry weights. My SX was 228kgs and with the top box and panniers likely getting up to the 245kgs. That was getting to be a concern when on an incline say at a road junction. The FZ6 is coming in at 190kgs I think but can move that around okay. I love the wee fazer but to be honest with me being a big lad(fat git) I really would like to get back onto a 1000cc bike again.
Thanks to all who have posted replies.
Lew

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2013, 12:10:37 pm »
Hmmmmm, you're flying over next week then to look at the FZS1000 that's in the For Sale section!! Just looked at it and I love it - good luck, will be a nice buy.

Just going to check flight availability for this weekend  :D
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2013, 02:06:21 pm »
Hmmmmm, you're flying over next week then to look at the FZS1000 that's in the For Sale section!! Just looked at it and I love it - good luck, will be a nice buy.

Just going to check flight availability for this weekend  :D
having a peak at the said bike , but sadly the reason for the trip is to visit my mate who is in a poor state of health. looking at the said bike will help lift my spirits some what. But looking at the photo's it looks just fantastic but bloody expensive for the year, we will see as if it is a keeper what the hell, now just have to convince her that has to be obeyed.  :lol

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2013, 07:15:15 pm »
If it's the one on this very forum (next thread down) it looks fantastic but will you be so fussy in keeping it that way, if the answer is no then it's a lot of money to spend on something that will go downhill, in which case you may as well buy something of a lower standard at a much lower price, it will take a lot more than a quick wash over to keep it that clean if you are actually going to ride it.
If on the other hand you have the time and motivation to keep it in that condition and the cash spare go for it.
I've never ridden an FZ1 but find the FZS1000 very comfy and great with an ivans kit (R6 shock next...).
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2013, 07:30:53 pm »
If you're worried about the weight, MT09.... very light, very torquey, good on fuel.. and pretty cheap at the moment. I really must get a test ride on one to see how it stacks up against the mighty Gen 1.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2013, 09:38:10 pm »
Amen to that AyJay, the bikes a cracker!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2013, 07:26:33 pm »
I have to agree with some of the other posts; is it worth paying top-dollar for an immaculate Gen1 unless you're buying it to keep in that condition?
I think I'd rather go for one that has had all the mods (Suspension, Ivan's, braided lines etc.) done, they come up fairly regularly on here.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2013, 07:47:10 pm »
In my mind, the gen 1 is a perfect bike for a lot of use. It's great to see such a beautiful example, but it would be no good to me. I'd only ride it! It'd be nice to know there's always one perfect example somewhere, but have to agree with BMCfaz - perfect really means one that's modded to your own taste.
MT09 is not for the same kind of use as a gen 1. I would refrain from direct comparisons, as it's clear just from reading about the MT that it's aimed at a different audience. I'm not slating it - sounds like a great bike, but very different to the Fazer. As usual, depends on what you want from a bike.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2013, 08:51:07 pm »
The gen II also does everything too, it just depends what you want out of a bike.

Gen 1 are good all rounders best described as a mini fj.

Gen2 are basically a comfy R1 with flat bars.

They both tour, scratch, 2 up, and commute, they just do it slightly differently.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2013, 04:47:05 pm »
Gotta agree with the other blokes about buying a minty bike for top dollar...unless you intend to polish it more than ride it you will end up with a bike you daren't use for eight months if the year. Only commenting onnit because I've made that same mistake. Did a similar thing with my first bandit, early model on a p reg. used it relentlessly, then when winter came got bored so polished swinging arm etc etc, then shit myself about using it whenever the weather looked dodgy and ended up flogging it to buy another stocker! If you want a showpiece fazer thou a mint low miles bike is Oakley dokely, but they are far too good a bike not to use lots, you won't be able to help yourself. If I went back to a gen one it would be a case of waiting til one came up on here with the ivans/ r6 shock and possibly r1 front end, so I could just buy it and ride it without spending any more dosh. My last gen 1 had forty odd thou up, and ran as good as new, the engines tarnish a bit on the outside, but inside there still all good  :)
With the greatest of respect to the bloke selling the mint gen one or anyone else flogging one for top dollar, once they get to that money your too close to a gen 2. I paid. £4600 for a 09 mint gen two, with ABS and 2800 miles on the clock, from a dealer. Delivered to my door. Meaning I can use it loads in all weathers and bang plenty of miles onnit and not worry about it. Now the cold weather is here they will be even cheaper. Your choice old son  :)
« Last Edit: 16 November 2013, 04:51:55 pm by ogri48 »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2013, 05:08:45 pm »
Hey Lew, ive just started a similar thread on here coz ive got a right old itch that i just cant reach......yet!!!!

Looks to be lots o solid advice here & im glad i asked coz for me personally it looks like gen2 is most suitable & i need to get working some overtime ASAP so i can have one.....even though i only ride in summer & jus for fun & ive got a car & i dont ride to work...........i NEED one!!!! :lol

Im young & daft & only got a few broken bones so i think I could handle the weight of any bike but for me i want something that handles like a posh tart & these gen 2's seem like the Gillette Mach 3 turbo of the fazer world in that respect.

A couple hundred miles in a day is enough for me..if ive chewed the fat..had a bacon buttie, took a couple photos & gone home for a few beers then thats all i ever want in a bike day out.....maybe if you do more like 300 to 400 miles a day then the gen 1 would be better & comfier.

Gen1 still looks nicer though....imo of course :b
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2013, 05:40:33 pm »
I've had an awful lot of bikes since passing my test in '77. My gen 2 is the best bike I've owned IMHO buddy, bar none. I don't think they look all that, and they are very basic compared to other bikes like the z1000,  but as a riders tool they are the mutts, and lightly tuned they are far more raw, aggressive and yet easy to ride. Like the gen one, you really can get the best out of the 1000cc motah, unlike some other bikes

johnfoxllb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Harley Davidson Breakout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2013, 05:46:41 pm »
Gen 1 I say!!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2013, 05:59:32 pm »
Gen 2 looks minty with a belly pan

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2013, 06:03:04 pm »
I've had an awful lot of bikes since passing my test in '77. My gen 2 is the best bike I've owned IMHO buddy, bar none. I don't think they look all that, and they are very basic compared to other bikes like the z1000,  but as a riders tool they are the mutts, and lightly tuned they are far more raw, aggressive and yet easy to ride. Like the gen one, you really can get the best out of the 1000cc motah, unlike some other bikes

Mr Ogri

You're not a petite foccer......how compressed are the hamstrings on the gen2 & how does space compare to my 600...im not too concerned about reach as bars can be changed & of course rear sets can be changed too but as standard i take it it is quite comfy?

On the 600 ive jacked it up & ive adjusted the brake lever all the way down to the limit but it's still just not a relaxed position...doesnt stop me but im just being a bit fussy to establish if things on a gen 2 could be better
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2013, 07:17:36 pm »
Noggy ,come and try mine  :) ,,,,,then write about the Gen2
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 November 2013, 09:30:55 pm »
That bike in for sale section is lovely and if your going to stick it in a glass box than fine, but if your intention is going to be riding it, than your going to want to change the rear shock, sort the front forks, its now well over £5k and that's a lot of wonga for that.

I brought a totally mint stock gen 1 with 6k on the clock for £2400, it was off a forum member and he brought it new and it had been ivanised by mike, it was totally stock and immaculate.

I than turned it into this.

It was minta than mint once i finished I'm OCD perfectionist, i think it had 11k on the clock when I sold it last year for £3850.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2013, 09:32:11 pm by cable tie »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2013, 09:37:53 pm »
Finally I've admitted to myself that I can't keep mine looking spotless forever. It's going to get used, a lot! I'll do my best to keep it reasonably clean, but it's going to pick up battle scars - stone chips, the odd luggage scrape (although I do my best to protect it from this) etc. Actually, I don't think I could ever keep any bike that I wanted in mint condition. What the foc would I want a bike for if I couldn't/daren't ride it?! I'll leave that to museums.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 November 2013, 11:41:47 pm »
Nick you can protect it stone chips quite easily, ventureshield i did all my painted bits and the carbon, i buy it in rolls than make card templates than cut the shapes out.

This is a shaft drive I've covered you can just see the out line.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2013, 11:53:06 pm »
Nick you can protect it stone chips quite easily, ventureshield i did all my painted bits and the carbon, i buy it in rolls than make card templates than cut the shapes out.

This is a shaft drive I've covered you can just see the out line.

...yes cable tie it is very good !! my fjr1300 had it allover when i first got it and it kept that mint ;)

johnfoxllb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Harley Davidson Breakout
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 November 2013, 07:46:25 am »
I have used ventureshield on a few bikes and it is excellent.

I am considering putting the specific kit on mine and then buying a roll to protect the belly pan.

Highly recommended stuff:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/541365/Bike-Care/Bodywork-Protection/Venture-Shield/Paint-Protection-Film

It would be a pity to pick up a stone chip now after 10 years :lol

« Last Edit: 17 November 2013, 08:32:54 am by johnfoxllb »