Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:40 pm

Author Topic: Fixing puncture of a ZR rated tyre  (Read 9220 times)

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
Fixing puncture of a ZR rated tyre
« on: 10 November 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
Just picked a puncture on the rear tyre of my Pilot Road 2s. A screw nicely embedded. Just checked the website o the tyre place I normally go to get tyres to see his prices for repairing punctures to find he doesn't repair ZR rated tyres. Is this normal? I had one repaired a couple of summer's ago on Pilot Road 2s at a different place.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing puncture of a ZR rated tyre
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2013, 08:31:14 pm »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2013, 09:15:26 pm »
According to Crafty Plugger's website it is more of a 'get you home' fix rather than something more permanent. Have you had one in a tyre for a longer term fix?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2013, 09:18:26 pm »
The fix lasts for the life of the tyre.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2013, 09:28:53 pm »
They're basically just covering their own arse, which is fair enough when you think about it.
When i thought i had a puncture the other day i phoned my mechanic and he was willing to repair my tyre for me, but fortunately it turned out to be a flesh wound so i didn't need it done.  :) 

I don't think it's illegal, but these are the recommended guidelines, so it's a discretionary thing.

BS. AU 159/f. The damage limits of BS. AU 159/f are:A tyre must not be repaired if it has any of the following:Damage larger than 6mm in tyres up to and including 'J' speed rating.
  • Damage larger than 3mm in tyres above 'J' speed rating up to and including 'V' speed rating.
  • Damage not reasonably perpendicular to the casing.
  • A speed rating above 'V'.
  • Ply separation or local removal of inner lining and/or ply cutting by penetrating object (secondary damage).
  • Tread separation.
  • Broken bead wire or bead damage.
  • Damage due to under inflation in service.
  • Sidewall damage.
  • A penetration occurring outside an area of the tread, measured about the centreline, which is 50% of the nominal section width of the tyre.
  • The maximum number of repairs is not to exceed:2 repairs per tyre in tyres up to and including 'J' speed rating (100km/h / 62mph). Patches must not overlap.
  • 1 repair per tyre in tyres above 'J' speed rating up to and including 'V' speed rating (240km/h / 150mph).
  • No repairs in tyres with speed ratings above 'V'.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2013, 09:32:10 pm by darrsi »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2013, 09:42:26 pm »
I've had ZR rated tyres repaired with mushroom type plugs (permanent) and not had any problems. Last time was a few years ago tho, maybe things have changed  :rolleyes
I also recommend Punctureseal/safe (and still can't remember exact foccin name!  :lol ) for pre-treatment. Rated to 150mph and had loads of good feedback from customers.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fixing puncture of a ZR rated tyre
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2013, 10:32:31 pm »
Darsi .... Have u ever used the crafty plugger? Do u know what ur talkin about, i do. I have been usin it for 10 yrs mate. Now i tellin u it lasts the life of the tyre. If u wanna pontificate over somethin u never used then go a head. But maybee u shud order one and check it out fer yerself first. I wouldn't advocate something on this site (friends) that wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2013, 10:33:44 pm by Exupnut »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2013, 11:01:18 pm »
Darsi .... Have u ever used the crafty plugger? Do u know what ur talkin about, i do. I have been usin it for 10 yrs mate. Now i tellin u it lasts the life of the tyre. If u wanna pontificate over somethin u never used then go a head. But maybee u shud order one and check it out fer yerself first. I wouldn't advocate something on this site (friends) that wouldn't work.

What are you chatting about, i didn't say a word about the Crafty Plugger?  :rolleyes

And anyway, my dad and 2 brothers were all tyre fitters, that method has been around for decades, i know exactly what it's all about thanks very much!

I just pointed out the guidelines given out by tyre manufacturers about repairing tyres with a high speed rating, and i can understand their point of view because you will have a weak point in the tyre.
It personally wouldn't bother me plugging a tyre at all though, as i said earlier.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 November 2013, 05:28:31 am »

They're basically just covering their own arse, which is fair enough when you think about it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2013, 06:31:06 am »

I know what i said, it was me that wrote it.
That was in response to the OP when he said "...Just checked the website o the tyre place I normally go to get tyres to see his prices for repairing punctures to find he doesn't repair ZR rated tyres..."
Hence the reason i did a search to find out why he refused?
« Last Edit: 11 November 2013, 06:33:20 am by darrsi »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2013, 10:27:58 am »
I've used the stringy type plugs a few times and they always worked.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2013, 01:11:19 pm »
I've used the stringy type plugs a few times and they always worked.

They do work, and they're even a little bit easier to use now as before you used to have to cover them in glue as well, but no need now for any messiness.  :)

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 November 2013, 01:28:23 pm »
CALM DOWN Exupnut he was only being helpful.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 November 2013, 03:32:25 pm »
Hey darsi... Sorry mate...i didnt realise u were talkin about the original post. I didnt know what OP was either and I'm scrolling down thinkin "who the fucks OP? I can't see his post" but I got ur drift now.

I will now.......

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2013, 03:36:01 pm »
Hey darsi... Sorry mate...i didnt realise u were talkin about the original post. I didnt know what OP was either and I'm scrolling down thinkin "who the fucks OP? I can't see his post" but I got ur drift now.

I will now.......

No worries matey  ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2013, 03:54:53 pm »

I will now.......

No worries matey  ;)
....ya didnt say that earlier darrsi?...when you said you where going round to his and bash is fkn head in with his violin!!!!....if he didnt say sorry :lol :lol :lol

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2013, 01:23:01 pm »
Got the puncture repaired for £12 at a local bike tyre place. Seems ok. Let's hope it holds out. Gave me chance to clean the inside of the swing arm that was caked in a few year's worth of oil whilst I had the wheel out.