Date: 10-06-24  Time: 21:02 pm

Author Topic: Patio laying  (Read 1403 times)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Patio laying
« on: 01 November 2013, 03:47:43 pm »
Hi guys

Ive half layed the 2nd patio in my garden (its a three tiered steep garden). i layed half of it using 600X600 Ryton Riven slabs on a strong wet bed (full bed, not spots)

I then hurt my back and couldn't lay any more. Then i hurt my ankle...so couldn't carry on with it.  :rolleyes   the last 2 weeks have been wet and just as it was starting to dry up....its rained again!

My problem: well its getting colder, cant be that far off frosts now. I want to lay the rest when the ground has dried out, but mortar doesnt really like frost does it??? ive done bits of repair work in winter before and always covered the work with blankets / plastic sheeting to protect the the mortar from the frost.

I know you can get additives for the mortar & the whole UK building trade doesn't stop for winter. So is it a case of using these additives in the mortar and covering the patio up once laid or are there other tricks that i'm missing???

Thanks

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Patio laying
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2013, 04:04:26 pm »
I've been block paving my front garden and pavingexpert.com has been invaluable. Bound to find the answer there

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2013, 05:21:36 pm »
Just make sure you get the bodies down at night before anyone sees you :pokefun

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2013, 05:31:16 pm »
Hi phil
Mortar will be Ok down to minus 3 using standard plasticizer. Below that tbh I wouldnt bother , as the frost proofers IMO make the mortar horrible to use.BUT do cover all work up . I use hessian,but to buy a roll is expensive, so old blankets /quilts will do.
A basic rule in the construction industry is to keep work and materials as dry as possible   .
The  know all know nothing wankers who say why dont you work in the rain know fook all about what they are talking about. Rain spoils work , period.Its all part of the constant battle us builders do have with the elements !!   :(

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2013, 06:31:15 pm »
well said pitternator,  all correct, :)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2013, 12:28:44 am »
I wouldn't worry about frost on the mortar used for bedding but if you're pointing them up then try do it in the morning so if you get a frost the mortar will have gone off a bit and not much water left in it and keep it covered.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2013, 05:39:33 pm »
Thanks guys

As for pointing - i'm butting the slabs up then brushing in a dry mix later on.

found some tarp and some blankets in the shed earlier. The problem i have though is the bloody rain, i dont want to be laying onto wet ground. Every time it dries up.....it then just rains again!!!! god bless the UK  ;)

Cheers