Date: 15-06-24  Time: 23:48 pm

Author Topic: Off to BSD engineering in Peterborough  (Read 4743 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Off to BSD engineering in Peterborough
« on: 22 October 2013, 11:27:49 am »
To get me cb pc3 mapped. Done the airbox mod, it's a 160 mile round trip and it ain't raining.. New pirellis are bedded in nicely......ooh ya!
Have a good day blokes

marcusfordus

• CBT Wobbler
  • Back on a Yam
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Off to BSD engineering in Peterborough
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2013, 01:43:49 pm »
Nice bike, heavy as fcuk though.

I used to have the same red frame model back in 2007, comfy to ride, awesome torque from that motor,

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2013, 06:01:29 pm »
They do look the nuts for us old gits who still love the 70s & 80s stuff - Mad Max 1 an' all that!

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2013, 06:51:28 pm »
They do look the nuts for us old gits who still love the 70s & 80s stuff - Mad Max 1 an' all that!

I don't know,  I just got here myself
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2013, 06:53:42 pm »
Ahh, yes, still love that movie!

Are those wheels off a Jota?

:lol  Just recognised a colleague in the background, on the Oxford stand! I'll be doing that again this year.

Is the guy on the right really going to take a dump in his leathers?  :lol
« Last Edit: 22 October 2013, 06:58:32 pm by nick crisp »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2013, 08:14:04 pm »
The gooses bike! Cool as foc...did anyone see "stone", another Aussie bike movie, with a lot more bikes?
Bike made 120 bhp, slightly less than my old one, and prolly 15 bhp down on an ivanised gen1. But of course that ain't what these bikes are about, it makes 78ft/lb of torque at 3000 rpm with a smooth rise to nearly 90 at 6000. That and the smooth delivery all the way thru the rev range is it's trump card, along with the comfort. Fazer thous makes far more sense really, but I do love me ceebee...
It's funny how nowadays you get a dyno graph and think 120 bhp will do. Kenny Roberts legendary wild tz750 stroker gp bike made 125 at the crank, so probably 110 at the rear wheel. And the awesome 1976 z1 made 82, claimed, at the crank. They dynoed at something like 70...we got it pretty good nowadays ain't we :)
« Last Edit: 22 October 2013, 11:06:41 pm by ogri48 »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2013, 09:38:56 am »
Just remembered, they eventually got king Kenny's Tz up to 140 bhp (once again at the crank) over the 75- 76 season, he said at the time " they don't pay me enough money to ride that thing..."
I was 15 at the time. I used to save my weekend pocket money to buy motor cycle news (12p)and motorcycle weekly (10p) pn the way to school. You think mcn is a bit shit now? At least it's all in colour now, back in the day only the front page was lol :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2013, 10:01:05 am »
My first bike magazine was the August 1980 issue of "Bike". Touring test on the Ducati 900SS & Guzzi LeMans (mk II, a beautiful black and gold one), and a shoot out between the 500 Pantah and Laverda Montjuic  :b , also a write up on the Morini 500 Maestro. Pete Watson was writing a brilliant monthly column on the frustrations and joys of everyday riding, Dave Calderwood was still editor, Roland Brown was racing the Team Bike CB900, and Ogri was still going strong.....what a mag!!

Around that time, I saw Mad Max 1 for the first time, also Led Zeps movie "The Song Remains The Same". Got a Saturday job not long after that first mag at D & A Rayner Motorcycles in Chadwell Heath nr. Romford - Ducati, Laverda, Moto Guzzi, Yamaha - I was in heaven!  :)
My brother bought his Z650 in the same year, and that was it - I had bikes running thro my brain like a stick of Brighton rock!

Kenny Roberts TZ may not sound like the power figures were huge, but remember, it was still pretty light and it was a 2 stroke = powerband!! A guy used to go up High Beach on an unfaired TZ750 with lights - everyone was in awe of it!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2013, 10:30:28 am »
1980.. Hard to believe back then if you wanted a bike that could handle you a bought European. Back in '77 I had a rd250, most of my mates had 250 or 200 strokers though one had a moto Moroni or benelli ( can't remember) three and a half...not as quick as the strokers but left us for dead through a set of twisties. My first one after passing my test was a silver rd350b, then a rd400. When I first got my gen one fazer thou in blue, it took me right back to that 400, I loved that bike, the look, the sound, the way the exhaust note would go from an off beat burble to a banshee wail when you wound it on...

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2013, 10:35:37 am »
My first big four stroke was a cb900f nick, it was brilliant for a week ( wow 65 in first!!!) but pretty crap when I got used to it,burnt oil,  never pulled more than 125 with me on it( indicated so prolly 110) and I wanted my rd back, then I got one of the early GPz (air cooled) 750s, dream machine lime green paint, 135 mph and it handled, happy days :)
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 10:37:32 am by ogri48 »

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2013, 11:21:01 am »
1980.. Hard to believe back then if you wanted a bike that could handle you a bought European. Back in '77 I had a rd250, most of my mates had 250 or 200 strokers though one had a moto Moroni or benelli ( can't remember) three and a half...not as quick as the strokers but left us for dead through a set of twisties. My first one after passing my test was a silver rd350b, then a rd400. When I first got my gen one fazer thou in blue, it took me right back to that 400, I loved that bike, the look, the sound, the way the exhaust note would go from an off beat burble to a banshee wail when you wound it on...
....i tried most of jap stuff bk in 70,s..most fast as fk" but 90% handled like crap!!...then a mate of mine bought a brand new 850 commando"..i had a gl1000 at the time lovely smooth bike but struggled to get 120 mph on a good day?...we swapped for a full day and that was it?...3wks later sold the wing and got meself a manx silver 850 interstate!!...handled like a dream" went round islands and twisties  as if on rails!!...only 115 tops but what you lost in the straights you made up in cornering!!....still got it to this day been in storage years but still as good as it was then?...been offered silly money for it" but no way will i part with it?...i do intend to get it bk on road before i croak"..one day :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 11:23:04 am by CRH »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2013, 11:22:35 am »
The first RD I saw in the flesh was my brother's mates 350B (?), copper coloured paint, and some of his mates had RD400s. One guy had a CB900F in black, clip-ons, 4-1 etc - it looked the mutz.
I was working for Rayner when the Elsies came out. The shop was packed when the brochures came in for first the 250, then the 350, and never mind how many turned up when we actually got the bikes themselves in!  :lol

I also remember we used to have queues for the parts counter on a Saturday that went thro the shop, out the door and round the corner! What does that say about the bikes of the time, and/or the people that rode them?

I've had a 350 p/valve that was Stan Stephens stage 3'd, with Stephens/Lomas spannies, very quick. When I got the barrels back from The Man, I thought, Where's the foccin cylinder walls gone?!!  :b  Never ridden the older air cooled RDs tho.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2013, 11:45:04 am »
They were good mate, but not in the same league as the pumpers. I had a ypvs, but it was years later, the early LCs were the ones, and mine was at the end of ots life by the time I got it. Would have loved a commando, the only non yank bike mag when I was at school was motor cycle mechanics, and every month norton would have a full page ad on the inside front cover with a white or black one...gorgeous. The new uns are nice, but a helluva lot of money for not a lot of metal, and still a bit untried I guess
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 11:51:36 am by ogri48 »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2013, 11:49:43 am »
Nostalgia is a helluva drug innit, I think that's really why I got the cb, it is a brilliant two up tourer but it also looks like all the bikes I wanted back in the day, but actually delivers on the promise too. I'd love a seventies big jap, especially a gs1000e, but I know the reality of skinny tyres and crap brakes plus the insane prices everything like that fetches means absolutely not..I deffo wouldn't want another cb900 though, that bike put me off Hondas until the blades came out..
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 11:50:56 am by ogri48 »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2013, 12:04:10 pm »
I would like one of the old Jap fours if I had the dosh to trick it up nice - more modern suzzies, wider wheels, tuned motor, braced/strengthened frame etc, but keep the original looks. Have seen a few done like this - bet they scare the pants of newer stuff sometimes, if only for a moment......

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2013, 02:09:41 pm »
There was a Suzy gs thou I saw in a pub car park a few years back with a gsxr1100 usd front and swinging arm/ rear wheel so I know what you mean, it looked stunning.
If I do get another bike, and it's unlikely, it will be a clean late low miles gen 1 fazer thou. Was the best carbed bike I ever had I think

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2013, 04:51:28 pm »
Ahh Bike magazine in the early 80's, now there's a blast from the past.  My missus at the time (missus number 1) was editorial assistant on Practical Photography magazine which was on the other side of the corridor to Bike.  My mate Patrick was designer for Bike too and I went along for a photoshoot one day.  If you find the ads for Bike jackets (horrible brown and cream things) and Bike overalls with a couple of dodgy looking blokes with a BSA A10, that's me and Patrick.  If you also find an edition with a very short lived advertising campaign for Ogri bog rolls, that's my legs and feet in the photo......

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2013, 06:29:30 pm »
Old 80s bikes of mine :D

And the two that I have now :evil

First big bike I rode was a Honda 400/4, then a Katana 1100, but still kept with the 2 stokes  :D
And that's a nice CB you've got Ogri
Mark  :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2013, 06:44:13 pm »
Cool strokers dude, you gotta love em. That 350 is well minty, looks so much better naked too than the late faired ones.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 October 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
I do love taking out the old YPVS, still getting it to run right  :rolleyes , but my mate was surprised how quick it was when he was on his R6 :lol :lol
Mark

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 October 2013, 09:09:38 pm »
That's one nice example Mark - 350N? I built my 2nd incarnation p/valve out of my brother's one, just like yours, and my earlier one (little pro-am fairing - what model was that?) after we'd been in the same crash together  :lol

Those late full fairing models were built in Brazil and the finish was well shoddy. Can't see how they fetch so much as they do.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 October 2013, 09:51:26 pm »
Hi Nick, yes 350N , yours was a 31k MK1, yes the brazil ones are slow and cheaply made but still hold big money?
Had my 1st N1 in 1986, one I have now is an 1985, It looks better now than when I got it, was laying on its side with a tree growing through it :eek
some pics on photo bucket if you want I can post the link ( all public anyway)
SORRY FOR THE THREAD HI-JACK Ogri  :( :lol
Mark :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 October 2013, 09:59:04 pm »
Lol no worries bud I'd rather read about the Elsie's anyhoo... ;)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 October 2013, 10:05:35 pm »
Hi Nick, yes 350N , yours was a 31k MK1, yes the brazil ones are slow and cheaply made but still hold big money?
Had my 1st N1 in 1986, one I have now is an 1985, It looks better now than when I got it, was laying on its side with a tree growing through it :eek
some pics on photo bucket if you want I can post the link ( all public anyway)
SORRY FOR THE THREAD HI-JACK Ogri  :( :lol
Mark :)

Mine never had the accolade of having a tree growing thro it ( :eek ) but it did throw me into a hedge once  :lol
My brother's one went into an adjacent field, so it seems p/valves like the countryside  :lol  Like I've said before tho, I never intentionally ride off road...........

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 October 2013, 10:07:59 pm »
Thanks mate , I didn't want to wake up to find my front door bricked up !!! :lol :lol
Mark  :)