Date: 24-06-24  Time: 14:19 pm

Author Topic: Knock off fairings on ebay - any good?  (Read 2322 times)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Knock off fairings on ebay - any good?
« on: 18 October 2013, 11:52:29 am »
Does anyone have any experience with the knock off fairing copies on ebay? Specifically looking at a GRP one from Poland here.

Any good? Figured I'd probably be spending almost as much on getting current fairing repaired.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Knock off fairings on ebay - any good?
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2013, 12:25:47 pm »
Afaik the Chinese ones are the ones to stay away from- the paint jobs are decent enough but made from shitty cheap plastic!
The one you're looking at seems ok IMHO, as its eBay you could always send them a question asking for it cheaper or free postage or both with an understanding you'll give it a decent honest review on here, one of the most popular motorbike forums running!
Some say...

taurus66

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Kawasaki ZR7S
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2013, 01:32:57 pm »
To be honest, I make replica side covers and the biggest problem as a small producer is the accuracy or mounting holes etc. As i should imagine that their  production is hand made as well, compared to Injection moulded plastic parts.
These will be stronger than the original plastics and only marginally heavier, and a whole heap easier to repair too.

I would go for these without a second thought myself , but then i would working with fibre glass..

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2013, 04:49:45 pm »
Fairing repairs are easy if the mounting luggs are ok and you have a bit of common sense and patience.
I had a low speed of last year ,I bought a damaged one on e bay for not much , then repaired  and airosol painted it over a couple of week ends.
Things to be aware of though , your clock mountings could be damaged , main fairing bracket could be bent " this throws out of alignment the infill mountings. transfers are expensive, My fairing  is a silver colour , I found that a Mazda metalic silver was very close

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2013, 04:59:02 pm »
Yep, fairing mount is bent. Have attempted to bend it back into alignment. Still not perfect though, still aims slightly to the left.

Current fairing has one screw lug for the lights has snapped off (but I do have it). It has a nasty crack from top corner of light up, with a little chunk missing from corner at start of the crack. I'll get some quote to repair it, which should give me a better idea as to which way to go.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2013, 10:42:13 am »
If you want tips to do it yourself pm me!

smiler62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2014, 05:14:52 pm »
Sorry to jump on the end of this topic but I have a bent fairing mount and was looking for some advice on the best way to straighten it from people who have done it? Thanks in advance.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2014, 05:50:13 pm »
Sorry to jump on the end of this topic but I have a bent fairing mount and was looking for some advice on the best way to straighten it from people who have done it? Thanks in advance.
It's a fairly hefty bracket. Your best bet would probably be to bring it to an engineering workshop and they'll heat it and bend it back. Or have a look on ebay for a good used one.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2014, 08:56:40 am »
I went at it with a rubber mallet, however I could never get it quite perfect. I'm sure I managed to angle it up slightly now as well, as I've been getting a few people flashing their lights at me at night. :-/  I think a new one comes in at about £160, which ain't cheap really. I picked up another off ebay for £40, but haven't go round to fitting it, just hoping it isn't bent as well. Not noticeably, but then you don't really notice it being out slightly until the fairing and clocks are back on...
Taking it down a shop sounds like the best plan.