Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:06 am

Author Topic: To rebuild or break - from Malta  (Read 1448 times)

SMSAlmer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - None
    • View Profile
To rebuild or break - from Malta
« on: 16 October 2013, 09:04:06 pm »
Hi All!
Visiting FOC for some time now, first post, and unfortunately on a sad note.
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 2000 FZS600, and unfortunately found severely pitted forks (under fairing), as well as some rust on the frame. All three discs are also worn and need replacing and the fairing mount is bent probably due to a fall. (I have only had the bike for about 11 months). Paint is in slightly poor condition, and all carburetor inlet rubbers are cracked. Apart from that there is major servicing to do - rear calipers, valves, timing chain etc....

The engine, however is strong, starts first time round, and I never felt I needed any more power - this is my first bike (and what a bad deal it was, although I do like Fazers!).

TBH I always enjoyed riding it, but am wondering if I should spend my cash on a new ride? Would it be worth breaking it, especially considering in Malta there are not many Fazers, (I've only seen two others).  I would need to sell on here or on Ebay,

Thank you very much for reading!

Stefan

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: To rebuild or break - from Malta
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2013, 01:02:14 pm »
Well, sorry you paid over the odds for it, but it sounds to me like that is colouring your judgement a bit. Old bikes do need a fair bit spent on maintenance.
I'd concentrate on the things that matter and stop worrying about the cosmetic ones. If the pits in the forks aren't in the swept area they're not going to damage the seals. Likewise, flaking paint and rusty areas on the frame... it's a 13 year old bike and is to be expected. Use the usual products to tidy it up and slow the rust down, and just accept the bike won't be in concours condition.
You don't say what the mileage of the bike is, but the engine may well not need much doing to it... the valve clearances check is easy enough to do and chances are they won't need re-shimming. Check the camchain at the same time, you'll probably find it has life left in it if the bike's under 100,000 miles.
Brake discs sound like the biggest unavoidable expense, but there are usually a few cheap second hand rear ones on ebay (a bastard to change though). Fronts: you've a choice of second hand or budget aftermarket ones. Everyone says avoid the latter, though I've no experience of them myself... I opted for mid-priced EBC ones last time and wouldn't recommend them.
It doesn't sound to me as if breaking it is the best option. You'll land yourself with a heap of work for not much money and a large pile of unsaleable parts rusting in your back yard.  Either give it the attention it needs or sell it to someone who will and buy a 2 year old bike instead.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2013, 05:26:15 pm »
You don't seem to want more power, but you have to decide if the cosmetics and doing your own work on the bike will put you off. It does however sound like minor cosmetic corrosion as opposed to frame crumbling, terminal rot & there are plenty of people here who can offer good maintenance advice.
If you're not bothered about some corrosion keep her, if you are, go for something else.

You could of course also break it for parts, but although there are a lot of vultures here on this site eager for parts, they may be put off by postage charges from Malta.

SMSAlmer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2013, 06:26:47 pm »
Thank you very much for your advice, I will definitely go with it!  :)  Keep it cheap and cheerful, after all I mostly commute on it!

TBH, I had already ordered a set of EBC discs, will see how they will do.

The odometer says circa 25,000 - I always thought it is in KM, not sure now as the clock is disconnected, might be miles (it's a UK import).

Engine wise it does seem to be solid, I put the bad cosmetics down to the facts that it was kept outside. The salty environment doesn't help!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2013, 06:51:34 pm »
Good call. I hate to hear of another Fazer suffering a premature end. :)

Regarding the EBC discs: I find the slightest bit of dampness causes them to develop surface rust and the pads seize to them after being parked overnight. Not too bad if you can leave it under cover and if it's raining, dry the system out by dragging the brakes a bit to get some heat in there for the last mile of your journey.
Otherwise they're good (if a little "grabby" at low speed) and quite a bit lighter than the OE ones as the centre is alloy.

fergysteven

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2013, 12:56:10 pm »
Your bike sounds pretty similar to mine rusted frame, flaking paint, pitted forks but my bike had a broken fairing.
I decided to just touch up the rust and flaking paint, live with the pitting (went over it with some aluminium foil) and streetfightered the front end with twin chrome headlights.
It has given the bike a new lease of life and smartened it up no end, my intension is to ride it for another year not spend much more money on it and upgrade to newer bike.
Unless you are going the full restoration route full strip down and rebuild and plan to keep it i wouldnt sink to much money into it.

Steve

SMSAlmer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2013, 08:45:39 am »
That's one of the nice things about having a motorcycle I think - you WILL make it your own to suite your needs, in a way you cannot do with a car. :)

My Fazer has grown on me - I would hate to see it go - especially now that I am stripping it down and seeing it naked :D[size=78%] [/size]

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2013, 09:40:36 am »

My Fazer has grown on me - I would hate to see it go - especially now that I am stripping it down and seeing it naked :D

If you put a bag over her head, you can pretend she's someone else..... ;)