Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:57 pm

Author Topic: exhaust header nut help  (Read 2149 times)

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
exhaust header nut help
« on: 01 December 2011, 08:04:22 am »
As a bolt was snapped, part of the shaft still remains with thread on however theres not enough room to squeeze a standard nut on there.

my question is can you get partly sunk nut that would fit through the header plate and bolt on for a temporary measure?

bikes an 03 fzs 600
« Last Edit: 01 December 2011, 08:06:31 am by Fazer Jake »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust header nut help
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2011, 09:18:08 am »
I've not seen such nuts on sale, but when I sheared one of the studs on my Fazer, I cobbled something similar together by welding two nuts together and filing. Alternatively and perhaps easier, short length of steel rod could be tapped with a 6mm thread and filed.

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2011, 03:34:37 pm »
I've not seen such nuts on sale, but when I sheared one of the studs on my Fazer, I cobbled something similar together by welding two nuts together and filing. Alternatively and perhaps easier, short length of steel rod could be tapped with a 6mm thread and filed.

something like this i was thinking

so it just fits through the header as a temp measure

need help on size/where to loook tho

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2011, 10:35:55 am »
Don't know where you would get exactly what you want but you can get M6 threaded coupling nuts about 18mm long. These are just a very deep nut. Like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-COUPLING-NUTS-QTY-2-/170734629943?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item6d710a1f09
You could probably get these from any local fastener supplier but would still have to file or grind the end into a round shape to fit through your clamp plate. (I'm assuming you don't have a lathe or you would have made one already). I'm thinking the spigot on the nut would need to be at least 7.5mm dia so you will probably have to open up the hole in the plate to about 8mm for it to fit in. 

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2011, 10:32:18 pm »
Try this...cut a slot with a hacksaw in the remaining portion wrap a rag or cotton wool around and soak it in penetrating oil ...leave overnight..remove the material and heat the stud to red hot with a blowtorch...as it cools insert an impact driver with a plain bit in the slot and twat it one...if the stud moves resist temptation and give it a further spray of penetrating oil then unscrew with a plain screwdriver ...If it tightens up and 'binds' screw in slightly...lubricate then try again
The Frying Scotsman